Side/roll when exposed to a strong gust of wind

• Thread starter broisdumb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary: I don't think it would have made a difference. There is too much open space for the wind to affect the truck. A truck with aero would have a better chance of resisting the wind, but this doesn't mean that all aero trucks are more stable in high winds.If the car was set up with any aero at all it would have more down force applying to the tires if moving at a decent speed.
broisdumb
Could someone please give me an answer with a scientific explanation for:

Would a stationary vehicle or the same vehicle moving straight, at speed be more likely to be flipped over onto its side/roll when exposed to a strong gust of wind blowing at its side ("approx. perpendicular to the vehicle/direction of the vehicle")?

Its based on an argument I'm having, i have my thoughts but don't have a scientific explanation or reasoning -.-

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

If the vehicle is moving, and it's just a short gust of wind, the vehicle could steer to prevent rolling over. There might be a minor stability affect due to gyroscopic forces at the tires, but this would only help with the unsprung stuff below the shocks and springs, like the tires.

if the car was set up with any aero at all
it would have more down force applying to the tires if moving at a decent speed
ya got to be mving to make the down force via splitters , rear spoilers/ wings etc
to some degree this applies to side force wind too, so IMO
a good aero car will be more stable moving than stationary simply because of the slippery aero features
if it is a 66 Dodge Corent or Ford Fairlane that was slab side box design
or tall Jeep Wrangler it probably would not matter
i just saw a video on Fox News about a semi tractor trailer being blown over by winds
the sheriffs car following had the camera rolling
but the truck/trailer had all kinds of square footage area that the gust of wind hit
cruiser following it was not effected

bottom line is
if you got enuff blow, you"ll go..over

Ranger Mike said:
i just saw a video on Fox News about a semi tractor trailer being blown over by winds
the sheriffs car following had the camera rolling
but the truck/trailer had all kinds of square footage area that the gust of wind hit
cruiser following it was not effected

thats what started the argument haha...the reporter said that the sheriff had told the truck to pull over before it was blown over...so would pulling over have saved it?

i doubt it
too much area for wind to hit
trucker should have parked it some where like a gulley
behind big building
anything to break the wind
but i have no emperical data just opinion
you know what free advice is worth

broisdumb said:
thats what started the argument haha...the reporter said that the sheriff had told the truck to pull over before it was blown over...so would pulling over have saved it?
Hard to say, but I am sure the main point of enforcing the pull overs is that it avoids the roll over or loss of control _while_ the truck is moving at ~50mph which has a much greater chance of blocking the highway and injuring someone.

He could have found an overpass to sit under or pulled over at a turn where he would be pointed into the wind until the storm passed.

Related to Side/roll when exposed to a strong gust of wind

1. What causes a side/roll when exposed to a strong gust of wind?

The side/roll motion is caused by the force of the wind pushing against the object, causing it to tilt or rotate.

2. Can side/roll be dangerous?

In certain situations, a side/roll motion can be dangerous, especially for larger objects such as vehicles or boats. This can cause loss of control and potential accidents.

3. How can we prevent side/roll when exposed to strong gusts of wind?

Properly securing and anchoring objects in place can help prevent side/roll motion. Additionally, using wind-resistant materials and designs can also help minimize the effects of strong winds.

4. Are there any factors that can increase the likelihood of side/roll when exposed to strong gusts of wind?

Yes, objects with a high center of gravity, such as tall structures or top-heavy vehicles, are more susceptible to side/roll motion in strong winds. The speed and direction of the wind, as well as the shape and weight distribution of the object, can also play a role.

5. Is side/roll only a concern for outdoor objects?

No, side/roll motion can also occur indoors, especially in large open spaces or buildings with high ceilings. This can be a concern for objects such as scaffolding or tall furniture that may topple over in strong gusts of wind.