Should I bother with grad school?

In summary, if you plan on getting a PhD in physics, it's important to have a clear career plan and to be passionate about the subject.
MathMarvel
I'm considering applying to get into a master's program in physics, and I'm under the impression that I will be able to get into such a program. My question is should I bother? Will I be able to land a career, or will I just eventually end up with a nice looking PhD on the wall in my cardboard box home?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize whether or not you will be "successful" depends on your own characteristics?

Should you "bother" to get a graduate degree in physics? Well, what are your goals? What is your career plan?

Also, masters =/= PhD.

Also also, this:
mr. vodka said:
You do realize whether or not you will be "successful" depends on your own characteristics?

Alright, I know a master's isn't a PhD, but due to my background I'd likely have to go into a master's program first with the intent of getting a PhD afterwards since I got my bachelor's degree in theoretical math. You do ask good question though, bcb. I guess I don't have much in the way of a career plan, which is why I'm wondering if I should work towards graduate degrees in a topic that interests me, or if I should just hold off until I find something that I know I want to dedicate my life to. I'm starting to think that I won't find such a thing though.

MathMarvel said:
I guess I don't have much in the way of a career plan, which is why I'm wondering if I should work towards graduate degrees in a topic that interests me, or if I should just hold off until I find something that I know I want to dedicate my life to. I'm starting to think that I won't find such a thing though.
Maybe you should try going on some job shadows in fields that your curious about and seeing if you like them. Or even taking a career exploration class.

A PhD is not going to do work for you.

For most people graduate school is a considerable challenge and a significant investment. Even for a 2 year master's degree, you're looking at 2 years of lost potential income. For a PhD it's much more. On average, advanced degrees still correlate with higher salaries, but in individual cases, there are no guarantees.

If you're really interested in learning to become a researcher, if you have a strong passion for your field and you've done some work to investigate what's involved then graduate school might be the right decision for you. If you're just doing it because you're not sure what to do with the rest of your life, this may not be the best decision.

Good advice, I think I'll just hold off for now and substitute teach in the meantime so I can get by until I figure something out.

Related to Should I bother with grad school?

1. Should I bother with grad school?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. Grad school can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, which can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries. However, it also requires a significant time and financial commitment.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding whether to pursue grad school?

Some important factors to consider include your career goals, the job market and demand for your chosen field, the cost of tuition and living expenses, and the potential for funding or scholarships. It's also important to research the program and its curriculum to ensure it aligns with your interests and goals.

3. Will grad school guarantee me a job?

No, grad school does not guarantee a job. However, it can provide advanced skills and knowledge that may make you a more competitive job candidate. Networking opportunities and internships during grad school can also increase your chances of securing a job after graduation.

4. Is it better to go straight to grad school after college or gain work experience first?

This depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Some careers may require work experience before pursuing grad school, while others may benefit from gaining advanced knowledge and skills early on. It's important to research the requirements and expectations of your chosen field.

5. Are there alternatives to grad school that can still advance my career?

Yes, there are alternative paths to advancing your career. These may include professional certifications, online courses, or on-the-job training. It's important to research and consider all options to determine the best path for your individual goals and circumstances.