Show y = (1+x)/(1+x^2) has three inflection points

• Thread starter Hogart
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, my attempt to find the zero's of y'' led me to find the three critical points that satisfy as being the local extremes of y''.
Hogart

Homework Statement

We are given the curve y = (1+x)/(1+x^2)

Homework Equations

y' and y''

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the inflection points of y are the local minimum and maximum of y'; this can also be restated as the critical points of y''. My attempt is to find the zero's of y'' and show there are only three critical points that satisfy as being the local extremes of y'. However, I end up getting a huge fifth degree polynomial for y''. This thing is a monster to solve; it does not seem to simplify either.

y'' = (2x^5+6x^4-4x^3+5x^2-8x-3)/(x^4+2x^2+1)^2

Perhaps I can show y'' has three zero's by IVT but there is a second part that requires the actual x values that make those zero's.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't be sure, but it looks like you may have made an algebraic mistake when simplifying the second derivative.

Edit: I am sure. Your second derivative is incorrect.

gopher_p said:
I can't be sure, but it looks like you may have made an algebraic mistake when simplifying the second derivative.

Edit: I am sure. Your second derivative is incorrect.

You must excuse me, it seems I have been having quite a few brain malfunctioning moments these past couple of days.

The proper second derivative to y is y'' = (2(1+x^2)(x^3+3x^2-3x-1))/(1+x^2)^4

I actually figured it out. It was just a matter of applying algebra. Since (1+x^2) > 0 it is not a critical value. But x^3+3x^2-3x-1 factors out as (x-1)(x^2+4x+1). So x=1 is a critical value for y'. And x=-2+/-sqrt(3) by the quadratic formula. So at those values for x we get the local extremes of y'. Thus these points represent the inflection points of y!

Thank you for double checking my work. I appreciate it!

Related to Show y = (1+x)/(1+x^2) has three inflection points

What is an inflection point?

An inflection point in mathematics is a point on a curve where the concavity changes. This means that the curve changes from being concave up to concave down, or vice versa.

How do you determine the number of inflection points on a curve?

To determine the number of inflection points on a curve, you need to find the second derivative of the equation and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-values that make the second derivative equal to zero. These x-values will be the inflection points on the curve.

What does it mean for a curve to have three inflection points?

If a curve has three inflection points, it means that there are three points on the curve where the concavity changes. This could indicate that the curve has multiple curves or bends in its shape.

How can you prove that y = (1+x)/(1+x^2) has three inflection points?

To prove that y = (1+x)/(1+x^2) has three inflection points, you can take the second derivative of the equation and solve for the x-values that make it equal to zero. If you find three distinct x-values that satisfy this condition, then you have proven that the curve has three inflection points.

Why is it important to know the number of inflection points on a curve?

Knowing the number of inflection points on a curve can help us understand the overall shape and behavior of the curve. It can also provide insight into the rate of change of the curve and can be useful in optimization problems.