Signal Transmission Using Sound Waves

In summary: We can add a steampunky solution - an ear trumpet at one end, a hydrogen-filled tube with membranes on each end in between, and a gramophone horn on the other.Pipes can be used for communications when the velocity of the filling is less than the wall of the pipe. That is because the deviant wavefront energy is refracted and turned back into the tube, like light in a graded refractive index optic fibre.In this case, the velocity in the wall of the pipe, and the internal velocity, must both be above 1 km/sec. Air is too slow, so it is out of the question.A steel or polymer pipe filled with water would also solve the problem.
eidolon171
Consider the following thought experiment...

You are an engineer with a very peculiar assignment. With a mind to reduce the investment of excessive human labor and material waste, you have been asked to build an apparatus similar to an old-fashioned voicepipe. You are asked to ensure that the voicepipe is capable of transmitting a sound produced at location A, and which can be heard distinctly at location B, exactly 5km away. You are allowed to have no more than a 5-second delay between locations A and B. Understand that you will be asked to demonstrate your apparatus by transmitting two distinct frequencies through the voicepipe: a 400Hz wave and a 4kHz wave (lets assume you are using two tuning forks to produce these signals). What do you think is the best method to accomplish this feat?

You may not use electronic devices to amplify your sound wave. However, please note the spirit of this requirement. We do not discount the phenomenon of electro-magnetism potentially aiding in your solution, only that electronic devices themselves are illegal in this scenario.

Physics news on Phys.org
eidolon171 said:
Summary:: To better understand the phenomena of Acoustic Resonance over Distance, and how to propagate or maintain significant energy in a Harmonic system.

Consider the following thought experiment...

You are an engineer with a very peculiar assignment. With a mind to reduce the investment of excessive human labor and material waste, you have been asked to build an apparatus similar to an old-fashioned voicepipe. You are asked to ensure that the voicepipe is capable of transmitting a sound produced at location A, and which can be heard distinctly at location B, exactly 5km away. You are allowed to have no more than a 5-second delay between locations A and B. Understand that you will be asked to demonstrate your apparatus by transmitting two distinct frequencies through the voicepipe: a 400Hz wave and a 4kHz wave (lets assume you are using two tuning forks to produce these signals). What do you think is the best method to accomplish this feat?

You may not use electronic devices to amplify your sound wave. However, please note the spirit of this requirement. We do not discount the phenomenon of electro-magnetism potentially aiding in your solution, only that electronic devices themselves are illegal in this scenario.
(bold emphasis added by me) So you want to use sound to communicate supersonically over 5km. That doesn't sound very do-able without EM for most of the 5km. Unless you run a 5km long metal rod to couple your sound into...

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Unless you run a 5km long metal rod to couple your sound into...
But without electronics I don't know how you could effectively couple the sound. Can you touch the base of the tuning fork to a long metal rod?

If it is a pipe, can you fill it with water and add an impedance matching system to each end to efficiently couple to the air?

Though if the ban is only on electronic (as opposed to electric and electromagnetic), running apair of copper wires between two telephone earpieces would be easiest. Any sort of pipe would be much more "labour" and "material" wasteful. But how it (or any other solution) relates to acoustic resonance, I don't know.

Last edited:
Dale said:
long metal rod
Merlin3189 said:
fill it with water

Why not a microphone and loudspeaker? Then you only need to run wires.

Likes russ_watters and Merlin3189
Merlin3189 said:
Though if the ban is only on electronic (as opposed to electric and electromagnetic), running apair of copper wires between two telephone earpieces would be easiest.
Hmm, you think telephone earpieces are not electronics?

I think we need to understand what the OP's ground rules are - does he really require supersonic transmission?

We can add a steampunky solution - an ear trumpet at one end, a hydrogen-filled tube with membranes on each end in between, and a gramophone horn on the other.

Pipes can be used for communications when the velocity of the filling is less than the wall of the pipe. That is because the deviant wavefront energy is refracted and turned back into the tube, like light in a graded refractive index optic fibre.

In this case, the velocity in the wall of the pipe, and the internal velocity, must both be above 1 km/sec. Air is too slow, so it is out of the question.

A steel or polymer pipe filled with water would also solve the problem.
(Water = 1480 m/s); (Fe = 5950 m/s); (Polyethylene = 1950 m/s).
The problem with water would be the high attenuation of 5 kHz pressure waves.

If two metals were used, such as galvanised iron wire, the iron would need to be polished first, then heavily galvanised. (Zn = 4210 m/s; Fe = 5950 m/s ). The problem there is launching the energy into the iron core, and the wall being slower than the core.

Looks like the OP is out voting, so we may need to wait until later tonight or tomorrow to get their feedback.

This is not meant as a criticism to any of the other commenters, but personally I like how methodically @Baluncore has decided to approach the issue. That said, I urge all commenters to consider the basics before jumping right into building your systems.

What kind of energy are you putting into your wave?
How could the tuning fork be made more energetic?
What impedances will your wave encounter?
How can the pipe be made more conductive?

