Should I Choose Engineering or Physics for My Major?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling to choose between pursuing a degree in engineering or physics. They express interest in physics due to its focus on solving mysteries of the universe, but are concerned about the job market for physics majors. They ask for advice on whether a physics degree is worth it and if they can go to grad school in physics with an engineering degree. The suggestion is made to look into medical physics as a potential career path.
Kal-El
Hello I am a sophomore at Penn State currently in Aerospace engineering. I am stuck between engineering and physics like so many people out there. I have taken engineering classes and it seems a little boring. At least at my school engineering has been displayed as the conceptual development of the discoveries made by scientist from which engineers computer design/draw new developing technologies and solve mathematical problems with said design or improve said design with mathematical and problem solving skills. I love physics or the idea of what physics tries to solve, mysteries of the universe, black wholes, how it all works. I have a lot of books on physics concepts and find them interesting, even have some conceptual ideas on my own but the problem with a physics degree at least at undergrad level is the job market. engineering has a job market while from what I heard from my adviser/ science teachers, physics has none. A lot of people are telling me a physics degree isn't worth it.
Can you go on to grad school in physics with a engineering degree, if so which engineering degree is the closes to physics? we have a degree at my school called Engineering science, would that be a good choice? Thank everyone for their input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Have you looked into Medical Physics. Look into programs, try to job shadow a medical physicist and keep asking questions here. I've read that people have gone on to medical physics with an engineering degree but I'd call program directors of the various schools and see what the reality is.

Pawriter said:
Have you looked into Medical Physics. Look into programs, try to job shadow a medical physicist and keep asking questions here. I've read that people have gone on to medical physics with an engineering degree but I'd call program directors of the various schools and see what the reality is.[/QUOTE

Thanks I will look into that

Hello,

It sounds like you are facing a difficult decision between pursuing a degree in engineering or physics. While both fields have their own unique strengths and opportunities, it's important to consider your personal interests and career goals in making this decision.

Firstly, it's important to recognize that engineering and physics are closely related fields and many concepts and principles overlap between the two. So, even if you choose to pursue a degree in engineering, you will still have the opportunity to explore and learn about the mysteries of the universe through your coursework and research.

In terms of job market, it's true that engineering may have more opportunities compared to physics at the undergraduate level. However, this doesn't mean that a physics degree is not valuable. There are many industries and fields that value the analytical and problem-solving skills that come with a physics degree, such as finance, healthcare, and technology.

Regarding your question about pursuing a graduate degree in physics with an engineering degree, it is definitely possible. In fact, having a strong background in engineering can be beneficial in certain areas of physics, such as materials science or applied physics. As for the specific engineering degree that would be the closest to physics, it would depend on your interests and the specific courses offered at your school. Engineering science may be a good option, but I would recommend researching the curriculum and talking to professors or students in the program to get a better understanding of the courses and how they align with your interests in physics.

Ultimately, my advice would be to follow your passion and choose the major that truly excites you. Both engineering and physics are challenging and rewarding fields, and with hard work and dedication, you can find success and opportunities in either one. I wish you the best of luck in making your decision.

Related to Should I Choose Engineering or Physics for My Major?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it's important to think about your interests, skills, and values. You should also consider the job market and potential career opportunities in your chosen field.

2. How do I decide between two or more majors?

It can be difficult to choose between multiple majors. One strategy is to take classes in both fields to see which one you enjoy more. You can also speak with academic advisors and professionals in the fields to gain more insight.

3. Can I change my major once I've already started college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major during college. However, it's important to consider any potential impacts on your graduation timeline and financial aid. It's best to speak with your academic advisor before making a decision.

4. What if I don't have a specific career in mind for my major?

Many students don't have a specific career in mind when choosing a major, and that's okay. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as well as provides a well-rounded education that can be applied to various career paths.

5. Is it okay to choose a major based on potential job prospects?

While job prospects are an important consideration, it's also important to choose a major that you are genuinely interested in and will enjoy studying. Your passion and dedication for your major will ultimately lead to a successful career, even if job prospects may not seem as promising at the moment.