Show integral is independent of time

In summary, the homework statement is that given that u(x,t) satisfies u_t-6uu_x+u_{xxx}=0 and u, u_x, u_{xx} tend to 0 as |x| → ∞, show that I_1 is independent of time. Homework equations state that I_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2dx. The Attempt at a Solution is to find a function I_1 that is equal to a constant, but this cannot be done using the equation (*). The Attempt at a Solution has involved substituting u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} into the
motherh

Homework Statement

Given that [itex] u(x,t) [/itex] satisfies [itex] u_t-6uu_x+u_{xxx}=0 [/itex] (*) and [itex] u, u_x, u_{xx} \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] |x| \to \infty [/itex] show that

[itex] I_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2dx [/itex]

is independent of time ([itex] \frac{\partial I_1}{\partial t}=0 [/itex]).

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess it would suffice to show that [itex] I_1 [/itex] is equal to some function of (only) [itex] x [/itex]. I can't think of a way to do this which involves the equation (*). My attempt so far has been to do some kind of substitution so that I integrate with respect to [itex] u [/itex] rather than [itex] x [/itex]. Something like

[itex] I_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2dx = \int_{u(-\infty,t)}^{u(\infty, t)}u^2 \frac{dx}{du} du = \int_{0}^{0} \frac{u^2}{u_x} dx = 0 [/itex]

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't seem right to me. Use Leibniz integral rule for differentiating the derivative w.r.t. time and then use the differential equation for substitution.

motherh said:

Homework Statement

Given that [itex] u(x,t) [/itex] satisfies [itex] u_t-6uu_x+u_{xxx}=0 [/itex] (*) and [itex] u, u_x, u_{xx} \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] |x| \to \infty [/itex] show that

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess it would suffice to show that [itex] I_1 [/itex] is equal to some function of (only) [itex] x [/itex]. I can't think of a way to do this which involves the equation (*). My attempt so far has been to do some kind of substitution so that I integrate with respect to [itex] u [/itex] rather than [itex] x [/itex]. Something like

[itex] I_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2dx = \int_{u(-\infty,t)}^{u(\infty, t)}u^2 \frac{dx}{du} du = \int_{0}^{0} \frac{u^2}{u_x} dx = 0 [/itex]

Am I on the right track?
As "Shyan" has already suggested, you can show that ##I_1## is a constant by showing that ##dI_1/dt = 0##.

Thanks guys.

I've given your advice a go. So far I have used Leibniz integral rule and [itex] f=u^2 [/itex]:

[itex] \frac{\partial I_1}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x,t)dx) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} uu_tdx[/itex].

Where do I go from here?

motherh said:
Thanks guys.

I've given your advice a go. So far I have used Leibniz integral rule and [itex] f=u^2 [/itex]:

[itex] \frac{\partial I_1}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x,t)dx) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} uu_tdx[/itex].

Where do I go from here?

Are you forgetting that ##u## satisfies a partial differential equation? You have all the information you need; it is just a matter of applying it.

I thought about subbing in [itex] u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} [/itex] to get

[itex] 6\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_xdx-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}uu_{xxx}dx [/itex].

I can compute the first integral to get [itex] \frac{1}{3}u^3 [/itex] evaluated at [itex] -\infty [/itex] to [itex] \infty [/itex] (so that integral is equal to 0) but I can't do anything with the second integral. I had this problem last night but decided to sleep on it - unfortunately that didn't help!

Integrate by parts!

Right, I got it thanks!

There's another part to the question, it's pretty much the same as part one but now for

[itex] I_2=\int_{-\infty)^{\infty}(u^3+\frac{1}{2}u_x^2)dx [/itex].

I got it down to

[itex] \frac{\partial I_2}{\partial t}=3\int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u^2u_tdx + \int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u_xu_{xt} [/itex].

