Should Violent Entertainment be Banned?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not violent video games, movies, and shows should be banned. A list of the most violent video games is mentioned, with some participants arguing that these games should be prohibited due to their influence on young and easily influenced individuals. Others argue that it is the responsibility of parents to monitor their children's access to these games, as they are often rated for mature audiences. The claim that violent games make people violent is also debated, with some suggesting that it is not the games themselves, but rather the existing psychological traits of the individual that contribute to violent behavior. Overall, there is no consensus on whether or not violent media should be banned, with some expressing a dislike for censorship and others arguing for stricter regulations.
courtrigrad
Hello all

Do you think that violent video games, movies, or shows should be banned?

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of curiosity, I searched for a list of the most violent video games, and found this list of November 2004:

"The five groups -- the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR), the National Council of Women's Organizations, Mothers Against Violence in America, Center for Advancement of Public Policy, Justice and Witness Ministries of the United Church of Christ and NYC Council Member Eric Gioia -- highlighted 10 video games as the worst in terms of violence (in alphabetical order): (1) Doom 3; (2) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; (3) Gunslinger Girls 2; (4) Half Life 2; (5) Halo 2; (6) Hitman: Blood Money (releases in 2005); (7) Manhunt; (8) Mortal Kombat: Deception; (9) Postal 2; and (10) Shadow Heart."

I have not played any of them, though I played Doom and Doom II, but i don't play videogames anymore. :) Certainly, very violent videogames should be prohibited, as are destined to a population (kids) that is easily influenced by the things that they experience

I do not think video games need to be banned at all. I think these moron parents need to be banned for not paying attention to their kids. All of these games have one thing in common, they are rated. Most are rated Mature(maybe all of them), meaning you have to be 17 years or older just to purchase the game. So I am not sure how these kids are getting to play these violent games, but either way I think it can come back to the parents. One question, how did these groups rate a game that has yet to even come out, because I certainly doubt that the game manufacture would give their game to such a group/s.

How many children actually commit violent acts because of mature games? I have Doom 3, and I started playing "M" rated games many years ago. Not only did I start playing violent games at an early age, but I also played them unsupervised for hours on end. I'm pacifist.

For the sake of truth, I use to hear violent music (for example Iron Maiden, Manowar,...), (and the lyrics of these groups are violent, believe me) but I don't consider that music can have so great impact as can have visual images. Though i seem to remember that some fool commited a murder because hearing a song of Judas Priest. Anyway, despite my musical tastes, I'm also a pacifist. Peace

Last edited:
I agree that banning isn't necessary. If parents are concerned, they simply should not allow such games in their home. Games are pretty expensive, so I doubt kids are able to buy them without help from their parents anyway. If you just hand the kid a credit card and don't watch what they are buying, you have more problems than just violent video games.

I also think the claims that violent games make kids violent is still up for debate. Sure, I can go along with the argument that violent kids probably play violent games and probably play a lot more violent games and proportion of violent to non-violent games than non-violent kids do. However, is it the games making them violent, or that a kid who is already violent finds those types of games more appealing than a less violent game? I would expect the latter to more likely be the case. I've never seen any well-adjusted person turn violent from playing video games, but I can imagine a very disturbed person thinking the violent games were fun and the non-violent games boring.

lol all of those games rock! they are the top selling best games of the year and many have become instant classics like doom3, hl2, gta. i don't think they should ban games, movies, or, shows at all. i hate the fcc and everything they do. look at any country other than the usa, they are allowed to curse on tv and show almost anything they like. here in the usa we are shown movies that are heavily edited and are crap compared to the original. the main reason for censorship here is because we are being run by christians who impose their religion and morals onto the rest of the country. i think they need to be stopped before all we can see on tv is preachers :devil:

Moonbear said:
I also think the claims that violent games make kids violent is still up for debate. Sure, I can go along with the argument that violent kids probably play violent games and probably play a lot more violent games and proportion of violent to non-violent games than non-violent kids do. However, is it the games making them violent, or that a kid who is already violent finds those types of games more appealing than a less violent game?

The claim that video games make people violent is total crock.

Consider: Violent people generally have similar psychological traits, in particular, anti-social personality disorder (sociopathy). Can a video game induce psychological disorders? Not likely. Will it influence language patterns? Probably. Behavoir? not likely. People as a rule learn behavoir from other people. People who are not already psychologically ill, can distinguish between real people and graphics generated from 1's and 0s.

a few months back (maybe more than a year ago), there was a story in the news about some people being murdered "over an xbox". Like 90% of the crock that comes of the news, it was total bull****. The murder was a roberry gone bad. It was stupid people who went to steal stuff from other stupid people. If it had been jewlery they were taking, would the media have claimed jewlery made people violent? Of course not. Neither did the xbox. THe media just likes a big sensational story, because it gets them ratings which gets them money. Immoral pricks.

[/rant]

You think those games are bad!

Wait till you see what the black market has to offer!

Note: When a games is too violent, the gaming industry won't let you sell it. If that happens, they slip it into the black market and let them have fun with it. I played one and let me tell you that it is insane. I'm not sure how common it is, but that list is a joke.

