Show that a (1,2)-tensor is a linear function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tensors and their representations as linear and multilinear functions. The tensor product of three spaces is described as a multilinear map satisfying distributivity by addition and associativity in multiplication by a scalar. The question arises as to what kind of function a tensor is, and it is clarified that it is a multilinear function, with arguments being vectors and covectors. The discussion also touches on the use of capital letters to represent vectors and small letters to represent covectors.
KungFu
Homework Statement
problem:
1a) show that a (1,2)-tensor T is a linear function T: ##E^* x E x E ##
(A (1,2)-tensor is a tensor that takes one vector from E and two covectors form the dual space #E^*#
Relevant Equations
I need some help on where to start.
I know that a tensor can be seen as a linear function.
I know that the tensor product of three spaces can be seen as a multilinear map satisfying distributivity by addition and associativity in multiplication by a scalar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your explanation of ##(1,2)## is ambiguous. Is it an element of ##E\otimes E^*\otimes E^*## or an element of ##E^*\otimes E\otimes E##? Let us assume we have a tensor ##T\in E\otimes E^*\otimes E^*##. This means we have
$$
T=\sum_{\rho=1}^r U_\rho \otimes v_\rho \otimes w_\rho\; , \; (X,Y) \longmapsto \sum_{\rho=1}^r U_\rho \cdot v_\rho(X) \cdot w_\rho(Y) \in E
$$
What kind of function is ##T## then? The situation for ##T'\in E^*\otimes E \otimes E## is accordingly.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Your explanation of ##(1,2)## is ambiguous. Is it an element of ##E\otimes E^*\otimes E^*## or an element of ##E^*\otimes E\otimes E##? Let us assume we have a tensor ##T\in E\otimes E^*\otimes E^*##. This means we have
$$
T=\sum_{\rho=1}^r U_\rho \otimes v_\rho \otimes w_\rho\; , \; (X,Y) \longmapsto \sum_{\rho=1}^r U_\rho \otimes v_\rho(X) \otimes w_\rho(Y) \in E
$$
What kind of function is ##T## then? The situation for ##T'\in E^*\otimes E \otimes E## is accordingly.

yes, sorry, I had a typo in my description. it is an element of ##E\otimes E^*\otimes E^*##

Can you please explain to me what the capital U and the w and v are in your expression? and also the X and the Y

KungFu said:
yes, sorry, I had a typo in my description. it is an element of ##E\otimes E^*\otimes E^*##

Can you please explain to me what the capital U and the w and v are in your expression? and also the X and the Y
The tensor isn't a linear function in that case. What is it?

fresh_42 said:
The tensor isn't a linear function in that case. What is it?

The tensor is a mulitlinear function, but why?, I don't see the arguments. I have been told that it is linear in each variable, due to the distributivity of the field R (real numbers), but can I show it, or is it just by definition ?

You can show it with the definition, see my corrected post #2. I made a copy and paste error and forgot to change ##\otimes## into ##\cdot## which I now did.

Related to Show that a (1,2)-tensor is a linear function

1. What is a (1,2)-tensor?

A (1,2)-tensor is a mathematical object that maps a pair of vectors to a scalar value. It is a type of multilinear function that takes one vector as input and returns another vector as output.

2. How do you show that a (1,2)-tensor is linear?

To show that a (1,2)-tensor is linear, you must demonstrate that it satisfies the properties of linearity. This means that it must satisfy the properties of additivity and homogeneity, which state that the function must preserve vector addition and scalar multiplication.

3. What is the difference between a (1,2)-tensor and a linear function?

A (1,2)-tensor is a specific type of linear function that takes two vectors as input and returns a scalar value. Linear functions, on the other hand, can take any number of vectors as input and return a scalar or vector as output.

4. How can you determine if a (1,2)-tensor is symmetric or antisymmetric?

A (1,2)-tensor is symmetric if it returns the same value when the order of the input vectors is switched. It is antisymmetric if it returns the negative of the value when the order of the input vectors is switched. To determine if a (1,2)-tensor is symmetric or antisymmetric, you can plug in a pair of vectors and see if the output changes when the order of the vectors is switched.

5. What are some real-world applications of (1,2)-tensors?

(1,2)-tensors have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model stress and strain in materials, describe the flow of fluids, and represent transformations in computer graphics. They are also used in machine learning algorithms to process and analyze data.