Signal Rectification For Mixer VU Display

• Thread starter MathsDude69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary: In summary, the amplitude range of the input signal is symmetric about 0V, so just adjust the amplitude and offset of the signal to match the 0-5V input range of the ADC. Amplitude and offset adjustments can be done with opamp circuits...It's called an "Envelope Follower", or in simpler times a bridge rectifier with a capacitor filter.
MathsDude69
Hey Guys,

Im currently designing a primitive audio mixer unit using opamp circuits for simple filters/crossover networks. Prior to the signal being run through a power amp circuit I am looking to pass the signal to an ATmega328 MCU which has an ADC with a range from 0 to 5 Volts outputting to a digital range of 0 - 1023. This range is then remapped to fit the range 0 - 10 and the MCU outputs this visually to an 10 segement LED bargraph. The issue I am having is the the initial audio signal is an AC waveform. Thus half of the time the ADC would be sampling a negative voltage :-( Naturally if I bridge rectify this signal the magnitude of the waveform will be minus 2 diode potential barriers (-1.4 volts assuming silicon diodes are used) or even worse the magnitude of the original signal will be less than the forward voltage of the two diodes in which case no signal will pass. Does anyone know a solution to this problem??

Engineering news on Phys.org
MathsDude69 said:
Hey Guys,

Im currently designing a primitive audio mixer unit using opamp circuits for simple filters/crossover networks. Prior to the signal being run through a power amp circuit I am looking to pass the signal to an ATmega328 MCU which has an ADC with a range from 0 to 5 Volts outputting to a digital range of 0 - 1023. This range is then remapped to fit the range 0 - 10 and the MCU outputs this visually to an 10 segement LED bargraph. The issue I am having is the the initial audio signal is an AC waveform. Thus half of the time the ADC would be sampling a negative voltage :-( Naturally if I bridge rectify this signal the magnitude of the waveform will be minus 2 diode potential barriers (-1.4 volts assuming silicon diodes are used) or even worse the magnitude of the original signal will be less than the forward voltage of the two diodes in which case no signal will pass. Does anyone know a solution to this problem??

What is the amplitude range of the input signal? You say it is symmetric about 0V, so just adjust the amplitude and offset of the signal to match the 0-5V input range of the ADC. Amplitude and offset adjustments can be done with opamp circuits...

It's called an "Envelope Follower", or in simpler times a bridge rectifier with a capacitor filter. Basically you want to turn your AC into a slowly varying DC, just like a power-supply, usually using diodes. You can use an opamp to get around the .7v diode drop. I used to have a nice circuit someplace, but you should be able to find one online.

It seems a bit of an overkill to use an ATMEGA chip as a VU meter...but if you got them...

Good point about the VU meter -- Hey MathsDude, are you going to convert the signal strength into the LED bargraph display according to the Volume Units standard of VU meters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter

Absolute value circuit is what you want. It is a non-linear op-amp circuit that works just like a full wave rectifier without the lost .7 volts. Google it and I'm sure you will come up with a schematic.

Maybe the AC-to-DC converter in figure 4 is a solution to OP's problem?

http://www.freeweb.hu/kredi/elek/telj/acdcpr.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Signal Rectification For Mixer VU Display

1. What is signal rectification for mixer VU display?

Signal rectification for mixer VU display is a process that converts the audio signal from an analog mixer into a visual representation on a VU meter. This allows the user to accurately monitor the audio levels and make adjustments as needed.

2. Why is signal rectification important for mixer VU display?

Signal rectification is important because it allows the user to accurately monitor the audio levels, ensuring that the sound is not distorted or too quiet. It also helps to prevent damage to equipment by preventing excessively high audio levels.

3. How does signal rectification work for mixer VU display?

Signal rectification works by converting the alternating current (AC) audio signal from the mixer into a direct current (DC) signal. This DC signal is then displayed on the VU meter, providing a visual representation of the audio levels.

4. What are the different types of signal rectification for mixer VU display?

There are two main types of signal rectification for mixer VU display: full-wave rectification and half-wave rectification. Full-wave rectification uses both the positive and negative portions of the AC signal, while half-wave rectification only uses the positive portion.

5. How can I ensure accurate signal rectification for my mixer VU display?

To ensure accurate signal rectification, it is important to properly calibrate your VU meter and regularly check for any potential issues such as loose connections or faulty equipment. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of how signal rectification works and to consult the manufacturer's instructions for your specific mixer and VU meter.