Several people have raised questions about bending the rules (particularly with regard to EM). To be clear; circumvention of the ban on electronic devices is highly encouraged by your employer. But be careful, if your system looks too much like an electronic device you could be arrested!

Dale said:
Can you touch the base of the tuning fork to a long metal rod?

Yes. A metal rod is considered a conductor, you are allowed to use it.

For clarification: An electronic device is considered any type of functional Capacitor, Inductor, Transistor, etc. Of course, you as the system designer cannot be held liable for the naturally occurring EM behavior of some object or system, but you cannot intentionally rely on an electronic device to perform work.

Merlin3189 said:
If it is a pipe, can you fill it with water and add an impedance matching system to each end to efficiently couple to the air?

Though if the ban is only on electronic (as opposed to electric and electromagnetic), running apair of copper wires between two telephone earpieces would be easiest. Any sort of pipe would be much more "labour" and "material" wasteful. But how it (or any other solution) relates to acoustic resonance, I don't know.

You are allowed to fill the pipe with anything you want (including any rare form of matter). You may change the pipe form and material with anything you want. It can be closed or open. You can even use two separate pipes if you wanted to make an internal waveguide for each of the two frequencies.

Avoiding Harmonics altogether is not a valid solution to the problem as stated, but you are absolutely right that it is worth mentioning. I am sure that your employer is particularly interested in hearing if there is a “cheaper” alternative.

As stated in the reply above; copper wire is only considered a conductor, it is not considered an electronic device, therefore it is allowed. Although, when you use the term "telephone earpieces" that sounds like it might be an electronic device, and remember those are illegal!

Vanadium 50 said:
I think we need to understand what the OP's ground rules are - does he really require supersonic transmission?

We can add a steampunky solution - an ear trumpet at one end, a hydrogen-filled tube with membranes on each end in between, and a gramophone horn on the other.

I very much appreciate the image you created in your response. I feel it adds a fitting visual element to the story.

I think I understand your request, and I will attempt to clarify, but please correct me if this is not the statement you are looking for:

Given that sound waves travel through the air travel at roughly 340 m/s, and given that you must devise a system that carries sound waves at 1000 m/s this would be a Supersonic sound system. Your proposal does include filling the tube with hydrogen, which should allow your wave to travel at about 1270 m/s, and that's marvelous, but without something to propagate the wave across such a long distance, wouldn't it lose energy before it ever reaches location B? If not how can you prove that to your employer?

Technically a maser isn't an electronic device ##-## it doesn't rely on electron flow for signal propagation ##-## but it can still amplify a microwave signal.

sysprog said:
Technically a maser isn't an electronic device - it doesn't rely on electron flow for signal propagation ##-## but it can still amplify a microwave signal.

I have not considered using a maser as a potential solution. Though I do think you might be able to make a case for converting the analogue acoustical frequency somehow, and transmitting it to a receiver that will convert it back into the original tone.

I will say that the anti-electronic device police agree with you that a maser is not, in theory, an electronic device. Having said that I do wonder about how you could apply such an apparatus toward fulfilling the intended function. I imagine that you would use your microwave transmission as a carrier wave, and add either your 400Hz signal or your 4kHz signal to the carrier. But that means you would have to modulate your microwave somehow at location A, emit that microwave transmission, and receive the signal at location B, analyze that transmission, and convert it into an analogue frequency. Could it be done without the aid of electronics anywhere in the process?

A stick of dynamite will get a signal there in plenty of time.

I think you could make a seismometer without electronics.

But getting the frequencies right might be tricky.

(You might set off 400 sticks over a one second duration, but setting off 4000 over one second might be a little destructive.)

Likes sophiecentaur and jasonRF

1. How do sound waves transmit signals?

Sound waves transmit signals through the vibration of particles in a medium, such as air or water. When a source, such as a speaker, creates vibrations, they travel through the medium and can be detected by a receiver, such as a microphone.

2. What is the speed of sound and how does it affect signal transmission?

The speed of sound varies depending on the medium it is traveling through, but in general, it travels at approximately 343 meters per second in air. This speed affects signal transmission by determining how quickly the signal can reach the receiver. The faster the speed of sound, the quicker the signal can be transmitted.

3. Can sound waves transmit signals through any medium?

No, sound waves require a medium to travel through. They cannot travel through a vacuum, such as outer space, because there are no particles for them to vibrate and transmit the signal.

4. How is the quality of sound waves affected by signal transmission?

The quality of sound waves can be affected by a variety of factors during signal transmission. These can include interference from other sources, distance traveled, and the medium the sound waves are traveling through. The quality of the receiver and the strength of the signal can also impact the quality of the sound waves.

5. What are some real-world applications of signal transmission using sound waves?

Signal transmission using sound waves has many practical applications, such as in telecommunications, underwater communication, and medical imaging. It is also used in everyday devices like cell phones, radios, and speakers for audio communication and entertainment purposes.