Show that if A is an n x n matrix

• Thread starter KristenSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, to show that 1 is an eigenvalue of a matrix A whose kth row is the same as the kth row of the identity matrix, you can use the fact that A and At have the same eigenvalues and show that 1 is an eigenvalue of At by finding a specific vector x such that Atx = 1x. Then, since A and At have the same eigenvalues, 1 is also an eigenvalue of A.
KristenSmith

Homework Statement

Show that if A is an n x n matrix whose kth row is the same as the kth row of In, then 1 is an eigenvalue of A.

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried creating an arbitrary matrix A and set it up to to find the det(A-λI) but that got me no where.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you know that A and At have the same eigenvalues, you can work with the original definition of eigenvalue: There is a vector x such that Atx = 1x.

I'm still not understanding what to do with that...

KristenSmith said:

Homework Statement

Show that if A is an n x n matrix whose kth row is the same as the kth row of In, then 1 is an eigenvalue of A.

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried creating an arbitrary matrix A and set it up to to find the det(A-λI) but that got me no where.

Think about an expansion by minors along the kth row of A-λI. You want to show 1-λ is a factor of the characteristic polynomial.

KristenSmith said:
I'm still not understanding what to do with that...
It is easy to find a specific vector x with Atx = 1x. That shows that x is an eigenvector of At with eigenvalue 1 => At has 1 as eigenvalue => A has 1 as eigenvalue.

Related to Show that if A is an n x n matrix

1. What is an n x n matrix?

An n x n matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns with n rows and n columns. The size of a matrix is typically written as "n x n" or "n by n".

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be "n x n"?

A matrix being "n x n" means that it has an equal number of rows and columns. This is also known as a square matrix.

3. What is the significance of A being an n x n matrix?

The significance of A being an n x n matrix is that it allows for certain operations to be performed on it, such as finding the determinant, inverse, and eigenvalues. It also has certain properties and characteristics that are unique to square matrices.

4. How do you show that A is an n x n matrix?

To show that A is an n x n matrix, you can provide the dimensions of the matrix, as well as its entries. For example, you can write A = [aij] where aij represents the entry in the ith row and jth column of the matrix. You can also visually represent the matrix using a grid with n rows and n columns.

5. Can A be any type of matrix or does it have to be a specific type?

A can be any type of matrix as long as it follows the criteria of being an n x n matrix. This means that it has to have an equal number of rows and columns. However, certain operations may only be applicable to specific types of matrices (e.g. square matrices for finding the determinant).