Show that for all n ∈ Z (>0), g(n) > f(n)

• Thread starter gex
  • Start date
In summary, your teacher's hint was to substitute 1=k in the inequality to find that the area under the curve is larger than the rectangle.
gex
Homework Statement
Question.JPG

The attempt at a solution
Hi there, in an attempt to prove that g(n) is greater than f(n), I graphed both functions on the same axes and it is visually obvious that g(n) is greater than f(n), but I am not sure how I would go about proving this for all positive integers in a mathematically rigorous way. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Question.JPG
    Question.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 610
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved. Please post questions involving integrals in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalc section.

gex said:
I graphed both functions on the same axes and it is visually obvious that g(n) is greater than f(n),
Which "both functions" did you graph?
Think about f(n) as an area under a graph, and g(n) as the sum of areas of rectangles.

Mark44 said:
Which "both functions" did you graph?
Graph.png

The above picture displays the graphs of f(n) and g(n) generated by https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Mark44 said:
Think about f(n) as an area under a graph, and g(n) as the sum of areas of rectangles.
I understand what you mean by thinking about f(n) as an area underneath a graph, but am quite unsure how g(n) represents the sum of areas of rectangles. I would appreciate some clarification this if possible, thank you.

Attachments

• Graph.png
    Graph.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 409
Can you convert the sum for g(n) into an integral of a new function that matches the sum for each integer n?

I would shift the graph of the sum by 1/2 to the right, that makes it easier to see.

Those aren't the right graphs. What I was talking about was graphing y = 1/x on the interval [1, n] for f, and comparing this to the graph of y = 1/j on the same interval for g, using a Riemann sum.

mfb said:
Can you convert the sum for g(n) into an integral of a new function that matches the sum for each integer n?
I'm really not sure how I would go about doing that, I've never encountered such a thing before in my studies.

Mark44 said:
using a Riemann sum.
Sorry but I'm not quite sure what that is.

My teacher provided a hint for this question to the class that I don't understand either, and I'm not sure where this hint is supposed to lead me.
unknown.png

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 333
Your teacher's hint is what I was suggesting in my post.
In the inequality in your teacher's hint, look at the interval [k, k+1] on the x-axis. Draw a rectangle whose width is 1 and whose height is 1/k. What's the area of this rectangle? (Easy question)
Also draw a curve from the point (k, 1/k) to the point (k + 1, 1/(k + 1)). The region under the curve is the integral in your teacher's hint. Which area is larger?

BTW, the graph you included in post #3 really is irrelevant in this problem, which is why I said earlier that you have drawn the wrong graphs.

Mark44 said:
What's the area of this rectangle?

The area for such a rectangle would equal 1/k.

Mark44 said:
Which area is larger?

Substituting 1=k shows me that the area for the rectangle is larger than the region underneath the curve. Which makes sense as this shows that g(n) > f(n). But how would I go about proving this for all values of k ∈ Z ?

gex said:
The area for such a rectangle would equal 1/k.
Substituting 1=k shows me that the area for the rectangle is larger than the region underneath the curve. Which makes sense as this shows that g(n) > f(n). But how would I go about proving this for all values of k ∈ Z ?
Pick an arbitrary interval, [k, k + 1]. If g(x) > f(x) is true on an arbitrary interval, it's true for each one of them.

Mark44 said:
Pick an arbitrary interval, [k, k + 1]. If g(x) > f(x) is true on an arbitrary interval, it's true for each one of them.

Thank you for your help Mark, I finally solved the problem :)

Related to Show that for all n ∈ Z (>0), g(n) > f(n)

1. What does the statement "for all n ∈ Z (>0), g(n) > f(n)" mean?

The statement means that for any positive integer n, the value of g(n) is always greater than the value of f(n).

2. How is this statement proven?

This statement can be proven using mathematical induction, where we show that the statement holds true for n=1 (base case) and then assume it holds true for any arbitrary positive integer k. We then use this assumption to prove that it also holds true for k+1 (inductive step), thus proving the statement for all positive integers.

3. What are g(n) and f(n) in this statement?

g(n) and f(n) are mathematical functions that take in a positive integer n as input and produce a value as output. The statement is saying that for any positive integer n, the output of g(n) will always be greater than the output of f(n).

4. Can this statement be generalized to other types of numbers?

Yes, this statement can be generalized to other types of numbers, as long as the functions g(n) and f(n) are defined for those numbers. For example, if g(x) and f(x) are defined for all real numbers greater than 0, then the statement "for all x ∈ R (>0), g(x) > f(x)" would hold true.

5. What are some real-world applications of this statement?

This statement has many real-world applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and physics. For example, it can be used to prove the time complexity of algorithms, the convergence of mathematical series, and the inequality of economic models. It is also commonly used in proofs involving inequalities in physics and engineering.