Show the following reaction cannot occur (from introductory high energy course)

In summary, the problem asks to show that the reaction π- + d → n + n + π0 cannot occur for pions at rest. To approach this, we need to consider the intrinsic parity of the particles involved, with the knowledge that the intrinsic parity of pions is -1, and that of deuterium and neutrons is 1. Additionally, the spins of the particles are known to be 0 for pions, 1 for deuterium, and 1/2 for neutrons. The suggested approach is to consider the final state of the reaction as a neutron pair and a single pion, and analyze how this affects the parity of the final state. This can be done by following the arguments in
enjoi668

Homework Statement

This is from Introduction to High Energy Physics by Perkins, question 3.1
Show that the reaction π- + d → n + n + π0 cannot occur for pions at rest.

the π's are pions, the d is a deuterium, and the n's are obviously neutrons.

Homework Equations

Conservation laws

I started from the knowledge that the intrinsic parity of the pions are both = -1, and that the internal parity of d and n is =1.

I also know the spins to be 0 for the pions, 1 for deuterium, and 1/2 for the neutrons

The Attempt at a Solution

Our professor suggested the pions are both in s-wave configurations if they are at rest (?)

I tried following the arguments that ultimately decided the intrinsict parity of pi-, i.e.
something like this

http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node323.html

to try to find some kind of contradiction if an extra π0 is included, however I didn't seam to get anywhere as that argument is built upon the fact that the final state consists of two identical fermions...

I've been working on this for about an hour, so I'm really just looking for any ideas on how to start this problem off or if I'm going about it the right way and I'm just missing something

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have the third edition of Perkins. I hated that book. :wink:

Your approach is probably the right one. I haven't worked it out, but I think you're on the right track. In my copy of Perkins, there's a section on pion parity, section 3.3.1, which has a similar analysis to the one you linked to. You can look at the final state as the neutron pair, taken as a whole, plus the pion. When you do that, how does that affect the parity of the final state?

Related to Show the following reaction cannot occur (from introductory high energy course)

1. Can you explain why a certain reaction cannot occur?

The most common reason a reaction cannot occur is due to the lack of energy. In order for a reaction to take place, there must be enough energy to break the bonds of the reactants and form new bonds in the products. If the energy is not sufficient, the reaction will not proceed.

2. Is it possible for a reaction to occur spontaneously?

Yes, some reactions are thermodynamically favorable and can occur spontaneously without the input of external energy. These reactions release energy in the form of heat and are exothermic.

3. How do catalysts affect the likelihood of a reaction occurring?

Catalysts lower the activation energy required for a reaction to occur. This means that with the presence of a catalyst, a reaction that was previously unlikely to occur due to high energy barriers, can now take place at a faster rate.

4. Can a reaction occur if the reactants are not in the correct stoichiometric ratio?

No, the ratio of reactants is crucial in determining whether a reaction can occur. If there is an excess or deficiency of one reactant, the reaction will not proceed as the reactants will not be able to form the necessary bonds in the correct proportions.

5. What role do temperature and pressure play in the likelihood of a reaction occurring?

Temperature and pressure affect the rate of a reaction. Increasing the temperature and/or pressure can provide the reactants with more energy, making it more likely for them to overcome the energy barriers and react. However, extreme changes in temperature and pressure can also have negative effects on the stability of the reactants and products, and may even prevent the reaction from occurring.