Showing that an element has order 2 if product of 2-cycles

In summary: This is of course legitimate in a professional conversation, but not in a homework. That's why I asked you for the definition of cycle decomposition.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that an element has order 2 in ##S_n## if and only if its cycle decomposition is a product of commuting 2-cycles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that ##\sigma \in S_n## and ##| \sigma | =2##. Let the cycle decomposition of ##\sigma## be the following: ##\sigma = c_1 c_2 \dots c_m##. Then ##| \sigma | = lcm (|c_1|, |c_2|, \dots , |c_m|) = 2##. This is the case only if the ##|c_i| = 1## or ##|c_i| = 2## with at least one such that ##|c_i| = 2##. Hence ##\sigma## is a product of disjoint 2-cycles.
\Now, suppose that the cycle decomposition of ##\sigma## is a product of commuting 2-cycles: ##\sigma = c_1 c_2 \dots c_m##, where ##|c_1| = \cdots = |c_m| = 2##. Then ##| \sigma | = lcm (|c_1|, |c_2|, \dots, |c_m|) = lcm (2,2, \dots, 2) = 2##.

Is this at all a correct proof? Is there a way to do this without assuming a permutation can be decomposed uniquely into disjoint cycles, or that the order of a permutation is the least common multiple of the orders of the cycles in is decomposition?

Physics news on Phys.org
This works if you have previously shown that ##|\sigma| = \operatorname{lcm}(|c_i|)##. The cleaner way is to just use that the ##c_i## have order 2 (which is trivial to show) and that, since they commute, ##\sigma^2 = c_1^2 c_2^2 \ldots c_m^2 = e^m = e##.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Show that an element has order 2 in ##S_n## if and only if its cycle decomposition is a product of commuting 2-cycles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that ##\sigma \in S_n## and ##| \sigma | =2##. Let the cycle decomposition of ##\sigma## be the following: ##\sigma = c_1 c_2 \dots c_m##. Then ##| \sigma | = lcm (|c_1|, |c_2|, \dots , |c_m|) = 2##. This is the case only if the ##|c_i| = 1## or ##|c_i| = 2## with at least one such that ##|c_i| = 2##. Hence ##\sigma## is a product of disjoint 2-cycles.
Why do they have to be disjoint, resp. why is ##(12)(23)## no cycle decomposition? And you can eliminate the identities by simply demanding ##c_i \neq 1##.
\Now, suppose that the cycle decomposition of ##\sigma## is a product of commuting 2-cycles: ##\sigma = c_1 c_2 \dots c_m##, where ##|c_1| = \cdots = |c_m| = 2##. Then ##| \sigma | = lcm (|c_1|, |c_2|, \dots, |c_m|) = lcm (2,2, \dots, 2) = 2##.
As @Orodruin has said, a simple calculation of ##\sigma^2## is easier. It also has the big advantage, that you actually see, why the commutation part is essential!

fresh_42 said:
Why do they have to be disjoint, resp. why is ##(12)(23)## no cycle decomposition? And you can eliminate the identities by simply demanding ##c_i \neq 1##.

As @Orodruin has said, a simple calculation of ##\sigma^2## is easier. It also has the big advantage, that you actually see, why the commutation part is essential!
Don't they have to be disjoint 2-cycles since I demanded to being with that the cycle decomposition of ##\sigma## is a product of disjoint cycles?
So I see how the backward direction is easier by just assuming they commute and raising the product to a power of 2. But is the forward direction okay? How could I show the forward direction without the use of the result ##|\sigma| = \operatorname{lcm}(|c_i|)##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Don't they have to be disjoint 2-cycles since I demanded to being with that the cycle decomposition of ##\sigma## is a product of disjoint cycles?
Yes, but only implicit in the word "cycle decomposition". Since you haven't filled out part two of the template which I personally consider even more important than part three, although our rules lay emphasis on own effort, you have to rely on the fact that everybody knows, that ##(12)(23)## isn't a decomposition whereas ##(123)## is. I think you should have mentioned this somewhere because it is crucial for the proof.
So I see how the backward direction is easier by just assuming they commute and raising the product to a power of 2. But is the forward direction okay? How could I show the forward direction without the use of the result ##|\sigma| = \operatorname{lcm}(|c_i|)##?
Both directions are correct, since you already have proven ##|\sigma \tau|=\operatorname{lcm}\{\,|\sigma | , |\tau | \,\}## in case ##[\sigma,\tau]=1## and disjoint permutations commute. However, both facts are necessary for your way to prove it - plus a proper definition of a cycle decomposition. You see, there are many hidden statements, which you all assumed to be known.

Related to Showing that an element has order 2 if product of 2-cycles

1. What does it mean for an element to have order 2?

An element having order 2 means that when the element is multiplied by itself, the resulting element is the identity element (e) of the group. In other words, the element is its own inverse.

2. What is a 2-cycle?

A 2-cycle, also known as a transposition, is a permutation that swaps two elements while leaving all other elements unchanged. In other words, it is a cycle of length 2.

3. How do you show that an element has order 2?

To show that an element has order 2, we need to demonstrate that when the element is multiplied by itself, the resulting element is the identity element (e). This can be done by writing out the element in cycle notation and performing the multiplication, or by using algebraic methods such as the Cayley table.

4. Can an element have order 2 if it is not a 2-cycle?

Yes, an element can have order 2 even if it is not a 2-cycle. This can occur in groups with non-commutative operations, where the element's inverse is not the same as the element itself.

5. Why is it important to show that an element has order 2?

Showing that an element has order 2 is important in group theory and abstract algebra because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a given group. It also allows us to classify elements and identify patterns within the group. Additionally, knowing the order of an element can help us determine the order of the entire group.