Should I take solid state physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking a solid state physics class at the undergraduate level. The speaker mentions they have a decent grasp of quantum mechanics and asks for advice on what topics from quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics would be useful to review before starting the course. The other person recommends being familiar with the Fermi-Dirac distribution, knowing what the Schrodinger equation is, and being able to solve it for a particle in a 1-D well. They also note that solid state physics is an interesting class and does not require extensive mathematical skills, but rather focuses on learning how to think about solids.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member
I am an undergrad and for the most part I am looking for a good physics class to take. I am considering taking solid state physics at the level of Kittel as its one of the only physics classes offered at the undergrad level this semester that I haven't taken. I haven't taken quantum mechanics yet (it's not offered this semester), but I have a decent grasp of it from self-study. I mention this because quantum is a prereq. What things from quantum should I be solid with for studying solid state physics? Also, do you think solid state is interesting? I'm not really taking this class for research interests or anything, just to further my general knowledge of physics. I plan to talk to the professor about all this, but I am still curious of your opinions. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solid-State Physics (and the Kittel text) are incredibly interesting. One of my favorite classes. Even though solid-state physics is built on a foundation of QM, most of the math you use to solve problems is statistical mechanics and the rest is typically developed in the course. When I took it QM was used to develop the idea of quantum states in a periodic lattice, but after that explicit QM wasn't used much.

My guess is you'll do fine if you're at least familiar with QM, but yeah, ask the professor.

Likes 1 person
Solid State Physics is very worth it. It was my favorite class next to statistical mechanics; it is a class which is not about math and number crunching, but more about learning how to think about solids, much like statistical mechanics is a class about learning how to think about large systems. You learn something new every time.

You need to know how to solve for a particle in a 1-D well and know what the Schrodinger equation is though.

Likes 1 person
Thanks very much for the replies! I decided to enroll in the course but it doesn't start for a few days. What things from QM, stat mech, etc do you think it would be useful to review before the course starts?

Particle in a box. That is usually how they start in solid-state.

1. Fermi-Dirac distribution
2. Know what the Schrodinger equation is
3. Know how to solve it for a particle in a 1-D well.

Related to Should I take solid state physics?

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solid materials, such as crystals, semiconductors, and metals. It focuses on understanding the behavior of electrons, atoms, and molecules in these materials and how they interact with each other.

2. Why should I take solid state physics?

Taking solid state physics can provide a deep understanding of the fundamental principles behind many modern technologies, such as transistors, computer chips, and solar cells. It also has applications in fields such as materials science, engineering, and nanotechnology.

3. Is solid state physics a difficult subject?

Solid state physics can be a challenging subject due to its complex mathematical and theoretical concepts. However, with dedication and effort, it can be a rewarding and fascinating field of study.

4. What are the career opportunities in solid state physics?

A degree in solid state physics can lead to various career opportunities in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, renewable energy, and materials research. It can also open up opportunities in academia and government research institutions.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking solid state physics?

Solid state physics typically requires a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. Some knowledge of quantum mechanics and thermodynamics may also be helpful.