Should I take Combinatorics or Abstract Algebra?

In summary, for a senior student double majoring in computer science and mathematics with the intention of pursuing a Ph.D. in theoretical computer science, taking the "Combinatorial Methods and Design" course in the upcoming winter semester would be more relevant. While "Computer Algebra" is also important, its applications are more geared towards numerical computations and algebraic manipulations rather than the fundamental topics in theoretical computer science.
Msh1
I am a senior student double majoring in computer science and mathematics with the intention
of getting a p.h.d in theoretical computer science(either computational complexity or applied discrete mathematics). for the upcoming winter semester I can take 1 math course. The ones that are related to computer science are titled "Combinatorial Methods and Design" and "Computer Algebra", both of which are advanced level courses.
I have taken the following math course beyond Calculus and Linear Algebra(ODE's, Intro to Topology, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra I and II, Intro to Graph Theory, Introduction to Combinatorics, PDE's, Algebraic Geometry)

So has anyone taken any course similar to these two? Which one do you is more relevant to theoretical computer science.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend taking the course "Combinatorial Methods and Design", as it is more relevant to theoretical computer science. Combinatorics is a fundamental topic in theoretical computer science, and it can be used to solve many problems related to algorithms, complexity theory, and graph theory. Computer algebra is also a useful tool for theoretical computer science, but its applications are more focused on numerical computations and algebraic manipulations.

Related to Should I take Combinatorics or Abstract Algebra?

1. Should I take Combinatorics or Abstract Algebra?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Combinatorics focuses on counting and organizing objects, while Abstract Algebra deals with the structure and properties of algebraic systems. If you are interested in computer science, coding, or data analysis, Combinatorics may be more applicable. However, if you are interested in pure mathematics or pursuing a career in academia, Abstract Algebra may be a better choice.

2. Is one subject more difficult than the other?

Both Combinatorics and Abstract Algebra can be challenging in their own ways. Combinatorics may involve more mathematical proofs and logical reasoning, while Abstract Algebra may require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and symbols. It is important to review the course syllabus and speak with the instructor to get a better understanding of the difficulty level.

3. Can I take both courses at the same time?

It is possible to take both Combinatorics and Abstract Algebra at the same time, but it may be overwhelming for some students. These courses require a lot of time and effort, so it is important to consider your workload and other commitments before enrolling in both courses simultaneously.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to take these courses?

A strong foundation in math is recommended for both Combinatorics and Abstract Algebra. It is important to have a solid understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before taking these courses. However, some universities may offer introductory courses to help students prepare for these advanced subjects.

5. How can I decide which course is right for me?

It is always helpful to speak with a professor or academic advisor for guidance in choosing a course. You can also research the course curriculum and topics covered to see which subject aligns more with your interests and career goals. Additionally, you can attend the first few classes of each course to get a better understanding of the material and teaching style.