Showing a function in R2 is unbounded (no least upper bound)

In summary: f(x, y) = (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2 -4 would be unbounded for this sequence as well. f(x, y) >f(x) if and only if x-1 = y.
cantidosan

Homework Statement

Show that this function has no absolute max by showing that it is unbounded

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2 -4

The Attempt at a Solution

my initial idea is to construct a sequence of points {(xk, yk)} so that the sequence {f(xk, yk)} becomes unbounded.

to show that : Let M=f(x,y)
∨M>0 ∃xk, yk s.t xk,yk∉ B(M,(1,-2)). This issue i have is determining an adequate sequence of values to use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Observe that [itex]f(x,y) \geq (x - 1)^2 -4[/itex]. Is that bounded above?

pasmith said:
I'm assuming by f(x,y) you're referring to the original equation and no it isn't bounded above. I'm sorry, i have a feeling I'm supposed to make some intellectual leap with that example,but I am still somewhat lost.

pasmith said:
Actually, i noticed that you reduced it to a single variable? To what end?

If [itex](x - 1)^2 - 4[/itex] is not bounded above, and [itex]f(x,y) \geq (x-1)^2 -4[/itex], can it be the case that [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is bounded above?

cantidosan said:
I'm assuming by f(x,y) you're referring to the original equation and no it isn't bounded above. I'm sorry, i have a feeling I'm supposed to make some intellectual leap with that example,but I am still somewhat lost.

Perhaps this will help, but I'm not sure:

Can you think of any function (even of a single variable) that is not bounded above?

PeroK said:
Perhaps this will help, but I'm not sure:

Can you think of any function (even of a single variable) that is not bounded above?

f(x,y) = X^2 for instance, For the sake of a concrete proof. Would it be sufficient to say that if f(x) is unbounded and f(x,y) >f(x) then f(x,y) is also unbounded. Seems incomplete, or have we just skimmed the surface in terms of reasoning?

cantidosan said:
f(x,y) = X^2 for instance, For the sake of a concrete proof. Would it be sufficient to say that if f(x) is unbounded and f(x,y) >f(x) then f(x,y) is also unbounded. Seems incomplete, or have we just skimmed the surface in terms of reasoning?

Ok, so you know that ##f(x) = x^2## is not bounded above. What about ##f(x) = (x-1)^2##? Not bounded above?

The sequence or points (1, 1), (2, 2), ..., (n, n) for any integer n leaps out at you.

Related to Showing a function in R2 is unbounded (no least upper bound)

1. What does it mean for a function in R2 to be unbounded?

For a function in R2 to be unbounded means that there is no finite upper limit to its values. This means that the function can increase or decrease without bound as the input values increase.

2. How can I determine if a function in R2 is unbounded?

To determine if a function in R2 is unbounded, you can analyze its behavior as the input values increase. If the function continues to increase or decrease without bound, then it is unbounded.

3. Is there a way to prove that a function in R2 is unbounded?

Yes, there are various mathematical methods that can be used to prove that a function in R2 is unbounded. One common method is to use the definition of an unbounded function and show that it holds true for the given function.

4. Can a function in R2 be both bounded and unbounded?

No, a function in R2 can only be either bounded or unbounded. A function cannot have both a finite upper limit and no finite upper limit at the same time.

5. Why is it important to know if a function in R2 is unbounded?

Knowing if a function in R2 is unbounded can help in understanding its behavior and making predictions. It can also be useful in solving mathematical problems and determining the limits of a function.