Sigma Notation and Product Notation

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation ln [∏(k=1)^n a^k] = Ʃ_(k=1)^n * ln (a_k) and used calculus to calculate the limit as n tends to infinity of ∏_(k=1)^n e^\frac{k^2}{n^3}. The solution involved understanding the notation and applying the distributive property and the concept of limits to find that the limit diverges to infinity.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Notice that [itex] ln [∏(k=1)^n a^k] = Ʃ_(k=1)^n * ln (a_k) [/itex]

I couldn't get the LaTeX right on this ^ But k=1 is below the product sign, and n is above. And (a^k) is the formula.
From this, as well as some calculus, calculate that:

[itex] lim as n->∞ ∏_(k=1)^n e^\frac{k^2}{n^3} [/itex]

For this ^ the limit is as n tends to infinity, and k=1 is below the product sign, and n is above the product sign.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first equation I think is an example of the distributive property? However, I am not sure how to show that the limit would tend to infinity for the second part, without applying actual values? (When the limit becomes 1/0 is infinity?)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the limit exists and is equal to L. Then,

[tex]L = \lim_{n\to\infty} \prod_{k=1}^n e^\frac{k^2}{n^3}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \ln(L) = \ln\bigl(\lim_{n\to\infty} \prod_{k=1}^n e^\frac{k^2}{n^3}\bigr)[/tex]

[tex]\implies \ln(L) = \lim_{n\to\infty} \ln\bigl(\prod_{k=1}^n e^\frac{k^2}{n^3}\bigr)[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm oversimplifying the problem here, but would my logic work?

The index is from k=1 to n, and n goes to infinity. so lim as n-> ∞ and k=1, so k^2= 1^2= 1, and n^3= ∞, so 1/∞= 0, and e^0= 1?

Thank you.

Justabeginner said:
The index is from k=1 to n, and n goes to infinity. so lim as n-> ∞ and k=1, so k^2= 1^2= 1, and n^3= ∞, so 1/∞= 0, and e^0= 1?
Thank you.
You are misunderstanding the notation ##\prod_{k=1}^{n}## It means k takes on all integer values between 1 and n inclusive. So k is not always 1, it's initial value is 1.
Once you understand this, after the above posters last step, consider the hint given to you in the question.

I think the limit is infinity, after considering your and QEDAndrew's hints. Is this correct? Thank you.

Justabeginner said:
the limit is infinity
Rather, you should say '...diverges to ##+\infty##'.

Is this correct? Thank you.
I don't think it is correct. Show your work.

Okay WOW. I did not find this response in the message board, and just realized that it was in my list of unsolved problems (on here). However, I think I've got it, so I really appreciate your help CAF123. I can't believe I responded so late though. I've been working on other stuff, so pardon my absence.

Related to Sigma Notation and Product Notation

1. What is Sigma Notation and Product Notation?

Sigma notation and product notation are mathematical notations used to represent sums and products, respectively. These notations are useful when dealing with long sums or products and can be used to express them more concisely.

2. How is Sigma Notation and Product Notation used?

Sigma notation and product notation are used to represent repeated sums and products. They are commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, statistics, and discrete mathematics.

3. What is the difference between Sigma Notation and Product Notation?

The main difference between sigma notation and product notation is that sigma notation represents a sum of terms, while product notation represents a product of terms. In sigma notation, the terms are added together, whereas in product notation, the terms are multiplied together.

4. How do you evaluate a Sigma Notation or Product Notation expression?

To evaluate a sigma notation or product notation expression, you need to substitute the values of the index variable into the expression and then perform the appropriate operation (addition for sigma notation, multiplication for product notation) to get the final result.

5. What are some real-life applications of Sigma Notation and Product Notation?

Sigma notation and product notation are used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the total salary of employees, finding the total cost of a project, and determining the total profit of a company. They are also used in physics to represent the sum of forces or the product of vectors.