Show that the union of countable sets is countable

• Thread starter ╔(σ_σ)╝
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets Union
In summary, to show that the union of countable sets A_{1}, A_{2},... is also countable, you can use a bijection from the Cartesian product of N and N to N. However, if your definition of countable only includes infinite sets, then you would need to use an injection rather than a bijection for finite sets.
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex]A_{1}[/tex], [tex]A_{2}[/tex],... are countable sets, so is [tex]A_{1}[/tex][tex]\cup[/tex] [tex]A_{2}[/tex][tex]\cup[/tex]...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part one of the question is okay, I would like to believe I can handle that but, part B, I am not so sure.

My solution is as follows ( using the matrix in the attached picture)Line up [tex]A_{1}[/tex], [tex]A_{2}[/tex],[tex]A_{3}[/tex] ... in the "X-axis" ( it's more of an axis of positive integers) and then the line up the elements of of set along the vertical columns associated with each set. Then use the function is part A of the picture to define a bijection.
[tex]\varphi[/tex] : N XN [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] N by [tex]\varphi[/tex](i,j) = j + [tex]\frac{k(k+1)}{2}[/tex] where k= i+j.

Of course, I use the fact that the set of positive integers and natural numbers are of the same cardinality.

What do you guys think ? Is this okay ? Would this suffice?

I'm looking for another way of showing this same result, but one that is less "forced". Forced ,in the sense that, I was basicallly given the answer in part A of the question in the attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
What definition of countable are you using? Does it include finite sets or does it mean countably infinite?

I think your basic approach is correct if the sets are infinite. I'll leave it to the math experts here to guide you on the details.

My definition of countable includes both finite and denumerable sets ( sets that have the same cardinality with N). I am using the " elementary classical analysis" txt.

Using my approach, dealing with finite sets is not a problem; since all elements will fit into the matrix with a finite size.

Do you have a different approach ? If so, I would eb interested in it.

My point about finite sets is that it introduces some details you have to worry about. For example, if all of your sets had n elements, then the bijection is from {1,...,n}xN to N, not NxN to N. Also, if you need a bijection in your definition, rather than an injection, then a finite set isn't countable.

Okay I see your point about the finite sets. If the set had finite elements then would need a different map.However, I am not what you mean by "if you need a bijection in your definition, rather than an injection, then a finite set isn't countable. " From what I understand if the elements in the set are finite but the number of sets is not then a map from {1,...,n}xN to N is definately not a bijection since it fails to be onto. Is this your point ? However, I assume the question was defined in such a way that it makes sense since it say we should prove it is countable.

I just meant if your definition of countable means there's a bijection from a set to N, then a finite set can't be countable because there's no function that maps it onto N.

The only reason I brought this up is because you talked about a bijection between the union of the sets and N. Some definitions of countable require a bijection to N; others only say there has to be an injection to N.

vela said:
I just meant if your definition of countable means there's a bijection from a set to N, then a finite set can't be countable because there's no function that maps it onto N.

The only reason I brought this up is because you talked about a bijection between the union of the sets and N. Some definitions of countable require a bijection to N; others only say there has to be an injection to N.

You have a point and i just took a look at my textbook. It says a set that is either finite or denumerable is said to be countable. An infinite set is denumerable it has the same number of elements is the set of integers {1,2,...}.

With this definition I guess there is room for injections( when the set is finite) and bijections, for infinite sets.

Related to Show that the union of countable sets is countable

What does it mean for a set to be countable?

A countable set is one that can be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that every element in the set can be assigned a unique natural number, even if the set has an infinite number of elements.

What is the union of two sets?

The union of two sets is a set that contains all the elements that are in either or both of the original sets. In other words, it is the combination of all the elements from both sets, without any duplicates.

How do you show that the union of countable sets is countable?

To show that the union of countable sets is countable, we can use the fact that the natural numbers are countable. We can assign a unique natural number to each element in the first set, and then assign the next available natural numbers to the elements in the second set. This way, every element in the union set will have a unique natural number assigned to it, making it countable.

Can the union of uncountable sets be countable?

No, the union of uncountable sets cannot be countable. This is because uncountable sets are infinite sets that cannot be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. Therefore, the elements in the union of uncountable sets cannot be assigned unique natural numbers, making it uncountable.

What are some examples of countable sets?

Some examples of countable sets include the set of natural numbers, integers, rational numbers, and even some infinite sets such as the set of all even numbers or the set of all prime numbers. These sets can be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, making them countable.