Show Irreducibility of $K^n$ Algebraic Set $V$ iff $I(V)$ is a Prime Ideal

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime Set
In summary: Worried)In summary, the process of finding two polynomials $f,g\in K[x_{1},\ldots, x_{m}]$ such that $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ with $f\notin I(V), g\notin I(V)$ is necessary in order to prove that the ideal I is not prime.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)I want to show that the algebraic set of $K^n$, $V$, is irreducible iff $I(V)$ is a prime ideal.

That's what I have tried so far:

We know that the algebraic set $V$ is irreducible iff $V$ cannot be written as $V=V_1 \cup V_2$, where $V_1, V_2$ are algebraic sets of $K^n$ and $V_1 \subset V$, $V_2 \subset V$.

We suppose that $V$ is reducible.

Then, there are the algebraic sets $V_1, V_2 \subset V$ such that $V=V_1 \cup V_2$.

So, $I(V)=I(V_1 \cup V_2)=I(V_1) \cap I(V_2)$.

We have that $V_1 \subset V \Rightarrow I(V) \subset I(V_1)$ and that $V_2 \subset V \Rightarrow I(V) \subset I(V_2)$.

We want to show that $R/I$ is not an integral domain.

$R/I=\{a+I | a \in R\}$

$(a+I)(b+I)=a \cdot b+a \cdot I+b \cdot I+I \cdot I=a \cdot b$

We take $a \in V_1(K^n)$ and $b \in V_2 (K^n)$.

That means that $f(a)=0, \forall f \in K^n$ and $g(b)=0, \forall g \in K^n$.

Is it right? If so, how could we continue? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi evinda,

Left you some comments in red

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)I want to show that the algebraic set of $K^n$, $V$, is irreducible iff $I(V)$ is a prime ideal.

That's what I have tried so far:

We know that the algebraic set $V$ is irreducible iff $V$ cannot be written as $V=V_1 \cup V_2$, where $V_1, V_2$ are algebraic sets of $K^n$ and $V_1 \subset V$, $V_2 \subset V$.

We suppose that $V$ is reducible.

Then, there are the algebraic sets $V_1, V_2 \subset V$ such that $V=V_1 \cup V_2$.

So, $I(V)=I(V_1 \cup V_2)=I(V_1) \cap I(V_2)$.

We have that $V_1 \subset V \Rightarrow I(V) \subset I(V_1)$ and that $V_2 \subset V \Rightarrow I(V) \subset I(V_2)$.Everything OK until this point.

We want to show that $R/I$ is not an integral domain. $I$ is not defined, I know it's $I(V)$, but you need to be careful.
The same happens with R

$R/I=\{a+I | a \in R\}$

$(a+I)(b+I)=a \cdot b+a \cdot I+b \cdot I+I \cdot I=a \cdot b$$+I$

The next sentences makes no sense, or at least I can't see it.
We take $a \in V_1(K^n)$ and $b \in V_2 (K^n)$.

That means that $f(a)=0, \forall f \in K^n$ and $g(b)=0, \forall g \in K^n$.

Is it right? If so, how could we continue? (Thinking)

First, the operator \(\displaystyle V\) is applied over \(\displaystyle K[x_{1},\ldots,x_{m}]\), not over $K^{n}$

What you are supposed to do it's find two polynomials $f,g\in K[x_{1},\ldots, x_{m}]$ such that $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ with $f\notin I(V), g\notin I(V)$

In order to do that try to use the inclusions you wrote at first steps.

Fallen Angel said:
What you are supposed to do it's find two polynomials $f,g\in K[x_{1},\ldots, x_{m}]$ such that $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ with $f\notin I(V), g\notin I(V)$

Why do we have to find two polynomials $f,g\in K[x_{1},\ldots, x_{m}]$ such that $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ with $f\notin I(V), g\notin I(V)$? (Thinking)

Does this mean that $I$ is not a prime ideal? If so, why is it like that? :confused:

Sorry for not writing maths, I am with the mobile phone.

Being in I(V) is the same as being zero in the quotient, so finding that polynomials is proving that the quotient is not an integral domain and then I(V) is not prime.

Fallen Angel said:
Sorry for not writing maths, I am with the mobile phone.

