Show linear dependence directly

In summary: I was going to say what you did - that the trivial answer is always an option. So this is just a matter of finding one solution that works, and there's usually more than one.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that three given functions are linearly dependent on the real line by finding a non-trivial linear combination of the functions that yields a zero result. The solution process involves finding three equations for three unknown constants and solving for their values. The conversation concludes that there are multiple valid solutions, and the choice of which coefficients to use in the linear combination is arbitrary.
2h2o

Homework Statement

Show directly that the given functions are linearly dependent on the real line==>find a non-trivial linear combination of the given functions that vanishes identically.

Homework Equations

[tex]f(x) = 2x, g(x) = 3x^{2}, h(x) = 5x-8x^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the structure of the solution will be [tex]C_{1}y_{1}+C_{2}y_{2}+C_{3}y_{3}=0[/tex], so I find three equations for the three unknown constants.

[tex]C_{1}2x + C_{2}3x^{2} + C_{3}(5x-8x^{2}) = 0 [/tex]...[1]

first derivative

[tex]2C_{1} + 6C_{2}x + C_{3}(5-16x) = 0 [/tex]...[[2]

second derivative

[tex]0 + 6C_{2} -16C_{3} = 0 [/tex]...[3]

Upon which I begin finding the constants:

Equation [3] immediately shows that [tex]6C_{2}=16C_{3}[/tex]

Then [2] becomes

[tex]2C_{1}+5C_{3}=0[/tex]

hence [tex]2C_{1} = -5C_{3}[/tex]

Now [tex]C_{1}=\frac{-5C_{3}}{2}[/tex]

So [tex]C_{1}=\frac{-5}{2}*\frac{3C_{2}}{8} = \frac{-15}{16}C_{2}[/tex]

Now everything I try gives me the wrong solutions..matrix, substitution (infinite substitutions since every constant is related to another constant.)

So how do I prove that these functions are L.D.?

Magically (or so it seems) the solution is supposed to be [tex]15(2x) - 16(3x^{2}) - 6(5x-8x^{2})=0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, let's recap. You got C1=(-5/2)*C3 and C2=(16/6)*C3. That means you can express C1 and C2 in terms of C3. Ok, let's try it. They gave you a solution where C3=(-6). From your solution that means C1=15 and C2=-16. That checks, right? You could also have put C3 equal to anything else nonzero and gotten a different but valid answer.

Yep, that checks out just fine. So the choice of C3=(-6) was totally arbitrary and that is what was throwing me for a loop. So it turns out then that I had A correct answer all along, just not THE correct answer that they chose to yield nice, neat integer coefficients.

I used a matrix to solve (w/o using a Wronskian) for the coefficients of C1=5/2, C2=(-8/3), then C3=-1. Which works, and I believe to be valid because the "trivial solution" has all of the coefficients as zero--which implies to me that one or "some" coefficients can be zero in the non-trivial solution.

Thanks, Dick. If there is a flaw in my above reasoning, please let me know.

Cheers!

No flaws. They just picked one answer to show you. You found another. There's an infinite number of possible choices that work.

Related to Show linear dependence directly

What does it mean to show linear dependence directly?

Showing linear dependence directly means demonstrating that one vector can be written as a linear combination of other vectors. This means that the vector can be expressed as a constant multiple of another vector, with the addition of other vectors.

How is linear dependence related to linear algebra?

Linear dependence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra. It refers to the relationship between vectors in a vector space, and is used to determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

What is the difference between linear dependence and linear independence?

The main difference between linear dependence and linear independence is that linear dependence means that one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors, while linear independence means that no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of other vectors.

Why is it important to show linear dependence directly?

Showing linear dependence directly is important because it helps in determining the dimension of a vector space, and also in solving systems of linear equations. It is also a key concept in understanding linear transformations and their properties.

What are some methods for showing linear dependence directly?

There are several methods for showing linear dependence directly, including using the definition of linear dependence, solving systems of linear equations, and finding the determinant of a matrix. Other methods include using Gaussian elimination, the rank-nullity theorem, and the Gram-Schmidt process.