Should You Add dy to the Line Integral Expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses line integrals and whether or not to include dy in an expression involving Sigma of x and y. The conclusion is that there is no real y-dependence and that the shape of the chain is given as a function of x, so y should be rearranged in terms of x.
-Vitaly-

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm writing a summary of all calculus I've learned during this term and now I'm on line integrals. I wrote this so far:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9776/algebrac.jpg
But I have Sigma of x and y (a similar expression was in my lecture notes), but there is no dy anywhere, do I need to add dy to that expression? or just treat y as a constant? (if line density is given as a function of x and y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no real y-dependence. Remember that the shape of the chain is given as some function of x. So, given x, what should y be?

Galileo said:
There is no real y-dependence. Remember that the shape of the chain is given as some function of x. So, given x, what should y be?
Oh, so just rearrange y in terms of x :D Thanks

Related to Should You Add dy to the Line Integral Expression?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that calculates the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. It is also known as a path integral or a curve integral.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral takes into account not only the function being integrated, but also the path or curve along which the integral is being calculated. This means that the value of the integral can vary depending on the path chosen.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a line integral?

Line integrals are often used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as work, flux, and circulation. They can also be used to find the length of a curve or the area under a curve.

4. How do I calculate a line integral?

The formula for a line integral depends on the type of line integral being calculated (e.g. a line integral of a scalar function or a vector function). In general, you will need to parameterize the curve or path and then integrate the function with respect to the parameter.

5. Are there any real-world applications of line integrals?

Yes, line integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path, or to determine the electric or magnetic field along a certain curve.