BTW, Eddie the mascot of Iron Maiden was the protagonist of a violent videogame called Ed Hunter
http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/pictures11b_edhunter/album11b_edhunter_a1.jpg

Violence squared!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played a few violent games, but if you say I became violent because of them I'll kick you in the freaking head. C'MON YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?

Dooga Blackrazor said:
How many children actually commit violent acts because of mature games? I have Doom 3, and I started playing "M" rated games many years ago. Not only did I start playing violent games at an early age, but I also played them unsupervised for hours on end. I'm pacifist.
I've probably been playing graphically violent video games since the original half life (yeeeaaars ago - that game rocks! Way better than #2).
I don't like to call myself a pacifist because it implies inaction while I'm simply just non-violent.

meteor said:
For the sake of truth, I use to hear violent music (for example Iron Maiden, Manowar,...), (and the lyrics of these groups are violent, believe me) but I don't consider that music can have so great impact as can have visual images. Though i seem to remember that some fool commited a murder because hearing a song of Judas Priest. Anyway, despite my musical tastes, I'm also a pacifist. Peace
:rofl: :rofl: I just had a flashback to bowling for columbine (remember the anti-marlyn manson protests!?)
i've been listening to heavy metal and hardcore rock for as long as I can remember listening to music, and as I said before, I'm very anti-violence.

There can be no doubt that kids today aren't as bothered by witnessing violence as they may have once been. but before there were violent games and violent television what happened to bring about this attitude, which in turn made the games and television. For some reason we are more casual about violence, but it can't be because of the tv and games because if it was they never would have appeared.

tribdog said:
There can be no doubt that kids today aren't as bothered by witnessing violence as they may have once been. but before there were violent games and violent television what happened to bring about this attitude, which in turn made the games and television. For some reason we are more casual about violence, but it can't be because of the tv and games because if it was they never would have appeared.

I understood, but only after some un-obfuscation.

(remember the anti-marlyn manson protests!?

Marylin Manson, the guy that seems an apparition?
http://www.chru-lille.fr/ecoliers_hopital/images/Image171.gif

I can't stand this dude, it makes me very nervous. I usually can't hear any music of people that I don't like their aspect, though I can make exceptions, but this person has a very horrible image, I know that he has had many controversies caused by the violence in his lyrics. For example in the song "Get your gunn" he sings:

"Goddamn your righteous hand
I eat innocent meat
The housewife I will beat
The prolife I will kill"

I just had a flashback to bowling for columbine
He was accused as a cause of the shootings at Columbine, and then he canceled the tour that was performing. I know that he's not a moron, he's for example a watercolor painter.
I think that he could be a good actor in a horror film

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmns said:
I do not think video games need to be banned at all. I think these moron parents need to be banned for not paying attention to their kids. All of these games have one thing in common, they are rated. Most are rated Mature(maybe all of them), meaning you have to be 17 years or older just to purchase the game. So I am not sure how these kids are getting to play these violent games, but either way I think it can come back to the parents. One question, how did these groups rate a game that has yet to even come out, because I certainly doubt that the game manufacture would give their game to such a group/s.

I have a friend who works at best buy who related this story to us:

Woman comes into the store and says her son asked her to pick up Halo 2 from the store for him while he was at school.

Note: Who the hell does that as a parent? With my parents the standard answer has always been: Birthday or christmas list. And that was the end of the discussion, there was no other way we were getting that game, or whatever else it might have been. Period.

Next she asks him if that game would be appropraite for her son. So he asks her what other kinds of games her son plays. Her answers: GTA3, DOOM 3, GTA Vice City...

Presumably since the parent was buying this the kid was not old enough to get it on his own. Further, the parent obviously has no idea what the subject in those games are, if she did she would most definitely not be concerned about Halo 2. In Vice City its possible to steal a helicopter, go to the top of a tall building, sit with a sniper rifle and pick off civilians. The moment i figured that out, i refused to ever play that game again. you can also hire hookers, and then kill them afterwards to get your money back.

My point is that this woman should be jailed for irresponsibility, on several levels. well, two levels anyway.

franznietzsche said:
I have a friend who works at best buy who related this story to us:

Woman comes into the store and says her son asked her to pick up Halo 2 from the store for him while he was at school.

Note: Who the hell does that as a parent? With my parents the standard answer has always been: Birthday or christmas list. And that was the end of the discussion, there was no other way we were getting that game, or whatever else it might have been. Period.

Next she asks him if that game would be appropraite for her son. So he asks her what other kinds of games her son plays. Her answers: GTA3, DOOM 3, GTA Vice City...

Presumably since the parent was buying this the kid was not old enough to get it on his own. Further, the parent obviously has no idea what the subject in those games are, if she did she would most definitely not be concerned about Halo 2. In Vice City its possible to steal a helicopter, go to the top of a tall building, sit with a sniper rifle and pick off civilians. The moment i figured that out, i refused to ever play that game again. you can also hire hookers, and then kill them afterwards to get your money back.

