Should I Choose Electrical or Civil Engineering Despite Job Market Trends?

In summary: However, that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of interesting and exciting work in the field of electrical engineering.
1kk
I'm having a trouble deciding what engineering field should I go. I'm a student in a community college and studying physics right now. I'm fascinated anything that associate with electricity. Although I haven't learned the physics about the electricity yet(but I will learn it next quarter).

Anyway, my professor told me it's not a good idea to major in EE (Electrical Engineering). And he also told me the market for EE student isn't good as CE (Civil Engineering). He also mentioned that the employment growth. The biomedical, environmental, and civil have the biggest growth. And the employment of electrical engineers just grow 2%. Therefore, civil, biomedical, environmental has a very HUGE demand.

Also, I think the stuff that learn in EE change very fast, because technology change fast. Civil seems don't change that fast.

Right now, I would like to go to Electrical engineering, Environmental engineering and Civil engineering. But I like EE the most, follow by Environmental, and Civil. In fact, I don’t really like to build road, airport, and that kind of stuff. This is like a life time decision, what should I do? (Civil for job and money, electrical for interest and dreams) Also, I have to feed my parent after I graduate. Please tell me anything that come up in your mind. I need to make the decision within this month.
BTW, I‘m an international student. If there is any point that you don’t understand, please ask me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do what your interested in doing. It's a lot better to have a job that you somewhat enjoy vs. working a job you hate for the next 40-60 years of your life...

Also electrical engineering is quite a broad field which covers a lot of topics. Signals, control theory, analog/digital circuits, solid state electronics, IC's, ASIC's, computer architecture, device fabrication, etc..

A lot of these topics are covered in other engineering fields as well. Most notably is biomedical engineering. There is a large demand for electrical engineers in the biomedical industry because (I would say almost 90%+) of the devices engineered are electrical in nature. There is a HUGE demand for low power consumption devices as well as signals experts for things like MRI devices

why are those topics are covered in other engineering?
Can i study those with Civil Engineering?

Well sort of.

Control theory does play an interesting part. In terms of electrical engineering control theory figures out how to control electrical signals to accomplish some set goal.

In civil engineering instead of trying to control electrical signals, civil engineerings would be thinking about how to control people/water/sewage among other things. If you want to plan a new road for instance you need to be sure that traffic won't be grid locked (completely stopped) at peak (rush) hours. Things like that.

What kind of job can I get, if i had a degree of EE? Also, compare to CE, and Environment Engineering, what kind of work are they really do?

Chances are you could still get hired with a degree in any engineering field. I literally don't know a single person that has graduated with an engineering degree and failed to find work after about 6 months after graduation. While electrical engineering jobs are not projected to grow by a lot they are still projected to grow.

I can't really speak a lot about the day of a typical electrical engineer as I'm still a student and most of my work experience is with OLED displays which was more of a physics/chemical perspective.

OK. Great Help, thanks. I think i will go EE. :D

Electricity/ electromagnetism is a *must* subject in EE, but that doesn't mean EE has strong connection with electricity. Nowadays many fields of EE have to do more with math than physics. So do think carefully about that. It may not look like what you think it is. EE has gone far away from the era of Maxwell and his electromagnetic field theory.

Anyway I still suggest that you should go for what you love to do. A huge demand in the future in CE doesn't guarantee jobs for every CE graduates. But do decide with care.

i read some posts in this forum that said EE actually is pretty boring

Most people find any kind of engineering/science/math boring, and, for the most part, they're right.

Related to Should I Choose Electrical or Civil Engineering Despite Job Market Trends?

1. What is the main difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Computer Engineering (CE)?

The main difference between EE and CE is their focus. EE primarily deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while CE focuses on the design and development of computer systems and hardware. CE also incorporates elements of software engineering and programming.

2. Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both EE and CE have great job prospects and salary potential. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineers was $98,530 in May 2020, while for computer hardware engineers it was $119,560. Ultimately, job prospects and salary potential can vary based on individual skills, experience, and the job market.

3. What skills are required for a career in EE or CE?

A strong foundation in math and physics is essential for both EE and CE. In addition, EE requires knowledge of circuit analysis, signal processing, and electronics, while CE requires proficiency in computer architecture, programming languages, and software design. Both fields also require problem-solving, critical thinking, and strong communication skills.

4. Can I switch from EE to CE or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from EE to CE or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework or training. EE and CE have some overlapping concepts, but they also have distinct areas of focus. It is important to research the curriculum and requirements of each program to determine the feasibility of switching.

5. How do I decide between EE and CE as a major?

Choosing between EE and CE as a major ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about working with electronics and power systems, EE may be a better fit. If you are more interested in computer hardware and software, CE may be the right choice. It is also helpful to talk to current students and professionals in both fields to gain insight and make an informed decision.