Should I Consider Taking AP Chemistry for a Future in Paleontology or Biology?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's interest in pursuing a major in either paleontology or biology in college. The student is considering taking AP chemistry in order to prepare for these majors, but has reservations about the difficulty of the course and the teacher's quality. They are currently self-studying for AP chemistry using a recommended textbook.
chez_butt23
I am a junior in high school with a 4.1 GPA. I am seriously considering either paleontology or some kind of biology as a major in college. I have read that as a future science major, I should take as many science courses as possible in high school.

I know I will need to use chemistry in either of the majors listed above, and I am wondering if I should take AP chemistry. My reservations are that I do not know if the teacher is any good and I have heard that the AP Chem test is the hardest of all the AP tests. I also do not truly enjoy chemistry, but am willing to suffer through it for other sciences.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am self-studying AP Chem this year. If you decide to do it, I strongly recommend Linus Pauling's book "General Chemistry". It covers tons of stuff that is definitely not on the exam and is a bit out of date, but the quality is simply superb.

I would highly recommend taking AP Chemistry if you are considering a future in paleontology or biology. While it may not be your favorite subject, it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry for both of these fields. Additionally, taking challenging courses like AP Chemistry can demonstrate your dedication and ability to handle rigorous coursework to potential colleges and employers.

I understand your reservations about the teacher and the difficulty of the AP Chemistry test, but I would encourage you to reach out to students who have taken the class before and get their feedback on the teacher's teaching style and the course material. It is also important to remember that with hard work and determination, you can succeed in any class, even if it is challenging.

In terms of the AP Chemistry test being the hardest of all the AP tests, I would say that it is subjective and varies from person to person. It ultimately depends on your strengths and weaknesses and how well you prepare for the test. If you are truly passionate about pursuing a career in science, then the AP Chemistry test should not deter you from taking the course.

Overall, I believe taking AP Chemistry will be beneficial for your future academic and career goals. It will provide you with a strong foundation in chemistry and showcase your dedication to the sciences. I would suggest discussing your concerns with your guidance counselor and seeking advice from current students or professionals in the fields you are interested in to help make your decision. Good luck!

Related to Should I Consider Taking AP Chemistry for a Future in Paleontology or Biology?

1. Should I take AP Chemistry if I'm not planning to major in a science-related field?

Yes, taking AP Chemistry can still be beneficial even if you do not plan to major in a science-related field. It can help improve your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are valuable in any field. Additionally, many colleges and universities look favorably upon students who have taken challenging courses, such as AP Chemistry, regardless of their intended major.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking AP Chemistry?

The prerequisites for AP Chemistry vary by school, but generally, students should have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and basic chemistry concepts. Some schools may also require students to have taken a high school chemistry course before enrolling in AP Chemistry.

3. How difficult is AP Chemistry compared to other AP science courses?

The difficulty of AP Chemistry can vary for each individual student. However, in general, AP Chemistry is considered to be one of the more challenging AP science courses, along with AP Physics and AP Biology. It covers a wide range of topics and requires a strong understanding of math and chemistry concepts.

4. What are the benefits of taking AP Chemistry?

Taking AP Chemistry can have many benefits, including preparing you for college-level science courses, improving your problem-solving skills, and potentially earning college credit or advanced placement in college. It can also demonstrate to colleges and universities that you are willing to challenge yourself and have a strong academic background.

5. How should I prepare for AP Chemistry?

To prepare for AP Chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and basic chemistry concepts. It can also be helpful to review material from a high school chemistry course if you have taken one. Additionally, you can find study resources, such as review books or online practice tests, to help familiarize yourself with the content and format of the AP Chemistry exam.