Showing a function is bounded in the complex plane.

In summary, if f is a continuous function over the complex plane with a limit of 0 as z tends to infinity, then f is bounded. This is because for all epsilon > 0, there exists N > 0 such that for all |z| > N, |f(z)-0| < epsilon. If we consider epsilon = 1, we can see that |f(z)| < 1 for all |z| > N, which means f(z) is bounded. Furthermore, since f is bounded and continuous, it is constant by Liouville's Theorem. Therefore, f(z) is bounded for all z in the complex plane.
mancini0

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I must show that if f is a continuous function over the complex plane, with
limit as z tends to infinity = 0, then f is in fact bounded.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f is continuous and lim z --> infinity f(z) = 0, by definition of limit at infinity I know
for all epsilon > 0, there exists N > 0 such that for all |z| > N, |f(z)-0| < epsilon.

The problem gives the hint that I would be wise to consider epsilon = 1. With that I see that
|f(z)| < 1 for all |z| > N.

Then |f(z)| is bounded. I need to extend this to f(z). I know from absolute convergence that if the absolute value of a series converges, the series itself converges. But we are not dealing with series, nor have we yet learned about series in the complex plane.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "extend to f(z)"? The definition of f(z) being bounded is precisely that |f(z)| is bounded. (We can't talk about m< f(z)< M as we might for real valued functions since the complex numbers are not an ordered field.)

I see. Thank you. The follow up asks me if f is bounded for |z|<= N.
Since f is bounded and continuous, f is constant by Liouville's Theorem. Doesn't this mean f(z) is bounded for all z then?

By Liouville's theorem, a function analytic in the entire complex plane which is bounded is a constant. You said nothing before about f being entire.

But if you have already shown that f is bounded on the complex plane, then it is bounded on any subset so certainly on |z|<= N. That second part really does not make sense.

Related to Showing a function is bounded in the complex plane.

1. How do you define a bounded function in the complex plane?

A bounded function in the complex plane is one that has finite values and does not approach infinity at any point in the plane. This means that the function does not have any singularities or poles that would cause it to become unbounded.

2. What is the significance of showing a function is bounded in the complex plane?

Showing that a function is bounded in the complex plane is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us determine whether the function is well-behaved and can be used in mathematical calculations.

3. How do you prove that a function is bounded in the complex plane?

There are a few different ways to prove that a function is bounded in the complex plane. One common method is to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that the function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann conditions, which ensure that the function is analytic and therefore bounded in the complex plane.

4. Can a function be bounded in some parts of the complex plane but not others?

Yes, a function can be bounded in some parts of the complex plane but not others. For example, a function may have singularities or poles at certain points in the plane that cause it to become unbounded in those areas. However, as long as the function is bounded in the majority of the complex plane, it is still considered a bounded function.

5. Are there any common techniques for showing a function is bounded in the complex plane?

Yes, there are several common techniques for showing that a function is bounded in the complex plane. These include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, finding the maximum and minimum values of the function, and using theorems such as the Maximum Modulus Theorem and the Cauchy Integral Theorem.