Showing exp(x) definitions are the same.

• Thread starter DeadOriginal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equivalence of two expressions for e^x. The first expression is a power series and the second is a limit of a sequence. The conversation includes a proposed solution using the binomial theorem and discussing the potential flaw in taking the limit inside the summation. An alternative approach is suggested, demonstrating how the second expression can be seen as a power series with only finitely many terms, making it easier to show convergence to the first expression.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

[itex]e^{x}=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex] and [itex]e^{x}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}[/itex].

I want to show that [itex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution
Let $$t_{n}=\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}.$$ Then by the binomial theorem we have
$$ t_{n}=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{n-2}{n}\right)+\cdots+\frac{x^{n}}{n!}\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{n-2}{n}\right)\cdots\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}.$$
Then
$$
\begin{align*}
\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}t_{n}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}
&=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}
\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}\\
&=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+\cdots \\
&=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}+\cdots \\
&=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}.
\end{align*}
$$

Hence
$$\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}t_{n}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}.$$

Can someone check if my reasoning works? I am particularly worried about the part where I say
$$
\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}
\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}.
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:
Can someone check if my reasoning works? I am particularly worried about the part where I say
$$
\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}
\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}.
$$
That is certainly not true for arbitrary expressions.

$$\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{1}{n+1} = \lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} 1 = 1$$
$$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{n+1} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} 0 = 0$$

Hmm. Thanks. Could you recommend a way to tackle this problem?

yeah putting the limit inside the summation requires some proving, because limit sum laws don't necessarily work for infinite sums. I think you could try something like that, for [itex]n ≥ 2 [/itex]:

[tex]\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\frac{x^k}{n^k} = 1 + x + \sum_{k=2}^{n}\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k}\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]
[tex] = 1 + x + \sum_{k=2}^{n}\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)...\left(1-\frac{k-1}{n}\right)\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex].

Then I am not quite sure how, but you'll need to prove that taking the limit inside the sum is ok. I tried some ideas but they failed miserably, so I'll think about it. It's an interesting problem, though!

Last edited:
I would try to expand the second definition for n = 1,2... and show how it relates to the first definition. Hopefully it correlates perfectly when n = k.

Oh wait, it won't.

It's actually easier if you don't try to take both limits at the same time. The infinite summation
[tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^k}{k!} [/tex]
is an infinite series that converges for all x. For each fixed n,
[tex] \left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n[/tex]
is a power series (with only finitely many terms) that converges for all x. It's easier to show that as n goes to infinity, the latter converges to the former by taking their difference and noting that for each n, you have a power series that converges for each x - all that is left is to show that for a fixed x, as n goes to infinity the series goes to zero for any fixed x that you pick

Office_Shredder said:
It's actually easier if you don't try to take both limits at the same time. The infinite summation
[tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^k}{k!} [/tex]
is an infinite series that converges for all x. For each fixed n,
[tex] \left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n[/tex]
is a power series (with only finitely many terms) that converges for all x. It's easier to show that as n goes to infinity, the latter converges to the former by taking their difference and noting that for each n, you have a power series that converges for each x - all that is left is to show that for a fixed x, as n goes to infinity the series goes to zero for any fixed x that you pick

Interesting. It didn't cross my mind to think of it like that. Thank you.

Related to Showing exp(x) definitions are the same.

1. How can I prove that two exp(x) definitions are the same?

There are a few different ways to prove that two exp(x) definitions are the same. One common method is to use mathematical induction, where you first prove that the two definitions are equal for a specific value (usually x = 0), and then show that if the definitions are equal for any given value of x, they must also be equal for the next value (x+1). This can be repeated infinitely to prove that the definitions are equal for all values of x.

2. Can I use a graph to show that two exp(x) definitions are the same?

While a graph can provide visual evidence that two exp(x) definitions are the same, it is not a formal proof. Graphs can be helpful in understanding the behavior of functions and identifying patterns, but they do not constitute a rigorous mathematical proof.

3. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to proving that two exp(x) definitions are the same?

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or tricks that can be universally applied to prove that two exp(x) definitions are the same. Each proof may require different techniques and approaches, and it is important to carefully follow the logical steps and rules of mathematical reasoning.

4. What if I can't find a way to prove that two exp(x) definitions are the same?

If you are having difficulty finding a way to prove that two exp(x) definitions are the same, it may be helpful to consult with a math teacher or tutor for guidance. They can provide additional resources or suggest alternative approaches to the proof. It is also important to carefully review the definitions and properties of the exponential function to ensure a thorough understanding.

5. Can I use algebraic manipulations to show that two exp(x) definitions are the same?

Yes, algebraic manipulations can be a useful tool in proving that two exp(x) definitions are the same. For example, you can use properties of exponents, such as the power rule and product rule, to manipulate and simplify the expressions until they are equal. However, it is important to carefully track each step and ensure that the manipulations are valid and do not change the underlying definitions.