Should I leave my car unlock next year? VOTE

• Thread starter Flat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Year
In summary: I would rather not chance it.Leaving your car unlocked was company policy where my step-dad used to work. It was effective, I guess.

Should I leave my car unlocked?

• YES - Leave it unlocked

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • NO - Lock it up

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
BobG said:
Actually, I did a simple test last night that should provide some insight. I don't have any doors or windows on my Jeep right now. I left a 28" TV sitting in the back of the Jeep in plain sight. This morning, I'll see if anyone stole it.

(Oh, please, please steal that damn thing. I took it to a recycle center here in town, but they won't accept anything larger than 19". Now I have to call around and try to find someplace in town that will take this damn thing.)

I don't know where you live, but that TV would be gone before you can look around where I live. For example if you ride a bicycle, it WILL be stolen within a week. Period.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lock it. There are vandals who will just wander about parking lots occasionally giving a car door handle a pull. If an alarm goes off or it's locked, they keep walking. If the door opens, they've just found a car to take on a joyride. Even if you keep nothing valuable in the car, the car itself is valuable. If you keep nothing of value in sight, vandals have less reason to want to risk being noticed breaking into your car compared to one with a fancy stereo or other valuables left out on the seat, but if you don't bother locking it, even the crappy factory-installed radio is worth something to them when it's easy pickings.

The exception is if you have a vehicle that's super-easy to break into anyway...like a canvas-topped convertible or a jeep with the plastic windows they'll just slash through with a knife without anyone hearing a thing. Shattering glass gets people's attention, however.

BobG said:
Actually, I did a simple test last night that should provide some insight. I don't have any doors or windows on my Jeep right now. I left a 28" TV sitting in the back of the Jeep in plain sight. This morning, I'll see if anyone stole it.

(Oh, please, please steal that damn thing. I took it to a recycle center here in town, but they won't accept anything larger than 19". Now I have to call around and try to find someplace in town that will take this damn thing.)

:smile: It sucks when you can't even get someone to steal a TV. Same for when you have an old car that costs more in repair bills every month and the car dealer just laughs when you inquire about a trade-in. THAT is when you want to leave the car unlocked and don't even bother reporting it to your insurance if it's stolen.

Hey Moonbear, are you back?

Start a thread and tell us all about your trip. :-p

No one fell for it and my TV was still sitting in the back of the Jeep this morning. Do you think it's too obvious?

Put a "for sale" sign on it...

Stick it out at the curb the night before trash collection with a sign that says "free" on it. I've gotten rid of all sorts of stuff that the trash collectors would have refused to haul away without paying extra. There are plenty of garage sale junkies who can't resist something sitting out for free.

It would be fun to install a hidden GPS transmitter inside the car and then let it be stolen. Then you track the car to see where it ends up.

Up here, the police plant 'bait' cars in parking lots and on the street. They're the kinds most likely to be broken into and/or stolen, such as Mercedes or high-ticket rice rockets. Then they set up surveillance teams in the area. The cars are equipped with both tracking devices and remote control engine disablers. You wouldn't believe how many idiots they catch with those things.

I think that could be considered entrapment in the U.S.

Why don't you just go to a police station and ask them this question... :rolleyes:

I mean, really. I think they might be able to help you out here better than any of us can.

Redbelly98 said:
I think that could be considered entrapment in the U.S.

I'm not all that up on US law, but I doubt that. I think that in order for 'entrapment' to be implemented, one has to actively entice the target to perform a criminal act.

Count Iblis said:
It would be fun to install a hidden GPS transmitter inside the car and then let it be stolen. Then you track the car to see where it ends up.

It's called low jack. The police helicopters can follow your stolen car if it has it.

is it a big deal to lock your tank …uh I mean car:biggrin:

If that last question was directed at me, I don't have even a latch, never mind a lock, on the rear window of my topper. You just lift it up, pop the main latch, and drop the tailgate. There's nothing in there to steal, though, and no access to the cab other than through the slider. I also keep the thing in low-range when parked, so anybody who manages to overcome the standard GM steering column lock to steal the thing can't drive over 30 mph. It wouldn't take long to catch them. Besides, this is Danny Danger's car. They know that if I catch them, I'll make them wish that they were dead.

sorry Danger, I meant the OP, I should’ve quoted it

No problem; I do that all of the time as well. That's why I have to do so much editing afterward.
The only reason that I suspected that you might be asking me was because of the term 'tank'. My cousin's son didn't know about my vehicle (he was in his mid 30's at the time), and I showed up at her place for a holiday supper. He announced that I was there as soon as I pulled into the driveway. She asked him how he could possibly know that it was me, and he responded that it was either me or Mad Max, and I'm not fictional. :biggrin:

Here is a copy of a previous post that points out the reasoning behind his conclusion.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=121506&highlight=el+camino"

Last edited by a moderator: