Should i break up with my new GF ?

• Thread starter EternityMech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the conversation is about a person who does not know the difference between astronomy and astrology, and whether or not that is a dealbreaker in a relationship. The discussion also touches on the importance of shared interests and the fact that intelligence and knowledge cannot be judged based on one aspect. Ultimately, it is suggested that compatibility and mutual respect are more important in a relationship than a shared interest in a specific subject.
EternityMech
she doesn't know the difference between astronomy and astrology.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is she willing to learn the difference?
Does she know how to use proper capitalization?
If I would have automatically broken up with somebody because they didn't know something I did, I would have missed out on many amazing times.
Different things are important to different people, that should be obvious, perhaps she should break up with you?
If someone is good to me, and we can share some of our likes, I don't care if they know what CMBR is. If they tell me how my day is going to go because I was born a fish, I might give a little eyebrow though.

EternityMech said:

Does she know more about the latter than the former? If so, dump her asap.

she def knows more about astrology than astronomy, she basically didn't know it was "connected" to physics.
but she's hot so...

EternityMech said:
but she's hot so...
I think you just found your answer then

Charmar said:
Does she know how to use proper capitalization?

*snork* :biggrin:

I don't think my wife can tell you the difference between a derivative or an integral. Heck, I'm nearly positive that her science knowledge ends somewhere around 10th grade. Nevertheless, she attended NYU and knows more about gardening than I could ever comprehend. What matters more in a partner is not what they know, but how you two get along and interact with each other. If you look at her as dumb because she doesn't know the difference, then it probably isn't going to workout because you have formed such a low opinion of her that will probably only escalate as time goes on.

EternityMech said:
but she's hot so...
This kind of comment makes me think she should dump you and be better for it.

Aside from that I agree with Marnemath. Relationships don't have to rely much on shared interests over complementary personalities.

I agree with MarneMath. That being said if something like this is making you question the relationship, maybe there are bigger problems to begin with?

Perhaps it is not her lack of knowledge, in an intellectual sense, that bothers you so; but rather the self-importance of your own affection toward science and your hidden personal insecurity of that interest that is the root of the problem. This causes you to perceive her flippancy and levity toward your "hobby" as an affront, and you fear the devaluation of one of your life's pursuits.

One cannot gauge the substance of a person based on a single aspect.

MarneMath said:
Nevertheless, she attended NYU and knows more about gardening than I could ever comprehend.

I hear they've got a top ten gardening program.

i just don't want dumb kids if that makes sense...

EternityMech said:

You have about 3/2 of a year to decide as that's how long most relationships last.

You could ask her to do a reading about your future together and then you'll know for sure :-)

EternityMech said:

The level of intellect your kids would have will be based on how they are raised which is both the mom and dads responsibility. Like me and my girlfriend's dog, she's able to shake hands with strangers. Smart little ***** she is :rolleyes:

EternityMech said:
But they would be 'hot' so it would not matter.

bp_psy said:
But they would be 'hot' so it would not matter.
That is creepy on so many levels

EternityMech said:
I had that issue with a girl. After a while, she learned, but still did it to annoy me and/or slipped every now and then. It most certainly is not on its own a good enough reason to break up with someone.

Related to Should i break up with my new GF ?

1. Why should I break up with my new girlfriend?

There could be several reasons why you may be considering breaking up with your new girlfriend. Some common reasons include lack of compatibility, constant arguments or fights, and feelings of unhappiness or dissatisfaction in the relationship.

2. How do I know if it's the right time to break up?

Deciding when to break up with someone is a personal and difficult decision. It's important to carefully assess your feelings and the state of the relationship. If you feel unhappy or unsatisfied consistently, it may be a sign that it's time to end the relationship.

3. Should I give the relationship more time before making a decision?

It's always a good idea to give a relationship a fair chance before deciding to end it. However, if you have been experiencing consistent issues or red flags, it may be best to trust your instincts and consider ending the relationship sooner rather than later.

4. How do I break up with my new girlfriend in a respectful and kind manner?

Breaking up with someone is never easy, but it's important to be honest and respectful in the process. Choose a private and calm setting to have the conversation, and be clear and direct about your feelings and reasons for wanting to end the relationship. Avoid blaming or attacking your partner, and try to end things on a positive note.

5. What should I do after breaking up with my new girlfriend?

After breaking up with your girlfriend, it's important to take care of yourself emotionally. Allow yourself time to grieve and process the end of the relationship. Reach out to friends and family for support, and engage in activities or hobbies that bring you joy and help you move on. It's also important to avoid contact with your ex-partner for a while to give yourself space and time to heal.