Showing a bijection between a set of functions and a set of relations

In summary: X x Y, and hence, a relation in P(X x Y).To show that g is a bijection, we need to show that it is both injective and surjective.To prove injectivity, we need to show that for any two functions f1 and f2 in (X->P(Y)), if g(f1) = g(f2), then f1 = f2. Let's assume g(f1) = g(f2). This means that for any x in X, we have f1(x) = f2(x). But this implies that f1 and f2 are the same function, and hence, f1 = f2. Therefore, g is injective.To prove surjectivity, we
Aaron7

Homework Statement

With X and Y being sets, I need to show that there is a bijection between the set of functions (X->P(Y)) and the set of relations P(X x Y) where P(..) is the power set symbol.

Homework Equations

P(Y) = {Z | Z subset of Y}

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a bijection is injective and surjective. The set of functions is {f ε P(X x P(Y)) | f is a function}. I also know that a function is bijective if it has an inverse. I am not too sure where to start or whether I am missing something. I have been trying to find a function and then show it has an inverse but I am stuck.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry. I will provide a step-by-step solution to help you understand the concept and approach to proving this bijection.

First, let's define the sets involved. We have X, which is a set, and Y, which is also a set. We also have the power set of Y, denoted as P(Y), which is the set of all subsets of Y. Similarly, we have the power set of X x Y, denoted as P(X x Y), which is the set of all subsets of X x Y.

To prove that there is a bijection between the set of functions (X->P(Y)) and the set of relations P(X x Y), we need to show that there exists a function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in the other set, and vice versa.

Let's start with the set of functions (X->P(Y)). A function, f, in this set can be represented as f:X->P(Y), where f(x) is a subset of Y for every x in X. In other words, for each element x in X, there exists a unique subset of Y, denoted as f(x), that is the output of the function.

Now, let's consider the set of relations P(X x Y). A relation, R, in this set can be represented as R subset of X x Y, where R is a subset of the Cartesian product of X and Y. In other words, R is a set of ordered pairs (x,y) where x is an element of X and y is an element of Y.

To show that there is a bijection between these two sets, we need to find a function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in the other set, and vice versa. Let's define a function, g, that maps each function in (X->P(Y)) to a relation in P(X x Y) as follows:

g:(X->P(Y))->P(X x Y)
g(f) = {(x,y) | x in X, y in f(x)}

In other words, for a given function f in (X->P(Y)), g(f) is a relation in P(X x Y) that consists of all possible ordered pairs (x,y) where x is an element of X and y is an element of f(x). It is easy to see that g(f) is a subset of

Related to Showing a bijection between a set of functions and a set of relations

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in another set. This means that for every input, there is exactly one output and for every output, there is exactly one input.

2. How can a set of functions be shown to be bijective?

In order to show that a set of functions is bijective, we must demonstrate that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that each element in the domain must map to a unique element in the range and that every element in the range must have at least one corresponding element in the domain.

3. What is the difference between a function and a relation?

A function is a special type of relation that maps each element in the domain to a unique element in the range. In a relation, an element in the domain can map to multiple elements in the range, whereas a function only has one output for each input.

4. Can a set of relations be bijective?

No, a set of relations cannot be bijective because it is possible for multiple elements in the domain to map to the same element in the range. This violates the injective property required for a bijection.

5. How can a bijection be useful in mathematics?

A bijection is useful because it allows us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two sets, which can aid in proving the equivalence of sets or solving certain types of mathematical problems. It also helps to simplify complex functions into more manageable forms.