Show the roots of unity add up to zero.

In summary: This means that (wk)n+1 = wk.In summary, the homework statement is asking to prove that the summation of wk from k = 1 to n equals 0, with the additional requirement that there are at least two phasors or exponentials. The approach taken involves using complex analysis and attempting to factor the first line from the n+1 line, using a proof by induction method. However, the solution overlooks the fact that the terms being added are roots of unity, which leads to an incorrect result.
zheng89120

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] wk = 0

and there has to be at least two phasors/exponentials

Homework Equations

complex analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing out the sigma on the first line.

Then I tried writing the same thing with n+1 on the second line.

Then I tried to divide the first exponential of the n+1 line by the first exponential of the first line, called A.

Then I divided the bottom by A, which should factor to get the first line as a factor, but could still not get the first line from the n+1, second line.

Physics news on Phys.org
zheng89120 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] wk = 0

and there has to be at least two phasors/exponentials

Homework Equations

complex analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing out the sigma on the first line.

Then I tried writing the same thing with n+1 on the second line.

Then I tried to divide the first exponential of the n+1 line by the first exponential of the first line, called A.

Then I divided the bottom by A, which should factor to get the first line as a factor, but could still not get the first line from the n+1, second line.

It seems that you are trying to do a proof by induction, but you didn't state that very clearly. At least, that's what I think you were doing.

One thing that you are forgetting is that the things you are adding are roots of unity. In your original summation, (wk)n = 1, for 1 <= k <= n.

Related to Show the roots of unity add up to zero.

1. What are the roots of unity?

The roots of unity are complex numbers that, when raised to a certain power, result in a value of 1. For example, the 3rd roots of unity are 1, -0.5 + 0.866i, and -0.5 - 0.866i.

2. How do the roots of unity add up to zero?

This is known as the fundamental theorem of algebra. It states that the sum of the nth roots of unity is equal to zero. This can be proven through mathematical induction or by using the complex exponential form of the roots.

3. What is the significance of the roots of unity adding up to zero?

The roots of unity have many applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in fields such as trigonometry, signal processing, and group theory. The fact that they add up to zero is important for solving equations and understanding the behavior of periodic functions.

4. Are there any exceptions to the roots of unity adding up to zero?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. The sum of the nth roots of unity will always be equal to zero, regardless of the value of n or the specific roots being used.

5. How are the roots of unity related to geometry?

The roots of unity can be graphed on the complex plane, where they form a regular polygon with n sides. This polygon has a center at the origin and each of its vertices corresponds to one of the nth roots of unity. This connection between the roots of unity and geometry is important in understanding symmetries and rotations in the complex plane.