Being in I(V) is the same as being zero in the quotient, so finding that polynomials is proving that the quotient is not an integral domain and then I(V) is not prime.

Could you explain it further to me? (Worried)

Hi,

You want to prove that an ideal \(\displaystyle I=I(V)\) of a ring \(\displaystyle R=K[x_{1},\ldots, x_{m}]\) is not a prime ideal.

Or, equivalently, you want to prove that $R/I$ is not an integral domain (¿You know this equivalence or do I need to prove it?)

For proving that some ring is not an integral domain, the natural way is find two non zero elements such that their product is zero.

In a quotient, the elements you got are equivalence classes modulo the relation \(\displaystyle a+I=b+I \Leftrightarrow a-b \in I\), so \(\displaystyle a+I=0+I \Leftrightarrow a\in I\).

Now, traslating the paragraph above, you want to find two elements $a,b\in R$, such that $a,b\notin I$(i.e., they are nonzero in the quotient $R/I$) and $a\cdot b \in I$(i.e, their product is zero in the quotient $R/I$)

For doing that you got the inclusions $I(V)\subset I(V_{1})$ and $I(V)\subset I(V_{2})$, so you can take $f\in I(V_{1})\setminus I(V)$, $g\in I(V_{2})\setminus I(V)$

Hence, $f\cdot g\in I(V)$ (i.e They are zero in the quotient) with $f,g\notin I(V)$(i.e. They are non zero in the quotient).If you have understood this exercise, you should be able to explain me why $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ :D

Fallen Angel said:
If you have understood this exercise, you should be able to explain me why $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ :D

Since $f \in I(V_1) \setminus I(V)$ and $g \in I(V_2) \setminus I(V)$, is their product $f \cdot g$ in the union of $I(V_1) \setminus I(V)$ and $I(V_2) \setminus I(V)$? (Thinking)

No, $f\cdot g \in I(V)$.

$f\in I(V_{1})$ means that for every point $x\in V_{1}$, $f(x)=0$.

$g\in I(V_{2})$ means that for every point $y\in V_{2}$, $g(y)=0$.

And now $V=V_{1}\cup V_{2}$ so if we got $x\in I(V)$, so $x\in V_{1}$ or $x\in V_{2}$, hence $(f\cdot g)(x)=0$

Fallen Angel said:
Hi,

You want to prove that an ideal \(\displaystyle I=I(V)\) of a ring \(\displaystyle R=K[x_{1},\ldots, x_{m}]\) is not a prime ideal.

Or, equivalently, you want to prove that $R/I$ is not an integral domain (¿You know this equivalence or do I need to prove it?)

For proving that some ring is not an integral domain, the natural way is find two non zero elements such that their product is zero.

In a quotient, the elements you got are equivalence classes modulo the relation \(\displaystyle a+I=b+I \Leftrightarrow a-b \in I\), so \(\displaystyle a+I=0+I \Leftrightarrow a\in I\).

Now, traslating the paragraph above, you want to find two elements $a,b\in R$, such that $a,b\notin I$(i.e., they are nonzero in the quotient $R/I$) and $a\cdot b \in I$(i.e, their product is zero in the quotient $R/I$)

For doing that you got the inclusions $I(V)\subset I(V_{1})$ and $I(V)\subset I(V_{2})$, so you can take $f\in I(V_{1})\setminus I(V)$, $g\in I(V_{2})\setminus I(V)$

Hence, $f\cdot g\in I(V)$ (i.e They are zero in the quotient) with $f,g\notin I(V)$(i.e. They are non zero in the quotient).If you have understood this exercise, you should be able to explain me why $f\cdot g \in I(V)$ :D

Could you explain me why we take $f\in I(V_{1})\setminus I(V)$ and $g\in I(V_{2})\setminus I(V)$? (Worried)Also, we want to show that the algebraic set of $K^n$, $V$, is irreducible iff $I(V)$ is a prime ideal.

How can we show the other direction? (Thinking)

We take $f,g$ in this way because we want two polynomials who's product is zero in the quotient but both being nonzero in the quotient.

For the other implication assume $I(V)$ is not prime, so there exists, $F_{1}\cdot F_{2}\in I(V)$ with $F_{i}\notin I(V)$ ($i$ can be 1 or 2, it doesn't matter).
Then $V=(V\cap V(F_{1}))\cup (V\cap V(F_{2}))$ and $V\cap V(F_{i})\underset{\neq}{\subset}V$, so $V$ is reducible

Fallen Angel said:
No, $f\cdot g \in I(V)$.

