Should I Choose a Management Minor or Focus on Physics and Math Classes?

• Thread starter pete5383
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: For Applied Linear Algebra and Applied Fourier Analysis, I'm not sure if they're really needed for my career path, but they're things I really want to learn. Thanks for the advice everyone!In summary, Warren is considering going to grad school to study physics and mathematics, and wants to get some research experience to show that he has experience in both fields. He's also considering getting a management minor. He's been told that EE majors are often put into management positions, but he wants to study more quantum physics and potentially take classes to get a math minor. He's also considering taking classes to help him with his career goals.
pete5383
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to register for spring classes, and I'd like to get some opinions on some things. First off, I'm a sophomore in Electrical Engineering, and I plan on going to grad school for a masters. I talked to my advisor the other day, and we discussed projects he's working on, and he talked about some that involved quantum effects, and I was really interested in that, and think it's something I might like to get more involved with. He suggested trying to get some research experience with both the EE and Physics departments, to show that I've had experience in both, which I fully plan on doing. I've always wanted to know more about quantum mechanics, because so far I have a pretty superficial knowledge of it.

Earlier on the boards, someone suggested that EE majors are often put into management positions, and that a Management minor is a good idea, if only for helping get farther in my career. So that was one option I was considering. But after talking with my advisor, I'd love to study more quantum physics and possibly take some more advanced math classes.

The physics/math classes I would take would not count towards my major, or towards getting a double major (they could -possibly- net me a physics or math minor, but it's not likely). The Management minor seems like it would be the smart idea to help out with my career later on, but honestly, I'm much more interested in physics than in management...so my question is, which seems like the better investment? Management minor, or more random physics/math classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the classes that interest you. You can always return to take business classes (MBA, etc) later in your career if you want to go into management. My philosophy is to study what you are passionate about and the career and job stuff will take care of itself.

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards as well...I can come back for an MBA (possibly, who knows if I'll ever want to...) even if I didn't take any business classes as an undergrad?

EDIT:

Also, while I'm asking about classes, which do you think is more helpful to an EE major:

Applied Linear Algebra
or
Differential Equations with Applications

I've taken the intro level Linear Algebra and Diff eq, and neither of them were too difficult. Thank you :)

Last edited:
I guess I've expanded my choices to three:

Applied Linear Algebra
Differential Equations wiith Applications
Applied Fourier Analysis

Anyone have any advice for me on these classes? Also, how hard is Fourier Analysis? I've had very little in the way of the Fourier series, other than a very little bit in my Circuits class. All three classes say that the only prereqs are classes that I've already taken. Thank you

Last edited:
Fourier analysis is actually used all over the place, as are differential equations.

We really need to know more about your goals to tell you which to pick, however. Do you want to design circuits? Analog? Digital? Both? Do you want to work as an applications engineer, or test engineer? Do you want to do power electronics? Do you want to work for a power company? Do you want to design automotive electronics? There are a million kinds of EE jobs, ranging from pure designer to pure end-user, and your interests should guide which classes you pick.

- Warren

I haven't really got far enough to decide exactly what it is I'd like to do, but my advisor and I were talking about some things like quantum effects in nanoelectronics (for instance, one thing he talked about was how he was studying quantum tunneling in increasingly small transistors), and those kind of things I am really interested in. I guess I would like to work more with design and research of circuits and microelectronics. Sorry if I'm not very specific, I've only had basic Circuits and a Digital Design class so far, so I'm just kind of looking at what would help me out most in general as I get farther along.

Edit:
What I've gathered from a little discussion is that, if I don't really have a specified area of interest yet, Differential Equations seems to be the best?

Last edited:

Related to Should I Choose a Management Minor or Focus on Physics and Math Classes?

1. When can I register for classes?

Registration dates vary depending on the institution and the specific term. It is important to check your school's academic calendar or speak with an academic advisor to determine the registration dates for the upcoming term.

2. How do I register for classes?

The registration process may differ slightly between institutions, but typically it involves logging into the school's online portal or registration system and selecting the desired courses. Some schools may also require students to meet with an academic advisor before registering for classes.

3. Can I change my class schedule after registering?

It is possible to make changes to your class schedule after registering, but it may depend on the specific policies of your institution. Some schools may allow students to add or drop classes within a certain timeframe, while others may have stricter deadlines or require approval from an academic advisor or department.

4. What if the class I want is full?

If the class you want is already full, you may be able to join a waitlist or speak with the instructor to see if they can make an exception and allow you to enroll. If not, you can look for alternative classes or try to register for the class during a future term.

5. Is there a limit to the number of classes I can register for?

The maximum number of classes you can register for will depend on your school's policies and your individual schedule. Some institutions may have a limit on the number of credits or classes a student can take per term, while others may allow students to take as many classes as they can handle.