Should I pursue this skill? (becoming a mechanical engineer)

You have a strong interest in math and science and are already gaining some experience in the field by working as a mechanic. While it may seem like a big goal, becoming a mechanical engineer and working for a company like NASA or Lockheed Martin is a realistic possibility. However, there are also many other opportunities in the field that may interest you. My advice is to pursue your passion for mechanical engineering and see where it takes you. Don't let others discourage you from following your dreams.
Angel Flores
By my question I mean is this something that I should realistically consider a goal? A little about me, I'm currently a Senior in high school, well, at least I'm about to be because the school year hasn't begun yet. I'm really considering becoming a mechanical engineer because I love math and science and love building things. Right now I'm working as a mechanic, in hopes that I'll get somewhat used to the environment of learning how mechanical things work. Hopefully that makes sense... I want to someday hopefully find a job working as in engineer in somewhere like NASA, Lockheed Martin, Space X, etc, or some car manufacturers. I know it doesn't sound very realistic but at least I have some sort of goal to look forward to. Is this something I can realistically look forward to or should I pursue something different? I want to know the opinion of someone on this forum rather than the opinion of unsupportive parents you know. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Angel Flores said:
By my question I mean is this something that I should realistically consider a goal? A little about me, I'm currently a Senior in high school, well, at least I'm about to be because the school year hasn't begun yet. I'm really considering becoming a mechanical engineer because I love math and science and love building things. Right now I'm working as a mechanic, in hopes that I'll get somewhat used to the environment of learning how mechanical things work. Hopefully that makes sense... I want to someday hopefully find a job working as in engineer in somewhere like NASA, Lockheed Martin, Space X, etc, or some car manufacturers. I know it doesn't sound very realistic but at least I have some sort of goal to look forward to. Is this something I can realistically look forward to or should I pursue something different? I want to know the opinion of someone on this forum rather than the opinion of unsupportive parents you know. Thanks.
What's the problem? Are your grades OK? Why do you feel that your plan is unrealistic?

Likes russ_watters
My grades in Junior year weren't too great, although my math and science ones were. I'm going to be trying my hardest in this upcoming senior year, but the reason it seems unrealistic is the goal of being able to work at a space company, that's more of a goal than working with a car manufacturer. Although, when I consult it with people they claim I should go to college for something I can get a job sooner with, if I try to go for that goal clearly I will have to devote lots of time and practice before even applying and won't get anything good in the meantime, so I want to know any opinions on these forums.

There are many areas of work that you are likely to find interesting and rewarding as a mechanical engineer besides aerospace. My advice is to just become a mechanical engineer and see where it takes you.

Likes russ_watters, mfb, Nidum and 1 other person
Angel Flores said:
There is nothing wrong with these aspirations. Based on where you are now, they are completely achievable.

Likes Angel Flores, StatGuy2000 and Nidum

Related to Should I pursue this skill? (becoming a mechanical engineer)

1. What is the job outlook for mechanical engineers?

The job outlook for mechanical engineers is positive, with an expected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029. This is about average compared to other occupations. Mechanical engineers are needed in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace.

2. What skills do I need to become a successful mechanical engineer?

To become a successful mechanical engineer, you will need a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, being detail-oriented, having good communication skills, and being able to work well in a team are important qualities for a mechanical engineer.

3. Is a degree required to become a mechanical engineer?

While a degree is not always required, it is highly recommended to have at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. This will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to be successful in this career. Some positions may also require a master's degree or higher.

4. What are the potential salary and benefits for a mechanical engineer?

The average salary for a mechanical engineer in the United States is around $88,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on your level of education, experience, and specific industry. Many companies also offer benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off.

5. How can I gain experience in mechanical engineering?

One way to gain experience in mechanical engineering is through internships or co-op programs while in college. These opportunities allow you to work in a professional setting and apply your knowledge to real-world projects. You can also participate in extracurricular activities, such as robotics clubs or engineering competitions, to gain hands-on experience.