Now subbing in [itex] u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} [/itex] and [itex] u_{tx}=6u_x^2+6u_{xx}-u_{xxxx} [/itex] gives a few difficult integrals to solve. I can do three of them but the other two I can't get past are

[itex] \int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex] and [itex] \int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u_x^3dx [/itex].

Have I made a mistake to get to this point? If not, are these integrals possible?

Right, I got it thanks!

There's another part to the question, it's pretty much the same as part one but now for

[itex] I_2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(u^3+\frac{1}{2}u_x^2)dx [/itex].

I got it down to

[itex] \frac{\partial I_2}{\partial t}=3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_xu_{xt} [/itex].

Now subbing in [itex] u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} [/itex] and [itex] u_{tx}=6u_x^2+6u_{xx}-u_{xxxx} [/itex] gives a few difficult integrals to solve. I can do three of them but the other two I can't get past are

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex] and [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_x^3dx [/itex].

Have I made a mistake to get to this point? If not, are these integrals possible?

That seems right. But you can also use [itex] u_{xt}=u_{tx} [/itex] and integrate by parts to eliminate the x derivative. Then substitute using the differential equation. But I'm stuck at the end too! My problem is I can't deal with [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u u_x u_{xx} dx [/itex]. If you prove this is zero, then its finished.

EDIT: I found it. There are two such integrals which cancel each other and give zero. This was nice!

I'm really sorry, I don't follow what you're saying. How is [itex] u_{xt} = u_{tx} [/itex] useful and what should be integrated by parts?

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u_x u_{tx}dx=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u_{xx} u_t dx [/itex].

motherh said:

I just wanted to point out that ##I_1## is actually a function of ##t## only. So, you shouldn't be using the partial derivative wrt ##t##.

You need to be careful to check what sort of function you have - especially when you're using condensed notation. It's often better to put the variable(s) in so that can see what you're doing:

[itex] I_1(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u(x, t)^2dx [/itex]

So far I have
[itex] \frac{\partial I_2}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(u^3+\frac{1}{2}u_x^2)dx = 3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_xu_{xt} = 3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_tdx [/itex]

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx = 18\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^3u_xdx-3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex].

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_tdx= -6 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_xdx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_{xxx}dx [/itex].

I can compute all of these integrals (to be 0) but not [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex]. If I can compute that integral then I'm done.

I didn't come across [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}uu_xu_{xx}dx [/itex] at all.

As PeroK noted, you should write [itex] \frac{dI_2}{dt} [/itex] because a definite integral on x of a function of x and t, is no more a function of x.
Anyway, you did it wrong! [itex] u_{xx}u_x [/itex] should be [itex] u u_{xx} u_x [/itex]. And the term you can't evaluate, can be integrated by parts to give a similar term.

I've got it! Thanks so much for all of the help, I certainly needed it!

Related to Show integral is independent of time

1. What does it mean for a show integral to be independent of time?

When a show integral is independent of time, it means that the value of the integral remains constant regardless of the time frame in which it is calculated. This indicates that the show's popularity or success is not affected by the passage of time.

2. How is the independence of time determined for a show integral?

The independence of time for a show integral is determined by analyzing the trend of the integral over a period of time. If the integral remains relatively constant or shows a consistent trend, it can be considered independent of time.

3. Why is it important for a show integral to be independent of time?

A show integral that is independent of time is a strong indicator of the show's enduring popularity and success. This can be beneficial for the show's creators, producers, and investors as it shows the potential for long-term profitability and sustainability.

4. Can a show integral become dependent on time?

Yes, a show integral can become dependent on time if the show's popularity or success changes significantly over time. This could be due to factors such as changes in audience preferences, competition from other shows, or the show's own decline in quality.

5. Are there any limitations to using show integral as a measure of success?

While show integral can be a useful metric for measuring a show's popularity, it should not be the only factor considered. Other factors such as critical acclaim, awards, and audience engagement should also be taken into account to get a more comprehensive understanding of a show's success.