And now $V=V_{1}\cup V_{2}$ so if we got $x\in I(V)$, so $x\in V_{1}$ or $x\in V_{2}$, hence $(f\cdot g)(x)=0$

So, we have that $x \in V_1$ or $x \in V_2$?

Does it stand that $V_1=V_1(I(V_1))$, or why do we conclude that $\forall f \in I(V_1): f(x)=0$ ? (Thinking)

Fallen Angel said:
We take $f,g$ in this way because we want two polynomials who's product is zero in the quotient but both being nonzero in the quotient.

For the other implication assume $I(V)$ is not prime, so there exists, $F_{1}\cdot F_{2}\in I(V)$ with $F_{i}\notin I(V)$ ($i$ can be 1 or 2, it doesn't matter).
Then $V=(V\cap V(F_{1}))\cup (V\cap V(F_{2}))$ and $V\cap V(F_{i})\underset{\neq}{\subset}V$, so $V$ is reducible

How do we get that $V=(V\cap V(F_{1}))\cup (V\cap V(F_{2}))$ and $V\cap V(F_{i})\underset{\neq}{\subset}V$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, we have that $x \in V_1$ or $x \in V_2$?

Does it stand that $V_1=V_1(I(V_1))$, or why do we conclude that $\forall f \in I(V_1): f(x)=0$ ? (Thinking)

I don't understand this question, $V_1=V_1(I(V_1))$ make no sense (probably a typo,$V_1=V(I(V_1))$ )and I haven't concluded that.For the other post, we have $F_{1}\cdot F_{2} \in I(V)$, so $(F_{1}\cdot F_{2})(x)=0, \ \forall x\in V$, then $\forall x\in V, \ F_{1}(x)=0$ or $F_{2}(x)=0$.

So every point in $V$ is a zero of $F_{1}$ or a zero of $F_{2}$.

By definition, $V(F_{1})$ is the set of zeros of $F_{1}$.

Hence, $V$ can be expressed as the points that are in $V$ and vanishes $F_{1}$ , this is $V\cap V(F_{1})$ and the points that are in $V$ and vanishes $F_{2}$, this is $V\cap V(F_{2})$.

$V\cap V(F_{i})\subset V$ is obvious and the non equality follows from the fact that $F_{i}\notin I(V)$.PS: In the post you quoted me there is a typo, I will correct it now

Correction
Fallen Angel said:
No, $f\cdot g \in I(V)$.

And now $V=V_{1}\cup V_{2}$ so if we got $\color{red}x\in V\color{black}$, so $x\in V_{1}$ or $x\in V_{2}$, hence $(f\cdot g)(x)=0$

Related to Show Irreducibility of $K^n$ Algebraic Set $V$ iff $I(V)$ is a Prime Ideal

1. What does it mean for an algebraic set to be irreducible?

An algebraic set is irreducible if it cannot be expressed as the union of two proper algebraic subsets. In other words, there are no nontrivial algebraic subsets that contain all of the points in the original set.

2. What is the definition of a prime ideal?

A prime ideal in an algebraic variety is an ideal that cannot be factored into smaller ideals. In other words, it is an ideal that is not a product of two nontrivial ideals.

3. How is the irreducibility of a $K^n$ algebraic set related to the primeness of its ideal?

The ideal of an algebraic set is prime if and only if the algebraic set is irreducible. This means that the ideal cannot be factored into smaller ideals, and therefore the algebraic set cannot be expressed as the union of smaller subsets.

4. Can the converse statement be made? That is, if an ideal is prime, is its corresponding algebraic set always irreducible?

Yes, the converse statement is also true. If the ideal of an algebraic set is prime, then the algebraic set is irreducible. This is because if the ideal cannot be factored into smaller ideals, then the algebraic set cannot be expressed as the union of smaller subsets.

5. How is this theorem used in algebra and other fields of science?

This theorem is commonly used in algebraic geometry, which is the study of algebraic varieties and their properties. It is also applicable in other fields such as in physics, where algebraic sets and ideals are used to study symmetries and equations in quantum mechanics and relativity.