Find Linear Mapping: Help Solving $V \setminus (W_1 \cup \cdots \cup W_m)$

In summary: so $\ell_1=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\\ 0\end{pmatrix}$ and $\ell_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\\ 0\end{pmatrix}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $F$ be a field with infinite elements and $V$ a $F$-linear space of dimension $n$ and $W_1, \dots, W_m$ subspaces of $V$ of dimension $n_i<n, i=1, \dots, m$. We want to show that $V \setminus{(W_1 \cup \cdots \cup W_m)} \neq \varnothing$.

1. Fix a basis $\{ v_1, \dots, v_n\}$ of $V$. Show that there is a non-zero linear mapping $\ell_k: V \to F$, such that $W_k \subset ker(\ell_k)$ (i.e. $w \in W \Rightarrow \ell_k(w)=0$).
  2. Construct a non-zero polynomial $f_k(X_1, \dots, X_n) \in F[X_1, \dots, X_n]$ such that $x_1 v_1+\dots+ x_n v_n \in W_k \Rightarrow f_k(x_1, \dots, x_k)=0$.
  3. Consider as given that if $f \in F[X_1, \dots, X_n]$ is a non-zero polynomial, then there is a point $(a_1, \dots, a_n) \in F^n$ such that $f(a_1, \dots, a_n) \neq 0$. Show that there is a vector $v \in V \setminus (W_1 \cup \dots \cup W_m)$.

Could you help me to find the desired linear mapping $\ell_k$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let $F$ be a field with infinite elements and $V$ a $F$-linear space of dimension $n$ and $W_1, \dots, W_m$ subspaces of $V$ of dimension $n_i<n, i=1, \dots, m$. We want to show that $V \setminus{(W_1 \cup \cdots \cup W_m)} \neq \varnothing$.

1. Fix a basis $\{ v_1, \dots, v_n\}$ of $V$. Show that there is a non-zero linear mapping $\ell_k: V \to F$, such that $W_k \subset ker(\ell_k)$ (i.e. $w \in W \Rightarrow \ell_k(w)=0$).
  2. Construct a non-zero polynomial $f_k(X_1, \dots, X_n) \in F[X_1, \dots, X_n]$ such that $x_1 v_1+\dots+ x_n v_n \in W_k \Rightarrow f_k(x_1, \dots, x_k)=0$.
  3. Consider as given that if $f \in F[X_1, \dots, X_n]$ is a non-zero polynomial, then there is a point $(a_1, \dots, a_n) \in F^n$ such that $f(a_1, \dots, a_n) \neq 0$. Show that there is a vector $v \in V \setminus (W_1 \cup \dots \cup W_m)$.

Could you help me to find the desired linear mapping $\ell_k$ ? (Thinking)

Hey evinda!

How about we start with an example and see if we can generalize from there?
For instance, what happens if we pick $n=2,\ v_1=(1,0),\ v_2=(0,1)$ and $m=1,\ W_1=\langle (1,1)\rangle$?
Can we find $\ell_k$? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Hey evinda!

How about we start with an example and see if we can generalize from there?
For instance, what happens if we pick $n=2,\ v_1=(1,0),\ v_2=(0,1)$ and $m=1,\ W_1=\langle (1,1)\rangle$?
Can we find $\ell_k$? (Wondering)

We have that $w=a(1,1)$, or not? We want to find $\ell_k$ such that $\ell_k(w)=0 \Rightarrow \ell_k(a\cdot (1,1))=0 \Rightarrow a\cdot \ell_k (1,1)=0 \Rightarrow \ell_k(1,1)=0$.

But how can we define $\ell_k$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
We have that $w=a(1,1)$, or not? We want to find $\ell_k$ such that $\ell_k(w)=0 \Rightarrow \ell_k(a\cdot (1,1))=0 \Rightarrow a\cdot \ell_k (1,1)=0 \Rightarrow \ell_k(1,1)=0$.

