Show that (du/dv)t=T(dp/dT)v-p - please explain

In summary: We get(T(ds/dT)v - (du/dT)v)dT+(T(ds/dv)T-(du/dv)T-p)dV=0Since this should be true for any values of dV and dT we must have(du/dT)v = T(ds/dT)vand(du/dv)T = T(ds/dv)T-pIn summary, using the Maxwell relation and the given equations, we can show that (du/dv)T = T(dp/dT)v - p.
ConstantinL

Homework Statement

Show that (du/dv)T = T(dp/dt)v - p

Homework Equations

Using Tds = du + pdv and a Maxwell relation

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the problem, but I'm not entirely sure my method is correct.

Tds = du + pdv ---> du = Tds - Pdv

- Using dF=(dF/dx)ydx +(dF/dy)xdy
du=(du/dT)v+(du/dv)Tdv

- Therefore Tds - Pdv = (du/dT)v+(du/dv)Tdv

- Divide by dv:
(du/dT)vdT/dv + (du/dv)T = T(ds/dv)T - p

Now, to get the right answer, this term:

(du/dT)vdT/dv

must equal zero, but I'm not sure why - please can somebody explain?

Then you simply insert Maxwell relation -(ds/dv)T = -(dp/dT)v
and rearrange to get the correct answer.

Many thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have started out by substituting $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$

Chestermiller said:
You should have started out by substituting $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$

Thanks for your help. I still get to a similar problem unfortunately. I get to here:

(ds/dT)vdT/dv + (ds/dv)T = (du/dv)T1/T + p/T

How do I get ride of the (ds/dT)vdT/dv term?

Many thanks!

ConstantinL said:
Thanks for your help. I still get to a similar problem unfortunately. I get to here:

(ds/dT)vdT/dv + (ds/dv)T = (du/dv)T1/T + p/T

How do I get ride of the (ds/dT)vdT/dv term?

Many thanks!
T(ds/dT)vdT + T(ds/dv)TdV = (du/dv)TdV+(du/dT)VdT + pdV
Collect factors of dV and dT.

Related to Show that (du/dv)t=T(dp/dT)v-p - please explain

1. What is the meaning of the equation (du/dv)t=T(dp/dT)v-p?

The equation (du/dv)t=T(dp/dT)v-p represents the mathematical relationship between the change in internal energy (du) with respect to volume (dv) at constant temperature (t), and the change in temperature (dp) with respect to pressure (dT) at constant volume (v). Essentially, it shows how a change in one variable affects the other variables, while keeping the remaining variables constant.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the fundamental relationship between entropy (S), internal energy (U), and volume (V) known as the First Law of Thermodynamics. It states that the change in internal energy (dU) of a system is equal to the heat added (dQ) minus the work done (dW) on the system. By rearranging this equation and using the definitions of heat capacity and coefficient of thermal expansion, we can arrive at the equation (du/dv)t=T(dp/dT)v-p.

3. Can you explain the significance of this equation in thermodynamics?

This equation is significant in thermodynamics because it helps us understand how different thermodynamic variables are related to each other. It allows us to predict how changes in one variable (such as temperature or pressure) will affect the other variables (such as internal energy or volume) in a given system at constant temperature or volume. This equation is also used in the calculation of thermodynamic properties and in the analysis of thermodynamic processes.

4. How is this equation used in practical applications?

This equation is used in many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. By understanding the relationship between different thermodynamic variables, engineers and scientists can optimize these systems for maximum efficiency. This equation is also used in the development of new materials and in the study of phase transitions in various substances.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

Like any mathematical model, this equation has its limitations. It assumes that the system being studied is in a state of thermal equilibrium, meaning that all variables are constant and there is no net transfer of heat or work. This equation also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the system, such as changes in pressure or temperature gradients. Additionally, this equation is based on idealized systems and may not accurately describe real-world systems with complex interactions and non-ideal behavior.