Should i take intro solid state phy without background of quantum phy?

In summary, it is possible to take an undergraduate solid state course without having taken the Quantum that precedes it in the series. However, you will likely have to work a little harder than those that have some quantum background.
nelsontai
I do not know anything about quantum physics, but due to some timetable clashes i hv to take intro solid state and intro quantum phy in the same semester.

One advisor said its ok and he said intro solid state phy is only abt memorizing crystal, but another advisor said it would be tough without knowledge of quantum?i am confused.

The syllabus is:
Crystal structures and symmetry. The reciprocal lattice and X-ray diffraction in crystals. Lattice vibrations. Free-electron theory of metals. Energy bands; metals, semiconductors, and insulators. Dielectric and magnetic properties.

So should i take it?( i have taken statistical mechanics before)

Physics news on Phys.org
You should ask the professor who is teaching the course.

Also if you can't get in touch with the professor, take a look at previous years homework and tests.

I'm currently taking an undergraduate solid state course without having taken the Quantum that precedes it in the series. You may have to work a little harder than those that have some quantum background but you should be fine. Solid State is very interdisciplinary, having a background in thermodynamics, statiscial mechanics and classical mechanics will probably be more valuble than Quantum.

QM is the prerequisite for the Intro. to Solid State course at my university. I wanted to take it this semester but couldn't. A couple of buddies of mine are, though. I think the course takes the ODE QM approach.

Crystal structures and symmetry. The reciprocal lattice and X-ray diffraction in crystals. Lattice vibrations. Free-electron theory of metals. Energy bands; metals, semiconductors, and insulators. Dielectric and magnetic properties.

You might be able to get by, if this is the order in which things are covered. Crystal structures you don't rely on quantum mechanics, nor does reciprocal lattice and x-ray scattering. Lattice vibrations is where things will get tricky, to understand phonons, you'll need to understand the energy levels of a harmonic oscillator. The free-electron theory of metals requires some quantum mechanics, but if you are willing to take the Pauli-Exclusion principle on faith, you'll be fine. Energy bands, though, requires some understanding of the Schroedinger equation.

If you end up trying, pick up an introductory book on quantum mechanics to use as a reference.

Jimbone said:
You may have to work a little harder than those that have some quantum background but you should be fine.

This is terrible, terrible advice. Unless you are taking the same courses at the same university from the same professors, you don't know this. I've seen curricula where the OP would be in great shape, and I've seen curricula where the OP would get squashed like a bug. To decide which is which, we would need to know what exactly is covered in the two classes, and we don't.

But the professor does.

This is terrible, terrible advice. Unless you are taking the same courses at the same university from the same professors, you don't know this.

These are nearly exactly the topics I've covered this quarter, I've never taken quantum, I'm expecting an A. The other students who've taken quantum spend the same amount of time on homework I do. Undergraduate Intro to Solid should be a pretty standard curriculum. The book for your class is probably Omar or Kittel both of which are very do-able for me especially
within the topics you've listed.

Having said that, If it won't delay your graduation taking quantum first I'm sure would help. But if you want to and they'll let you I'd take it, if you're in over your head you can always drop.

Related to Should i take intro solid state phy without background of quantum phy?

1. Should I take intro solid state phy without background of quantum phy?

It is not recommended to take intro solid state physics without a background in quantum physics. Solid state physics heavily relies on the concepts and principles of quantum physics, and it will be difficult to understand the material without prior knowledge of it. It is best to take a course in quantum physics before attempting solid state physics.

2. What topics are covered in intro solid state phy?

Intro solid state physics typically covers the fundamentals of solid state matter, including crystal structures, band theory, and semiconductor physics. It also touches upon topics such as magnetism, superconductivity, and nanotechnology.

3. Is solid state phy a difficult subject?

Solid state physics can be challenging, especially for those without a strong background in physics and mathematics. It involves complex concepts and mathematical equations, so it is important to have a strong foundation in these areas before taking the course.

4. What can I do to prepare for intro solid state phy?

To prepare for intro solid state physics, it is recommended to have a good understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. You can also review basic mathematical concepts such as calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the basics of solid state physics through online resources or textbooks can also be helpful.

5. What are the career opportunities for someone with a background in solid state phy?

A background in solid state physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as working in the semiconductor industry, material science, or research and development. It can also be a valuable foundation for pursuing graduate studies in physics or engineering.