Show metric perturbation transformation

In summary, the transformation of the metric perturbation ##B_i## to ##\tilde{B_i}## involves the addition of the terms ##\partial_iT## and ##-\partial_{\eta}L_i##. To obtain this result, one can consider the transformation of the components individually and identify the appropriate terms. It may also be helpful to keep in mind that ##\partial_{\eta}L^i## is a function of both ##\eta## and ##\vec{x}##.
Valeriia Lukashenko

Homework Statement

Consider following transformation: Transformation: $$X^{\mu}\rightarrow \tilde{X^{\mu}}= X^{\mu}+\xi^{\mu}(\eta, \vec{x})$$
where ##\xi^0=T, \xi^i=L_i##
Show transformation of metric perturbation ##B_i\rightarrow \tilde{B_i}=B_i+\partial_iT-\partial_{\eta}L_i##

Homework Equations

Perturbed metric: $$ds^2=a^2(\eta)[(1+2A)d\eta-2B_idx^id\eta-(\delta_{ij}+h_{ij})dx^idx^j]$$
$$g_{\mu\nu}(X)=\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\alpha}}}{\partial X^{\mu}}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\beta}}}{\partial X^{\nu}}\tilde{g_{\alpha\beta}}(\tilde{X})$$
where ##\tilde{g_{\alpha\beta}}(\tilde{X})## is metric in new coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

$$g_{0i}(X)=\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\alpha}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\beta}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{\alpha\beta}}(\tilde{X})$$

$$\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\alpha}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\beta}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{\alpha\beta}}(\tilde{X})=\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{0}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{0}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{00}}(\tilde{X})+\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{0}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{i}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{0i}}(\tilde{X})+\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{i}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{0}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{i0}}(\tilde{X})+\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{i}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{j}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{ij}}(\tilde{X})$$

$$\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\alpha}}}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \tilde{X^{\beta}}}{\partial X^{i}}\tilde{g_{\alpha\beta}}(\tilde{X})=(1+\partial_{\eta}T)\partial_iT\tilde{g_{00}}(\tilde{X})+(1+\partial_{\eta}T)(1+\partial_iL^i)\tilde{g_{0i}}(\tilde{X})+(\partial_{\eta}X^i+\partial_{\eta}L^i)\partial_iT\tilde{g_{i0}}(\tilde{X})+(\partial_{\eta}X^i+\partial_{\eta}L^i)(\delta^{ij}+\partial_{i}L^j)\tilde{g_{ij}}(\tilde{X})=(1+\partial_{\eta}T)\partial_iTa^2(\eta+T)(1+2\tilde{A})-2(1+\partial_{\eta}T)(1+\partial_iL^i)a^2(\eta+T)\tilde{B_i}-2(\partial_{\eta}X^i+\partial_{\eta}L^i)\partial_iTa^2(\eta+T)\tilde{B_i}-(\partial_{\eta}X^i+\partial_{\eta}L^i)(\delta^{ij}+\partial_{i}L^j)a^2(\eta+T)(\delta_{ij}+\tilde{h_{ij}})$$

I don't see how to get the answer because at first order I get ##2B_i## and don't see how to get ##\partial_{\eta}L^i##. Could anyone give me a hint how to get the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

One possible hint is to consider the transformation of the perturbed metric components individually. Specifically, focus on the transformation of ##B_i## and see if you can identify any terms that will give you ##\partial_{\eta}L^i## when you apply the transformation. Additionally, it may be helpful to keep in mind that ##\partial_{\eta}L^i## is a function of both ##\eta## and ##\vec{x}##.

Related to Show metric perturbation transformation

1. What is a show metric perturbation transformation?

A show metric perturbation transformation is a type of mathematical transformation used in the field of perturbation theory to study the behavior of a physical system under small variations or perturbations. It involves transforming the equations of motion of a system into a new set of variables that are better suited for analyzing the effects of perturbations.

2. How is a show metric perturbation transformation different from other types of transformations?

Unlike other types of transformations, a show metric perturbation transformation is specifically designed to analyze the behavior of a system under small perturbations. It takes into account the specific properties of the system and its equations of motion to provide more accurate results.

3. What are the applications of show metric perturbation transformation?

Show metric perturbation transformation is commonly used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering and computer science to analyze the stability of systems and to design control systems.

4. What are the limitations of show metric perturbation transformation?

One of the main limitations of show metric perturbation transformation is that it is only applicable to small perturbations. If the perturbations are too large, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, the transformation can be complex and time-consuming, making it difficult to apply in certain situations.

5. How is show metric perturbation transformation related to perturbation theory?

Show metric perturbation transformation is a key component of perturbation theory, which is a mathematical approach used to study the behavior of systems under small variations. The transformation helps to simplify the equations of motion and make them easier to solve, allowing for a better understanding of the effects of perturbations on the system.