Should I study Varation Calculus over the summer for classical mech class?

In summary, studying calculus of variation before taking an upper tier physics class in Analytical Mechanics may provide some insight into the field, but it is not necessary as the material is typically covered in the course. It may be more beneficial to focus on practicing problems in lagrangian mechanics instead.
xdrgnh
I'm taking my first upper tier physics class in fall 2012 Analytical Mechanics. I know that the calculus of variation is fundamental to understanding the Lagrangian and because this will be the only classical mechanics class I will take in my undergrad I want to understand it well. Do you think I will gain a lot more insight into the field if a I study on my own calculus of variation?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey xdrgnh,
Classical mechanics courses typically teach the required material from variational calculus in the first part of the class. You would certainly be a bit better off from knowing it ahead of time, but the actual mathematics is not particularly complex, and most of the difficulty will come from applying it to physics problems. A better approach in my opinion (if you want to do stuff ahead of time) is to just pick up a book on lagrangian mechanics and do problems in it.

Related to Should I study Varation Calculus over the summer for classical mech class?

1. Should I study Variation Calculus over the summer for classical mech class?

It depends on your goals and current understanding of classical mechanics. If you are struggling with the subject or want to get a head start for the upcoming class, then studying Variation Calculus over the summer may be beneficial. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of classical mechanics and do not have the time or resources to study Variation Calculus, it may not be necessary.

2. What is Variation Calculus?

Variation Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal values of a function by considering all possible variations. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving optimization and minimizing certain quantities.

3. How will studying Variation Calculus help me in a classical mechanics class?

Studying Variation Calculus can provide a deeper understanding of classical mechanics by allowing you to approach problems from a different perspective. It can also help you to solve more complex problems and improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Is studying Variation Calculus difficult?

Like any branch of mathematics, studying Variation Calculus can be challenging. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of calculus before delving into Variation Calculus.

5. Are there any resources available to help me study Variation Calculus?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you study Variation Calculus. You can find textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to aid in your understanding. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or professor if you are struggling with the material.