Show that φ(v)=λv for a vector v and a coefficient λ

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of two statements regarding a linear map $\phi$ on a $\mathbb{K}$-vector space $V$ of dimension $n$ and the existence of subspaces $U_1, \ldots , U_n$ that are $\phi$-invariant. It is shown that there exists a nonzero vector $v$ and a scalar $\lambda$ such that $\phi(v)=\lambda v$ if $U_1$ is not the trivial subspace and the containments $U_i\subseteq U_{i+1}$ are strict.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

Let $\mathbb{K}$ be a field, $1\leq n\in \mathbb{N}$ and let $V$ be a $\mathbb{K}$-vector space with $\dim_{\mathbb{R}}V=n$. Let $\phi :V\rightarrow V$ be a linear map.

The following two statements are equivalent:

- There is a basis $B$ of $V$ such that $M_B(\phi)$ is an upper triangular matrix.

- There are subspaces $U_1, \ldots , U_n\leq_{\mathbb{K}}V$ such that $U_i\subset U_{i+1}$ and $U_i$ is $\phi$-invariant.

Let $\phi$ satisfy the above properties. Then show that there is $0\neq v\in V$ and a $\lambda\in \mathbb{K}$ such that $\phi (v)=\lambda v$.

For that I have done the following:

We consider the subspace $U_1$. Since $U_1$ is $\phi$-invariant, it follows for $v\in U_1\subset V$ that $\phi (v)=\lambda v$, with $\lambda\in \mathbb{K}$.

Is that correct and complete? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! 😊

Let $\mathbb{K}$ be a field, $1\leq n\in \mathbb{N}$ and let $V$ be a $\mathbb{K}$-vector space with $\dim_{\mathbb{R}}V=n$. Let $\phi :V\rightarrow V$ be a linear map.

The following two statements are equivalent:

- There is a basis $B$ of $V$ such that $M_B(\phi)$ is an upper triangular matrix.

- There are subspaces $U_1, \ldots , U_n\leq_{\mathbb{K}}V$ such that $U_i\subset U_{i+1}$ and $U_i$ is $\phi$-invariant.

Let $\phi$ satisfy the above properties. Then show that there is $0\neq v\in V$ and a $\lambda\in \mathbb{K}$ such that $\phi (v)=\lambda v$.

For that I have done the following:

We consider the subspace $U_1$. Since $U_1$ is $\phi$-invariant, it follows for $v\in U_1\subset V$ that $\phi (v)=\lambda v$, with $\lambda\in \mathbb{K}$.

Is that correct and complete? :unsure:
The two statements that you have mentioned are equivalent provided you assume that $U_1$ is not the trivial subsspace and the containments $U_i\subseteq U_{i+1}$ are strict.

With this, you, in your argument, need to mention $U_1$ is necessarily one dimensional (do you see why) and that $v$ can be chosen to be nonzero.

Related to Show that φ(v)=λv for a vector v and a coefficient λ

1. What is φ(v)?

φ(v) is a function that takes in a vector v as its input and outputs a new vector. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent transformations on vectors.

2. What is the significance of λ in φ(v)=λv?

λ is a coefficient that scales the vector v in the transformation. It determines the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector φ(v).

3. How is φ(v)=λv different from a scalar multiplication?

In scalar multiplication, a scalar value multiplies each component of a vector. In φ(v)=λv, the entire vector v is multiplied by the scalar value λ, resulting in a new vector that may have different components.

4. Can φ(v)=λv be applied to any type of vector?

Yes, φ(v)=λv can be applied to any type of vector, as long as the vector operations are defined for that type. This includes vectors in 2D or 3D space, as well as abstract vectors in linear algebra.

5. What is the purpose of showing φ(v)=λv for a vector v and a coefficient λ?

By showing φ(v)=λv, we can prove that the transformation φ is a linear transformation, meaning it preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication. This is important in many applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of linear equations or finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.