Show Pointwise Convergence of g_n to Zero Function

In summary, the conversation is about proving pointwise convergence and non-uniform convergence for a continuous non-constant function, g_n, given a function f on [0,1]. The participants of the conversation discuss different approaches and proofs, including using the sup function and finding specific values for x and n.
Carl140

Homework Statement

Let f: [0,1] -> R (R-real numbers) be a continuous non constant
function such that f(0)=f(1)=0. Let g_n be the function: x-> f(x^n)
for each x in [0,1]. I'm trying to show that g_n converges pointwise to
the zero function but NOT uniformly to the zero function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought: sup |g_n(x) | = sup |f(x^n)| now if I can only show that this doesn't
tends to zero then we are done but I can't. I also have no idea how to show
it converges pointwise to zero. Can you please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a definite point, say x=1/2. What's lim x^n? What's lim f(x^n)?

Dick said:
Pick a definite point, say x=1/2. What's lim x^n? What's lim f(x^n)?

Ok here's what I think it's a "proof".

To show pointwise convergence:

If x<1 then x^n converges pointwise to 0 , then because f is continuous f(x^n) -> f(0) =0.
But f(x^n) = g_n(x) so g_n(x) ->0 if n->infinity and x<1.
Now if x=1 then g_n(1) = f(1^n ) = f(1) =0 so g_n(1) =0.
Conclusion: g converges pointwise everywhere to 0.

Is this proof correct?

Now to show it is NOT uniformly convergent.
Let x=1/2 then x^n = (1/2)^n = 1/2^n which goes to 0.
Now f(x^n) = f(1/2^n) but then I don't know how to compute this limit.

That's the idea for pointwise convergence alright. To show it's not uniform go back to sup |f(x^n)| over x in [0,1]. How does that compare with sup |f(x)| over x in [0,1]?

Dick said:
That's the idea for pointwise convergence alright. To show it's not uniform go back to sup |f(x^n)| over x in [0,1]. How does that compare with sup |f(x)| over x in [0,1]?

Thank you for helping, really appreciated.
I think you suggest to show that sup |f(x^n) | >= |sup(f(x)| but I don't know how
to prove this inequality. Any hints you can please provide?

Carl140 said:
Thank you for helping, really appreciated.
I think you suggest to show that sup |f(x^n) | >= |sup(f(x)| but I don't know how
to prove this inequality. Any hints you can please provide?

For every n, find an x such that xn=1/2. Since f is non-constant, you know somewhere f is non-zero, so do the same for that point

I, in fact, think to show sup |f(x^n)|=sup |f(x)|. x goes from 0 to 1, x^n also goes from 0 to 1 for each n. f is going to range over the same values in both cases, isn't it?

Dick said:
I, in fact, think to show sup |f(x^n)|=sup |f(x)|. x goes from 0 to 1, x^n also goes from 0 to 1 for each n. f is going to range over the same values in both cases, isn't it?

Thanks guys, is this correct?
We want to show that sup | f(x^n) | = sup |f(x)|.
Let M = sup |f(x)| which exists because f is continuous and [0,1] is compact.

Now observe that no matter for each x in [0,1] x^n is also in [0,1].
For simplicity let y_n = x^n. Then each y_n is an element of [0,1].
Then by assumption M = sup | f(x) | x in [0,1], so simply "replace" x by y_n.
Then M = sup | f(x^n) | x in [0,1] and we are done (I think)

Is this correct?

One more thing:
To show x^n converges pointwise to zero we shall prove that for all e>0 there
exists natural n>=N such that x^n< e.
n< log(e)/log(x).

So what natural N can we take?

That's coming out a little confusing. I think you just say that range(f)=f([0,1]) for both f(x) and f(x^n). Since as x goes from 0 to 1, x^n also goes from 0 to 1. But for purposes of the proof, all you really need is that sup |f(x^n)| is greater than some positive constant. You could follow Office-Shredder's suggestion and just concentrate on a single nonzero point, if that makes it easier to write down. You might be getting confused in your epsilon proof because log(x) and log(e) are negative. Multiply both sides of n*log(x)<log(e) by -1 to get n>|log(e)|/|log(x)|.

Thanks very much! Got it now.

Related to Show Pointwise Convergence of g_n to Zero Function

1. How do you define pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence of a sequence of functions g_n to a function g means that for every x in the domain of g, the sequence g_n(x) converges to g(x) as n approaches infinity.

2. What is the importance of proving pointwise convergence?

Proving pointwise convergence is important because it ensures that the limit of the sequence of functions exists at each point in the domain. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics, especially in analysis and calculus.

3. What is the difference between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence?

The main difference between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence is that in pointwise convergence, the limit of the sequence of functions may vary at different points in the domain, while in uniform convergence, the limit is the same at all points in the domain.

4. How do you show pointwise convergence of g_n to the zero function?

To show pointwise convergence of g_n to the zero function, we need to prove that for every x in the domain of the zero function, the sequence g_n(x) converges to 0 as n approaches infinity. This can be done using the definition of pointwise convergence and the properties of limits.

5. What are some applications of pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence is used in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, calculus, and functional analysis. It is also important in the study of series and integrals, as well as in the convergence of numerical methods in computing. Pointwise convergence is also crucial in the proof of many theorems and in the development of mathematical models.