Showing that the real Klein-gordon lagrangian is Lorentz invariant

In summary, Shyan is trying to solve a problem but doesn't understand how to get rid of a factor in his final answer. He is unsure if his equation is true or not.
Dixanadu
Note that the attempt part of the homework template is mandatory

Homework Statement

Hey guys!

So this question should be simple apparently but I got no idea how to do it. Basically I have the following Lagrangian density
[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi)-\frac{m}{2}\phi^{2}[/itex]

which should be invariant under Lorentz transformations - that is:

[itex]\phi^{'}(x^{'})=\phi(x)[/itex]

And so I have to show that under this transformation, the lagrangian density above is Lorentz invariant.

No idea where to start guys so please help me :D thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you once again Shyan.

The only thing is: in my final answer I have a factor of [itex]\eta_{\mu\sigma}[/itex] floating around, as a result of the product of both Lambdas. What does this mean? how do I get rid of it?

you can see my final answer here:

[itex]\mathcal{L}'=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\rho}\phi')(\partial^{\sigma}\phi')\Lambda^{\rho}_{\mu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\sigma} -\frac{m}{2}\phi'^{2}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\rho}\phi')(\partial^{\sigma}\phi')\eta_{\mu\sigma} -\frac{m}{2}\phi'^{2}[/itex].

Dont know what to do with the metric tensor eta.

You should recheck your contraction of the lambdas. As it stands you have a few indices floating around in the RHS where there are no free indices on the LHS.

Okay thank you. Can you please tell me if this equation is true:

[itex]\partial_{\mu}\phi=\frac{\partial\phi'}{\partial x'^{\rho}}\frac{\partial x'^{\rho}}{\partial x'^{\mu}}=\partial_{\rho}\phi'\Lambda^{\rho}_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}'\phi'[/itex]

No, that should be as below:
[itex]
\partial_\mu \phi=\partial_\mu \phi'=\frac{\partial \phi'}{\partial x^\mu}=\frac{\partial \phi'}{\partial x'^\rho}\frac{\partial x'^\rho}{\partial x^\mu}=\Lambda^\rho_\mu \partial'_\rho \phi'
[/itex]

Thanks Shyan but I don't understand how you get [itex]\partial'_{\rho}[/itex] in the final RHS? Where did that prime come from? Essentially I'm asking if its true that [itex]\Lambda_{\mu}^{\rho}\partial_{\rho}=\partial'_{\mu}[/itex]. I think you asked this question in your post that you linked to but no one really said if its right or wrong so I'm just wondering.

Cos now I've ended up with the following:

[itex]\mathcal{L}'=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\rho}\phi')(\partial_{\sigma}\phi')g^{\rho\sigma}-\frac{m}{2}\phi'^{2}[/itex]

and I'm not sure if this proves Lorentz invariance?

Dixanadu said:
Thanks Shyan but I don't understand how you get [itex]\partial'_{\rho}[/itex] in the final RHS? Where did that prime come from? Essentially I'm asking if its true that [itex]\Lambda_{\mu}^{\rho}\partial_{\rho}=\partial'_{\mu}[/itex]. I think you asked this question in your post that you linked to but no one really said if its right or wrong so I'm just wondering.
Do you see that [itex] \partial'_\rho \phi=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x'^\rho} [/itex] and that its all just chain rule?
Dixanadu said:
Cos now I've ended up with the following:

[itex]\mathcal{L}'=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\rho}\phi')(\partial_{\sigma}\phi')g^{\rho\sigma}-\frac{m}{2}\phi'^{2}[/itex]

and I'm not sure if this proves Lorentz invariance?
If by [itex] g^{\rho \sigma}[/itex] you mean the Minkowski metric, then its done because we have: [itex] \partial'_\rho \phi' \partial'_\sigma \phi' g^{\rho \sigma}=\partial'^\sigma \phi' \partial'_\sigma \phi'=\partial'_\rho \phi' \partial'^\rho \phi' [/itex].

im just confused about the prime, I'm not sure what the prime in [itex]\partial'_{\rho}\phi[/itex] means hmm. But yea I got the rest...thank you :)

Dixanadu said:
im just confused about the prime, I'm not sure what the prime in [itex]\partial'_{\rho}\phi[/itex] means hmm. But yea I got the rest...thank you :)
That prime only means we're differentiating w.r.t. primed coordinates. Don't think that if you use different greek letters for super- and sub-scripts, it can represent different coordinate systems. Its a very dangerous idea!

Last edited:
Cool thank you man :)

Related to Showing that the real Klein-gordon lagrangian is Lorentz invariant

1. What is the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian?

The Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is a mathematical expression used to describe the dynamics of a scalar field, which is a type of field that has a single value at each point in space and time. It is commonly used in quantum field theory to model particles with spin 0, such as the Higgs boson.

2. How does the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian relate to Lorentz invariance?

The Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is required to be Lorentz invariant, which means that it must have the same form in all inertial frames of reference. This is because it describes the behavior of particles in special relativity, which is based on the principle of Lorentz invariance.

3. What does it mean to show that the real Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant?

To show that the real Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant, we must demonstrate that it remains unchanged when we transform it from one inertial frame of reference to another. This involves applying the Lorentz transformation equations to the Lagrangian and showing that it remains the same in both frames.

4. Why is it important to prove that the real Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant?

It is important to prove that the real Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant because it is a fundamental principle of special relativity. Additionally, the Klein-Gordon equation, which is derived from the Lagrangian, is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum field theory, so it is essential that it is consistent with the principles of special relativity.

5. How is the Lorentz invariance of the real Klein-Gordon Lagrangian tested?

The Lorentz invariance of the real Klein-Gordon Lagrangian can be tested through theoretical calculations and experimental observations. Theoretical tests involve applying the Lorentz transformation equations to the Lagrangian and verifying that it remains unchanged. Experimental tests involve studying the behavior of particles in different inertial frames of reference and comparing the results to the predictions of the Klein-Gordon equation.