But how can we define $\ell_k$ ? (Thinking)

We can define a linear map between vector spaces by the images of a basis.
Or equivalently by defining a matrix.
Can we do that for the example? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We can define a linear map between vector spaces by the images of a basis.
Or equivalently by defining a matrix.
Can we do that for the example? (Wondering)

Do you mean that $\ell_k$ is defined for example as $\ell_k(v)=v\cdot \begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Do you mean that $\ell_k$ is defined for example as $\ell_k(v)=v\cdot \begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}$ ? (Thinking)

Yep. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

Ok... But how can we show that such a mapping exists in the general case? :confused:

evinda said:
Ok... But how can we show that such a mapping exists in the general case? :confused:

How did you find $\ell_k$ exactly just now? (Wondering)

Let's ramp it up.
Suppose we have $n=3,\ v_1=(1,0,0),\ v_2=(0,1,0),\ v_3=(0,0,1)$, and $m=2,\ W_1=\langle(1,1,0)\rangle,\ W_2=\langle(1,2,3),(0,0,1)\rangle$.
What will $\ell_1$ and $\ell_2$ be? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
How did you find $\ell_k$ exactly just now? (Wondering)

Let's ramp it up.
Suppose we have $n=3,\ v_1=(1,0,0),\ v_2=(0,1,0),\ v_3=(0,0,1)$, and $m=2,\ W_1=\langle(1,1,0)\rangle,\ W_2=\langle(1,2,3),(0,0,1)\rangle$.
What will $\ell_1$ and $\ell_2$ be? (Wondering)

In each case it is a matrix such that the result of the multiplication is equal to $0$, or not? :confused:

evinda said:
In each case it is a matrix such that the result of the multiplication is equal to $0$, or not? :confused:

The result of multiplication with a vector from $W_k$ must be 0, and there must be at least 1 vector that is not in $W_k$ with a non-zero result. (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
The result of multiplication with a vector from $W_k$ must be 0, and there must be at least 1 vector that is not in $W_k$ with a non-zero result. (Thinking)

Ok... But how are we sure that such a matrix exists? :confused:

evinda said:
Ok... But how are we sure that such a matrix exists? :confused:

In the example $\mathbf w_1=\mathbf v_1 + \mathbf v_2=(1,1)$ is a basis for $W_1$.
We can extend it to a basis for $V$ by adding for instance $\mathbf w_2=\mathbf v_2=(0,1)$, which is not in $W_1$.
We can now define $\ell_1$ such that $\ell_1(\mathbf w_1)=0$ and $\ell_1(\mathbf w_2)=1$, can't we?
Then we have a non-zero linear map that maps $W_1$ to $0$.
This is already sufficient to show a non-linear map exists, isn't it? (Wondering)

If we want, we can define a matrix as well.
Let $L$ be the matrix that identifies $\ell_1$.
Then $L\mathbf w_1 = 0$ and $L\mathbf w_2=1$.
In matrix notation:
$$\begin{align*}L\begin{pmatrix}\mathbf w_1 & \mathbf w_2\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\end{pmatrix}&\Rightarrow\quad
L = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\mathbf w_1 & \mathbf w_2\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\quad\Rightarrow\quad
L = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 1& 1\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\\ &\Rightarrow\quad
L = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ -1& 1\end{pmatrix}\quad\Rightarrow\quad
L = \begin{pmatrix}-1 & 1\end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}$$
We can always construct the matrix like this, so we can be sure it exists can't we? (Wondering)

So for the general case do we take as $L$ the product of the $1\times n$ matrix that contains $1$ in one position and every other element is equal to $0$, and the inverse matrix that contains as columns the vectors of $W_k$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So for the general case do we take as $L$ the product of the $1\times n$ matrix that contains $1$ in one position and every other element is equal to $0$,

Yep. (Nod)

evinda said:
and the inverse matrix that contains as columns the vectors of $W_k$ ?

