Show that the half open interval is a topology

In summary, the given set ##H## is defined as the set of all sets O such that for every point x in O, there exists an interval [a,b) that contains x and is a subset of O. The task is to show that this set is a topology on the real numbers, according to the definition of a topological space. The set definition given in the attempt at a solution is incorrect and should be corrected to [a,b) instead of [a,b].
DotKite

Homework Statement

We are given ##H## = {##O | \forall x, \exists a,b \in R## s.t ##x \in [a,b] \subseteqq O##}##\bigcup {\oslash}##

and are asked to show that it is a topology on R

Homework Equations

Definition of a topological space

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to convince myself that R is in H. I do not see it. This is, of course, the first property of a topological space.

Physics news on Phys.org
So take ##x\in \mathbb{R}##, you must find ##a,b## such that ##x\in [a,b]\subseteq \mathbb{R}##. Any idea of what the ##a## and ##b## are going to be?? (Hint: any ##a## and ##b## are good as long as ##a\leq b##)

DotKite said:

Homework Statement

We are given ##H## = {##O | \forall x, \exists a,b \in R## s.t ##x \in [a,b] \subseteqq O##}##\bigcup {\oslash}##

and are asked to show that it is a topology on R

Homework Equations

Definition of a topological space

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to convince myself that R is in H. I do not see it. This is, of course, the first property of a topological space.

Since for any x, x is an element of [x,x], the way you stated the first part of your union, the only subset O of R that will satisfy that is R itself. There is something wrong with your problem statement. That doesn't look like a half-open topology to me.

OK so now I am trying to show that a finite intersection is in H. I am still really confused on what this set actually is. I would appreciate if anyone could explain to me how this set is/works.

DotKite said:

Homework Statement

Why does the thread title refer to the half-open interval topology? I don't see any half-open intervals in your definition.

You do realize that for any set A, its union with the empty set is itself, right? So you might as well have written
$$H = \{ O: \forall x, \exists a,b \in \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } x \in [a,b] \subset O \}.$$ What you probably meant was
$$H = \{ O: \forall x, \exists a,b \in \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } x \in [a,b] \subset O \} \cup \{\emptyset\},$$ so that the empty set is an element of H.

Finally, what about the point Dick brought up? The only set that satisfies your definition is ##\mathbb{R}## since ##x## can be anything, so this topology is the trivial topology ##\{ \emptyset, \mathbb{R}\}##, not the half-open interval topology.

You really need to get the definition of H down before you go about trying to prove anything with it.

The half-open interval topology or lower limit topology is usually defined as the topology generated by the basis sets [a,b). Your set definition doesn't resemble that in the slightest.

Dick said:
The half-open interval topology or lower limit topology is usually defined as the topology generated by the basis sets [a,b). Your set definition doesn't resemble that in the slightest.

My mistake people. There was suppose to be an open bracket at b. [a,b)

DotKite said:
My mistake people. There was suppose to be an open bracket at b. [a,b)

Ok, so your topology consists of the set of all sets O such for every point x in O, there is an interval [a,b) that contains the point x and is a subset of O. Does that make it clearer what your topology is?

Last edited:

Related to Show that the half open interval is a topology

What is a topology?

A topology is a mathematical concept that describes the geometric properties of a set. It is a collection of subsets of the set that satisfies certain conditions, such as being closed under unions and intersections.

What is a half open interval?

A half open interval is a set of real numbers that includes all numbers greater than or equal to a given number, but excludes the given number itself.

Why is the half open interval considered a topology?

The half open interval satisfies the three defining properties of a topology: it contains the empty set and the entire set, it is closed under arbitrary unions, and it is closed under finite intersections.

How is the half open interval different from other types of intervals?

The half open interval is different from other types of intervals, such as closed or open intervals, because it includes all numbers greater than or equal to a given number, but excludes the given number itself. This makes it a unique type of interval that satisfies the defining properties of a topology.

How is the half open interval used in mathematics?

The half open interval is used in mathematics to define topologies on sets, which are essential for studying the properties of various mathematical objects, such as functions and spaces. It is also commonly used in real analysis and other branches of mathematics to define open sets and to study the convergence of sequences.