Showing S = ℤ Using 13 & 1000 in Subring

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a subring S of integers is equal to the ring of integers ℤ. The suggested method is to use the fact that 13 and 1000 are both in S, and since they are relatively prime, they generate a subring that contains 1.
Bachelier
Let S be a subring of the ring of integers ℤ. Show that if 13 ∈ S and 1000 ∈ S, then S equals ℤ.

I'm thinking we should construct a bijection using both numbers. Any ideas? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I see that ∃ no takers. I know the problem looks weird but it is a problem I read in an old paper.

The only thing I can think of is that we need to show that 1 ∈ S. To do this I can use 12 ∈ S because 12 = 1000 - 13*76, therefore 13 - 12 ∈ S and hence S has an identity and therefore we can extend to Z.

Bachelier said:
Let S be a subring of the ring of integers ℤ. Show that if 13 ∈ S and 1000 ∈ S, then S equals ℤ.

I'm thinking we should construct a bijection using both numbers. Any ideas? thanks

13 and 1000 are relatively prime so 1 is in the subring that they generate.

Thank you Lavinia. You're becoming my favorite Science adviser. :)

I would approach this problem by utilizing the properties of subrings and the integers. First, we know that a subring of the integers must contain the identity element 0, and must be closed under addition and multiplication.

Since 13 and 1000 are both elements of S, this means that they are both closed under addition and multiplication within S. Therefore, any integer can be written as a combination of 13 and 1000 through addition and multiplication, making S a subset of ℤ.

Next, we can consider the fact that 13 and 1000 are coprime, meaning they do not share any common factors other than 1. This means that any integer can also be written as a combination of 13 and 1000 through the process of finding common factors and using the Euclidean algorithm.

Combining these two observations, we can conclude that S is a subset of ℤ and also contains all integers through the use of 13 and 1000. Therefore, S must equal ℤ.

In other words, by utilizing the properties of subrings and the specific elements of 13 and 1000, we can show that S is a subring that is equal to the entire ring of integers ℤ.

Related to Showing S = ℤ Using 13 & 1000 in Subring

1. What is a subring?

A subring is a subset of a ring (a mathematical structure) that is also a ring itself. This means that it contains elements that can be added, subtracted, and multiplied, while still satisfying certain properties.

2. How do you show S = ℤ using 13 & 1000 in subring?

To show S = ℤ (the set of integers) using 13 and 1000 in a subring, we need to first show that both 13 and 1000 are in S (they are integers). Then, we need to show that S is closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication using 13 and 1000. This means that when we add, subtract, or multiply any two integers in S, the result will also be an integer in S.

3. What are the properties that a subring must satisfy?

A subring must satisfy the following properties: it must be closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication; it must contain the additive identity (0); it must be closed under additive inverses (every element has an additive inverse in the subring); and it must be closed under multiplication by a scalar (if an element is in the subring, then its product with any other element in the ring is also in the subring).

4. How is a subring different from a subgroup?

A subring is a subset of a ring, while a subgroup is a subset of a group (another mathematical structure). Both subrings and subgroups must satisfy certain properties, but the operations and elements involved are different. In a subgroup, only one operation (typically addition) is used, while in a subring, multiple operations (such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication) are used.

5. Can any subset of a ring be a subring?

No, not every subset of a ring can be a subring. The subset must satisfy the properties mentioned above in order to be considered a subring. Additionally, the subset must contain the ring's identity element and be closed under the ring's operations. If these conditions are not met, the subset cannot be considered a subring.