Induced EMF and Galvanometer

In summary, in physics class we did an experiment where we observed the generation of a current as a function of the motion of a magnet near a coil. This demonstrated that a changing magnetic field creates an electric field, which then creates a current. The direction of the current is dependent on the direction of the magnet's motion, and this is known as Lenz's Law. This law states that the induced current will always oppose any change in the magnetic field created by the moving magnet. This is due to the conservation of energy.
UrbanXrisis
In physics class today, we did a project that I don't quite understand. We layed a small 50-turn coil flat on the table and held a magnet in a vertical position near the coil. We had the Galvanometer hooked up to make a clockwise current. The class then moved the magnet close to the coil and observed the current. Then moved the magnet away. We needed to conclude the generation of a current as a function of the magnet motion. Anyone explain to me what the purpose of this experiment was?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've just demonstrated that a changing magnetic field creates an electric field. (It's the electric field that creates the current.)

Some things you may have noted: Current only exists when the magnet is moving--a stationary magnetic field does not create an EMF. The direction of the current (clockwise versus counter-clockwise) is different when you move the magnet toward the coil versus away from the coil.

I noticed that when I moved the magnet away, it produced a negative chage and a positive charge when I moved it closer. What does that signify?

Lenz's Law

UrbanXrisis said:
I noticed that when I moved the magnet away, it produced a negative chage and a positive charge when I moved it closer. What does that signify?
You mean current, not charge. Move the magnet one way, you get one EMF; move it the opposite way, the EMF is reversed. Reverse the EMF and the current is reversed as well.

The induced EMF creates a current, which in turn creates another magnetic field. (Moving charges--current--create a magnetic field, right?) One thing to point out is that the induced current always creates a field that opposes any change to the field that the moving magnet is creating. Let's say you move the north pole of the magnetic towards the center of the coil, thus trying to increase the field going into the coil. The induced current will then respond to create a magnetic field opposing that of the magnet. When you pull the magnet away, the opposite occurs: you are reducing the field, so the induced current tries to increase it. This is called Lenz's Law.

Lenz's law is a consequence of conservation of energy--you have to push or pull the magnet--it takes energy to induce a field.

1. What is induced EMF and how does it relate to a galvanometer?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated by a changing magnetic field. It is related to a galvanometer, which is a device used to measure small electric currents, because the movement of the galvanometer's needle is caused by induced EMF in the circuit.

2. How is induced EMF different from a regular EMF?

A regular EMF is a potential difference that is generated by a chemical reaction or a battery. Induced EMF, on the other hand, is created by a changing magnetic field and does not require a chemical reaction or a battery to produce.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field. The greater the rate of change, number of turns, and strength of the magnetic field, the larger the induced EMF will be.

4. How is a galvanometer used to measure induced EMF?

A galvanometer is connected in series with a coil of wire, and as the magnetic field changes, the needle of the galvanometer moves, indicating the presence and magnitude of induced EMF. The more the needle moves, the higher the induced EMF in the circuit.

5. How is the direction of induced EMF determined in a circuit?

The direction of induced EMF is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced EMF will always act in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced EMF will act in the opposite direction to try to decrease the field, and vice versa.