We need to extend them to $n$ vectors.
Since $W_k$ has $n_k < n$ dimensions, there must be at least $n-n_k$ vectors in the basis of $V$ that are not in $W_k$, so we can use those.
Furthermore, the positions of the vectors of $W_k$ must correspond to zeros in the $1\times n$ matrix. (Thinking)

I think I understood. Could you maybe also give me a hint about the desired $f$ at (2)? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I think I understood. Could you maybe also give me a hint about the desired $f$ at (2)? (Thinking)

How far do we get with the $\ell_k$ that we have just found? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
How far do we get with the $\ell_k$ that we have just found? (Wondering)

Do we take as $x_1 v_1+\dots+ x_n v_n$ the $w$ of (1) and then as $f_k(x_1, \dots, x_k)=0$ we consider $\ell_k (w)$ ? :confused:

evinda said:
Do we take as $x_1 v_1+\dots+ x_n v_n$ the $w$ of (1) and then as $f_k(x_1, \dots, x_k)=0$ we consider $\ell_k (w)$ ?

Yep. (Nod)

At (3) if there is no $v \in V \setminus (W_1 \cup \dots \cup W_m)$ then all elements are in a $W_i$ and then from (2) the non-zero function $f$ must be $0$ and so we get a contradiction with the assumption of (3).

Is the idea correct and complete? (Thinking)

evinda said:
At (3) if there is no $v \in V \setminus (W_1 \cup \dots \cup W_m)$ then all elements are in a $W_i$ and then from (2) the non-zero function $f$ must be $0$ and so we get a contradiction with the assumption of (3).

Is the idea correct and complete?

In (2) we only had a non-zero function $f_k$ for $W_k$.
Using that function $f_k$ and the given statement from (3), we can only conclude that there is a $v \in V \setminus W_k$ for a specific $k$, can't we? (Thinking)

What we need is that we can find a $v$ such that none of the $\ell_k(v)$ is zero.
Or equivalently that we can find a point $(a_1,...,a_n)$, such that $f_k(a_1,...,a_n) \ne 0$ for each $k$.

Can we combine all polynomials $f_k(x_1,...,x_n)$ into one polynomial such that if even one of them is zero, that the combined polynomial is also zero? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
In (2) we only had a non-zero function $f_k$ for $W_k$.
Using that function $f_k$ and the given statement from (3), we can only conclude that there is a $v \in V \setminus W_k$ for a specific $k$, can't we? (Thinking)

What we need is that we can find a $v$ such that none of the $\ell_k(v)$ is zero.
Or equivalently that we can find a point $(a_1,...,a_n)$, such that $f_k(a_1,...,a_n) \ne 0$ for each $k$.

Can we combine all polynomials $f_k(x_1,...,x_n)$ into one polynomial such that if even one of them is zero, that the combined polynomial is also zero? (Wondering)

So, we take the product of all $f_k, \ \forall k$, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, we take the product of all $f_k, \ \forall k$, right?

Indeed. (Cool)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Indeed. (Cool)

Nice, thank you... (Happy)

Related to Find Linear Mapping: Help Solving $V \setminus (W_1 \cup \cdots \cup W_m)$

What is a linear mapping?

A linear mapping is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the structure of the vector space. In other words, it is a function that takes in vectors as inputs and outputs other vectors that are related in a linear way.

What is the difference between a vector space and a linear mapping?

A vector space is a set of objects that can be added together and multiplied by scalars, while a linear mapping is a function that operates on these objects. A linear mapping can transform vectors from one vector space to another, but it is not a vector space itself.

What does "V \setminus (W_1 \cup \cdots \cup W_m)" mean?

This notation represents the set difference operation, where the elements of one set (in this case, V) are removed if they also belong to another set (in this case, the union of W1, W2, etc.). In simpler terms, it represents all the elements in V that do not belong to any of the sets W1, W2, etc.

How can I solve "V \setminus (W_1 \cup \cdots \cup W_m)"?

To solve this, you will need to find the elements in V that do not belong to any of the sets W1, W2, etc. This can be done by subtracting the elements in the union of W1, W2, etc. from the elements in V. The resulting set will be the solution to the equation.

Why is this type of problem important in science?

Linear mappings and set operations are important in science because they are used to model and solve various real-world problems. They can be used to analyze data, predict outcomes, and make decisions based on mathematical principles. Additionally, many scientific theories and equations involve vector spaces and linear transformations, making these concepts essential for understanding and advancing in various scientific fields.