Show exp(A) is invertible for a matrix A

• Thread starter chipotleaway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, we are asked to define e^A for an nxn matrix A such that A^{2013}=0 and show that it is invertible. To do this, we can first show that the function e^x has an inverse, assuming A is diagonal. We can then show that e^{sA}e^{tA}=e^{(s+t)A} using the binomial theorem. From there, we can put s=1 and t=(-1) to find an expression for (e^A)^{-1} in terms of A. Additionally, we can use induction to prove that x^n-1= (x-1)(1+ x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Define [itex]e^A=I_n+A+\frac{1}{2!}A^2+\frac{1}{3!}A^3+...+\frac{1}{2012!}A2012[/itex]
where A is an nxn matrix such that [itex]A^{2013}=0[/itex]. Show that [itex]e^A[/itex] is invertible and find an expression for [itex](e^A)^{-1}[/itex] in terms of A.

The Attempt at a Solution

To first show that it's invertible, can I just show the function [itex]e^x[/itex] has an inverse?

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

Define [itex]e^A=I_n+A+\frac{1}{2!}A^2+\frac{1}{3!}A^3+...+\frac{1}{2012!}A2012[/itex]
where A is an nxn matrix such that [itex]A^{2013}=0[/itex]. Show that [itex]e^A[/itex] is invertible and find an expression for [itex](e^A)^{-1}[/itex] in terms of A.

The Attempt at a Solution

To first show that it's invertible, can I just show the function [itex]e^x[/itex] has an inverse?

Where x is a real number? That would work fine if A were diagonal. I don't think assuming ##A^{2013}=0## makes it any easier. I would just try to show ##e^{sA}e^{tA}=e^{(s+t)A}## first. It's really just the binomial theorem. Then put s=1 and t=(-1).

Do you know that [itex]x^n- 1= (x- 1)(1+ x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^{n-1})[/itex]?

If not try proving it by induction on n. Notice that proof works for matrices as well as numbers.

Try it first for a matrix B with B^4 = 0 (to make the problem smaller): if you can do it with one where you can see all the terms in the sum and see what happens, writing down the work for your case will just require a little careful writing.

Related to Show exp(A) is invertible for a matrix A

1. How do you prove that exp(A) is invertible for a given matrix A?

To prove that exp(A) is invertible for a matrix A, we can use the fact that the exponential function is always invertible. Therefore, we can show that the matrix A is invertible by showing that exp(A) is also invertible. This can be done using various techniques, such as diagonalization or Jordan canonical form.

2. Is there a specific condition that needs to be satisfied for exp(A) to be invertible?

Yes, for exp(A) to be invertible, the matrix A must be square. This means that it must have the same number of rows and columns. In other words, A must be a square matrix.

3. Can you provide an example of a non-invertible matrix A for which exp(A) is also non-invertible?

Yes, consider the matrix A = [[0, 1], [0, 0]]. This matrix is not invertible since its determinant is 0. Therefore, exp(A) = [[1, 1], [0, 1]] is also not invertible.

4. Why is it important to show that exp(A) is invertible for a given matrix A?

Showing that exp(A) is invertible for a matrix A is important because it allows us to use the inverse of exp(A) in various calculations. This can be especially useful in applications involving differential equations, as the inverse of exp(A) can be used to solve these equations.

5. Are there any other properties of exp(A) that are related to its invertibility?

Yes, one important property is that the eigenvalues of exp(A) are equal to the exponential of the eigenvalues of A. This can also be used to show that exp(A) is invertible, as long as A has distinct eigenvalues. Additionally, the inverse of exp(A) can be written as exp(-A), which is also useful in calculations.