Showing that rings kZ and lZ, where l≠k are not isomorphic.

• Thread starter jmjlt88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that certain rings are not isomorphic by defining an arbitrary isomorphism and reaching a contradiction. The approach of letting f(k) = ln is considered, but a hint is requested. The hint suggests considering f(k^2) and using it to deduce that k=ln. The conversation ends with a suggestion to think about the inverse map and continue with a similar approach.
jmjlt88
I have shown that Z is not isomorphic to 2Z and that 2Z is not isomorphic to 3Z. I need now to generalize this. Thus, to prove that rings kZ and lZ, where l≠k are not isomorphic, I need to define an arbitrary isomorphism, and reach a contradiction. So here's what I am thinking. I let f: kZ->lZ be a isomorphism. Then, f(k)=ln , where n is some integer. This is true since k in kZ has to go to some multiple of l. From here, I have just been tinkering around trying to get k to map to 0 so that f is not injective. This worked for the first two. Is this the right approach? Not really looking for a hint, but just an "okay" to keep trying working with this line of reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I think that's a valid approach. Go on, you'll get there.

Ask anytime if you want a hint :-p

Okay, I give! =) A little hint would be great. When working with specific numbers, it was so easy to show that an isomorphism cannot exist. Now, I cannot get anything to work (or not work, I guess). A nudge in the right direction would be nice. Or else, this problem will keep me up all night!

jmjlt88 said:
Okay, I give! =) A little hint would be great. When working with specific numbers, it was so easy to show that an isomorphism cannot exist. Now, I cannot get anything to work (or not work, I guess). A nudge in the right direction would be nice. Or else, this problem will keep me up all night!

Think about [itex]f(k^2)[/itex].

Hmmmm...

I worked with that for while. Perhaps, I couldn't see the forest through the trees (or maybe I made an error). Here's what I had.

f(k2)=f(k)f(k)=l2n2

f(k k)=f(k)+f(k)+...+f(k) [k-times]=k(ln)

Now, I know that k≠l. But perhaps there would be a problem if k=ln?

OK, so we can deduce that k=ln.

Now think about the inverse map [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] and do something similar.

Related to Showing that rings kZ and lZ, where l≠k are not isomorphic.

1. What is an isomorphism in the context of rings kZ and lZ?

An isomorphism between two rings is a bijective map that preserves the ring structure. This means that the two rings are essentially the same, just with different names for the elements.

2. Why is it important to show that rings kZ and lZ are not isomorphic?

Proving that two rings are not isomorphic allows us to distinguish between them and understand their unique properties. It also helps us in constructing new rings and understanding the relationships between different mathematical structures.

3. How can we show that rings kZ and lZ are not isomorphic?

We can show that two rings are not isomorphic by finding a property that one ring has but the other does not. In the case of rings kZ and lZ, we can show that they have different numbers of elements, which means they cannot have a bijective map between them.

4. Can rings kZ and lZ ever be isomorphic?

No, rings kZ and lZ can never be isomorphic if l and k are different prime numbers. This is because of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer has a unique prime factorization. Since l and k are different prime numbers, their corresponding rings will have different elements and therefore cannot be isomorphic.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that rings kZ and lZ are not isomorphic?

Yes, we can also use the fact that isomorphic rings have the same properties, such as the same number of units and zero divisors. We can also consider the characteristic of the rings, which is the smallest positive integer n such that n multiplied by any element in the ring equals zero. Since kZ and lZ have different characteristics, they cannot be isomorphic.