Should I Skip High School Physics and Take AP Physics Instead?

In summary: My goal is to major in physics and possibly go into graduate school. I have a feeling that I would do better in graduate school than I would in college, but I'm not sure. I think I should take the AP course regardless of my ability because I feel like I would benefit from the extra challenge.In summary, it is possible to do well in AP physics without taking a regular high school physics course, but it is also possible to benefit from taking the class if you are struggling with more advanced material.
Radarithm
Gold Member
Hey all.

I'm a high school freshman; so I'm not exactly 'wise' when it comes to education. I've been self teaching myself physics over the last couple of months from Sears and Zemansky's University Physics, 12th edition, and although I started out very badly, I now have a very good grasp over the contents that are required for AP Physics; I am thinking of skipping the normal high school physics course and taking AP Physics BC (or I and II because of the curriculum change) in my sophomore year. Is it worth skipping high school physics? Or should I take the class regardless of whether or not I am good enough to take the AP version of the course? I feel like the standard course has nothing of importance to offer me, and I feel very confident about taking the exam this May. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section; this section is for Which college and degree? Grad school and PhD help, but I found no other sub-forum that would suit this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy to get in over your head by skipping things - even if you "test out" of them.

It is entirely possible that you won't find much of a challenge with your regular physics course if you're reading ahead. This can be rather common. But on the other hand if you take the class, you may find that you don't understand things as well as you believe, or you may learn things that aren't covered explicitly in your textbook, or that you didn't think were all that important. By skipping the class, you might miss this stuff and then when you're struggling with a more advanced course, you may end up hating the subject.

Talk to your teachers about this. They will likely have some good insight because they will know what the outcomes have been for students similar to yourself who have gone either way.

Take it, you seem very much ahead of where most are at your age. If you have no trouble with University physics you should do very well in AP physics as they are at roughly the same level.

I talked to some teachers and they recommended that I take AP Physics I next year.
Thanks for the advice.

I would highly recommend that you take the AP Physics course instead of skipping high school physics. While it is impressive that you have been self-teaching yourself physics and have a good grasp of the material, there is still a lot to gain from taking a formal high school physics course.

Firstly, high school physics is not just about learning the content, but also about developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills are crucial for success in any scientific field and are best developed through hands-on experiments and discussions with peers and teachers, which may not be possible through self-teaching.

Secondly, the AP Physics course covers a broader and more advanced curriculum than the standard high school course. This will not only deepen your understanding of physics but also prepare you for college-level courses.

Additionally, taking the AP Physics course and performing well on the exam can also earn you college credit, which can save you time and money in the long run.

In summary, while your self-teaching efforts are commendable, I would advise against skipping high school physics and instead suggest taking the AP course to fully develop your skills and knowledge in physics. Good luck!

Related to Should I Skip High School Physics and Take AP Physics Instead?

1. What is "skipping regular physics"?

"Skipping regular physics" refers to the practice of skipping introductory or basic physics courses and jumping straight into more advanced or specialized topics.

2. Why would someone choose to skip regular physics?

Some individuals may choose to skip regular physics if they have already taken a similar course in high school or have a strong background in math and science. Others may skip regular physics if they are pursuing a specific field of study that does not require a broad understanding of general physics concepts.

3. Is it recommended to skip regular physics?

It depends on the individual's goals and circumstances. Skipping regular physics may be beneficial for those who have a strong foundation in math and science and want to focus on more advanced topics. However, it may not be recommended for those who need a comprehensive understanding of basic physics principles for their chosen field of study.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to skipping regular physics?

One potential drawback is that skipping regular physics may result in knowledge gaps or a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts that may be important in more advanced topics. It may also make it more challenging to transition into certain fields or courses that require a strong foundation in general physics.

5. How can someone prepare for skipping regular physics?

If someone is considering skipping regular physics, it may be helpful to review basic physics concepts and principles on their own or through online resources. They can also speak with an academic advisor or professor to discuss their goals and determine if skipping regular physics is the best decision for them.