Show abelian group has element of order [m,n]

In summary, if G contains an element of order [m,n], then G contains an element of order [m,n]/(m,n).
TopCat
Let G be an abelian group containing elements a and b of order m and n, respectively. Show that G contains an element of order [m,n] (the LCM of m and n).

This is true when (m,n)=1, because mn(a+b) = e, and if |a+b|=h, then h|mn. Now, hm(a+b) →m|h and similarly I find that n|h. But (m,n)=1, so this implies mn|h and mn = [m,n].

Now assume that (m,n)>1 and |a+b|=h. So h(a+b)=e, which implies 1)ha=hb=e, or 2)ha=-hb. If 1), then we note that [m,n] is the smallest number divisible by both m and n, so that h=[m,n]. Now, if 2) is the case, I'm not sure how to proceed. It's trivial if h=[m,n], so we must assume h≠[m,n] and get a contradiction. This hasn't worked for me.

If instead I try and show that [m,n]|h, the best I can get is that [m,n]/(m,n) | h, since I can only use a similar argument to paragraph one with m/(m,n) and n/(m,n) since they are coprime. If I consider the case where m/(m,n) and n are coprime, the result is easy, but then what if they aren't coprime?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can do this in folloing steos:

1) If h=[m,n], then h(a+b)=0. This proves that the o(a+b) divides [m,n].
2) Prove that m divides o(a+b) and that n divides o(a+b). This will prove that [m,n] divides o(a+b)

PS: I would appreciate it if you were to follow the homework template next time.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I needed to prove the lemma m|h, n|h imply [m,n]|h.

And my apologies. I'll be sure to use the template next time.

Related to Show abelian group has element of order [m,n]

1. How do I show that an abelian group has an element of order [m,n]?

To show that an abelian group has an element of order [m,n], you can use the following steps:

• First, find an element in the group that has order m.
  • Next, find another element in the group that has order n.
  • Then, show that the product of these two elements also has order [m,n], by using the fact that the group is abelian and the properties of group orders.
  • Finally, conclude that the abelian group does indeed have an element of order [m,n].

2. Can an abelian group have more than one element of order [m,n]?

Yes, an abelian group can have more than one element of order [m,n]. In fact, there can be infinitely many elements of order [m,n] in an infinite abelian group.

3. What does it mean for an element to have order [m,n] in an abelian group?

An element having order [m,n] in an abelian group means that when this element is multiplied by itself m times, it results in the identity element of the group, and when multiplied by itself n times, it also results in the identity element. In other words, the element has both order m and n in the group.

4. Can an abelian group have an element of order 0?

No, an abelian group cannot have an element of order 0. This is because the order of an element in a group must be a positive integer, and 0 is not a positive integer.

5. What is the significance of showing that an abelian group has an element of order [m,n]?

Showing that an abelian group has an element of order [m,n] can be useful in studying the structure of the group. It can also be used to prove other theorems and properties about the group, and can provide insight into the group's properties and behavior.