My point is that this woman should be jailed for irresponsibility, on several levels. well, two levels anyway.

I LOVE VICE CITY!

I wish they had a kill count because that would make it ten times better.

I hope San Andreas is just as good or better (with a kill count).

JasonRox said:
I LOVE VICE CITY!

I wish they had a kill count because that would make it ten times better.

I hope San Andreas is just as good or better (with a kill count).

For some reason, I'm not surprised.

If it wasn't for the sniping thing, the rest of the game didn't bother me. But i discovered that about the same time as the washington sniper incidents a few years back. yeah. I still refuse to play that game.

franznietzsche said:
For some reason, I'm not surprised.

If it wasn't for the sniping thing, the rest of the game didn't bother me. But i discovered that about the same time as the washington sniper incidents a few years back. yeah. I still refuse to play that game.

Refuse? It's not like you'll go insane although some people will, but those people normally don't have control of their own brain.

To be honest, I love hockey games way better!

HOC-KEY!

JasonRox said:
Refuse? It's not like you'll go insane although some people will, but those people normally don't have control of their own brain.

To be honest, I love hockey games way better!

HOC-KEY!

HOC-KEY!

Great game.

No, I'm not worried about going insane, I'm just thoroughly disgusted by it. If you put a gun to my head, i'll play it. But i have no desire to whatsoever. And i like shooters in general.

Vice City was cool, San Andreas is even better. I rarely kill people with a sniper on either, its just not that fun to kill defenseless people. Personally on SA I usually just ride the bmx bike around trying to do tricks. Hockey games are good too, and I do not watch hockey or play it. Tiger woods is one of my favorite sports games.

Back on topic for a second. I agree with whoever said that TV should not be censored, and I think maybe within the next 20 years it will happen. Only reason it is not happening now is because all the parents live in la la land and grew up in the 50s and 60s. I have heard things at school that are much worse than what would be on tv. Maybe back in the day kids did not cuss, but that is certainly not the case today.

mattmns said:
Hockey games are good too, and I do not watch hockey or play it.

Used to play it--i like to think i was a decent goalie, but that might just be me who thinks that--love to go to games, but i don't usually follow the season. Or in this year's case, lack thereof. Haven't played a hockey video game since the NES though.

franznietzsche said:
Used to play it--i like to think i was a decent goalie, but that might just be me who thinks that--love to go to games, but i don't usually follow the season. Or in this year's case, lack thereof. Haven't played a hockey video game since the NES though.

Hockey games are getting better and better.

It's kind of sad where society is heading, but we can't blame television. I would personally monitor my kids viewing even if it is hard. You pretty much control what your kid may get into. If you bring him up with "freedom", he will act like he has "freedom" when he's older.

I would like to have 2 kids. A smart nerdy kid, and a athletic hockey player, which is pretty much every Canadians dream. :biggrin:

Playing an ultraviolent game is one of the symptoms of a disturbed personality, it's not the cause. If people find comfort in these games taking them away doesn't solve anything. You have to get to the root of the problem.

Violent games serve as an vent for all your feelings (like beating up your boss/bully). Instead of beating people up in real life you can imagine one of the people in these games to be your maths teacher who used to dish out homework after homework and shoot her/him with 10000000000000000 bullets, or hit them with the car

Last edited:
FulhamFan3 said:
You have to get to the root of the problem.

Since when has anyone normal american ever been concerned with the root of the problem? Its a prozac life buddy.

1. What impact does violent entertainment have on society?

There is a lot of debate surrounding the effects of violent entertainment on society. Some studies suggest that exposure to violent media can increase aggressive thoughts and behaviors, while others argue that there is no conclusive evidence to support this claim. Ultimately, the impact of violent entertainment on society is complex and multifaceted, and more research is needed to fully understand its effects.

2. Is there a link between violent entertainment and real-life violence?

This is a highly controversial topic, and there is no clear consensus among researchers. Some studies have found a correlation between exposure to violent media and aggressive behavior, while others have not. It is important to note that correlation does not necessarily mean causation, and there are many other factors that could contribute to real-life violence.

3. Should violent entertainment be banned for children?

Many experts agree that young children should not be exposed to violent entertainment, as it can be harmful to their development. However, opinions differ on whether or not violent entertainment should be completely banned for children. Some argue that it is the responsibility of parents to monitor their children's media consumption, while others believe that stricter regulations should be put in place to limit access to violent content.

4. How does censorship of violent entertainment affect freedom of speech?

Censorship of violent entertainment is a contentious issue, as it raises questions about freedom of speech and artistic expression. While it is important to protect the right to free speech, many argue that there should be limits when it comes to promoting violence and harm. Striking a balance between these two principles is a complex and ongoing debate.

5. Are there other ways to address the issue of violence in society besides banning violent entertainment?

While banning violent entertainment is often seen as the solution to reducing violence in society, there are other approaches that can be taken. These include education and awareness programs, stricter gun control laws, and addressing underlying social and economic issues that contribute to violence. It is important to consider a range of solutions rather than relying solely on censorship.