Which of the following strong reactions is possible?

• Thread starter katamaster818
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the four reactions possible are: 1+1 --> 1+1+0, 1+1 --> 0+0+1+0, 1+1 --> 1+1+0+0, and 1+1 --> 1+1+0.
katamaster818

Homework Statement

Which of the following strong reactions (from a collision) is possible?

a. p + p --> p + n + K+
b. p + p --> Λ0 + K0 + p + π+
c. p + p --> p + p + π+ + π-
d. p + p --> p + n + π+

Homework Equations

Conservation of the Baryon Number (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Particles/Parint.html#c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(replaced the original symbols with what I think is the correct baryon number for each particle?)
a. 1 + 1 --> 1 + 1 + 0 (Possible)
b. 1 + 1 --> 0 + 0 +1 + 0 (Not possible)
c. 1 + 1 --> 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 (possible)
d. 1 + 1 --> 1 + 1 + 0 (Possible)

My solution: A, C, and D are possible.

I'm confused with identifying the baryon numbers, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it incorrectly. I'm also confused when a particle has a negative baryon particle vs a positive one, and I'm also confused on how to identify baryons vs masons. I'm only taking AP Physics in high school, none of this stuff is in my textbook (which isn't even an AP textbook in the first place), and my teacher decided to make up this curriculum on her own :/

I should also mention that I got this problem from a list of practice problems that the teacher gave us for our modern physics test tomorrow. You'll definitely be seeing the bubble chamber soon on here as well :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the baryon number of a ##\Lambda##.

Baryon number is not the only conserved quantity in the strong interaction.
katamaster818 said:
and I'm also confused on how to identify baryons vs masons
Mesons, not masons. Mesons have a quark and an antiquark and baryon number 0. Baryons have three quarks and baryon number 1. Antibaryons have three antiquarks and baryon number -1.
You have to know or look up what the individual symbols (##\pi, \Lambda##, ...) mean, those Greek letters don't follow any pattern.

Baryon number is basically (quarks-antiquarks)/3.

mfb said:
Check the baryon number of a ##\Lambda##.

Baryon number is not the only conserved quantity in the strong interaction.
Mesons, not masons. Mesons have a quark and an antiquark and baryon number 0. Baryons have three quarks and baryon number 1. Antibaryons have three antiquarks and baryon number -1.
You have to know or look up what the individual symbols (##\pi, \Lambda##, ...) mean, those Greek letters don't follow any pattern.

Baryon number is basically (quarks-antiquarks)/3.

Ok, so I see that my baryon number for lambda was incorrect, and that it should be 1. Does that mean all four of these are viable strong reactions? Or am I using the wrong equation for this problem? I think there is supposed to be only one correct answer, my teacher usually will let us know in the question if more than answers can be correct.

Does this problem have to do with conservation of leptons? Your comment led me to searching for other laws of conservation that apply to particle collisions, and I stumbled across this. I'm reading up on what a lepton is now.

And thank you, that cleared up my confusion regarding the calculation of Baryon numbers for particles. I like to know the way things are calculated so I have a deeper understanding of the topic.

Last edited:
katamaster818 said:
Ok, so I see that my baryon number for lambda was incorrect, and that it should be 1. Does that mean all four of these are viable strong reactions?
No, it just tells you baryon number is not violated for any of them.
katamaster818 said:
Does this problem have to do with conservation of leptons? Your comment led me to searching for other laws of conservation that apply to particle collisions, and I stumbled across this. I'm reading up on what a lepton is now.
Do you see leptons in the reactions?

There is something else that is conserved, and that makes one reaction impossible.

Related to Which of the following strong reactions is possible?

1. What determines the possibility of a strong reaction?

The possibility of a strong reaction is determined by the stability and energy levels of the reactants and products.

2. How do you know if a reaction is strong?

A strong reaction is characterized by a large amount of energy released or absorbed, significant changes in temperature or color, and/or the formation of new compounds.

3. Can a strong reaction occur between any two substances?

No, a strong reaction can only occur between substances that have the potential to form new compounds and release or absorb a large amount of energy.

4. Are strong reactions always exothermic or endothermic?

No, strong reactions can be either exothermic (releasing heat) or endothermic (absorbing heat), depending on the specific reactants and products involved.

5. What are some examples of strong reactions in everyday life?

Examples of strong reactions in everyday life include combustion reactions (such as burning wood), acid-base reactions (such as mixing vinegar and baking soda), and oxidation-reduction reactions (such as rusting of iron).