Should I be so concerned about which math courses I take?

• Thread starter stgermaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary: I definitely agree with that. In summary, the individual is a math major starting in the next semester as a junior. They have taken linear algebra and calc III at a community college and are now at a new college with only 2 years left. They are debating between taking algebra, computational algebra, or applied algebra, as well as a statistics or stochastic processes course. It is recommended to start with discrete mathematics, introduction to statistics, and/or introduction to probability. The individual is also advised to consider their goals and the usefulness of courses in their desired field. It is suggested to focus on completing the math requirements for the major and not to overload on math courses. It is also recommended to seek advice from an academic advisor for more personalized help.
stgermaine
Hi. I will be a math major starting nex semester as a junior.
I transferred from a CC, so the only math courses I have taken are linear algebra and calc III.

I only have 2 years left at the college I've transferred into and there are just so many courses I want to take.

Should I be so concerned about which courses I take? For example, I'm debating whether to take algebra, computational algebra, or applied algebra. Should I take a statistics course or a stochastic processes course? Of course, it's wise to think seriously about my courseload and the knowledge I'll gain from the courses, but if I am motivated and study a lot, it shouldn't matter very much, right?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think discrete mathematics, introduction to statistics and/or introduction to probability are good courses to start your major with.

stgermaine said:
...I'm debating whether to take algebra, computational algebra, or applied algebra. Should I take a statistics course or a stochastic processes course? ......
Thank you

First of all, what are you goals/end-goal? What do you want to be able to do ... I ask because, if you are studying applied math, there's usually some goal you have even if it's just "They're used everywhere"

I'd definitely recommend a hardcore computation linear algebra/numerical methods course course if you want to get into applied math... Everything is a matrix equation upper level applied math... (i.e., it's the model the PhD's are using ... ) This would be useful.

Statistics and stochastic processes are also used everywhere, although I wouldn't take stoch. procs until you've had a good firm basis in probability.

Above all, it sounds like your mostly missing differential equations. Differential Equations are maybe the only math I'd say is more prevalent than statistics/stochastic processes.

stgermaine said:
I transferred from a CC, so the only math courses I have taken are linear algebra and calc III.

I only have 2 years left at the college I've transferred into and there are just so many courses I want to take.

Should I be so concerned about which courses I take? For example, I'm debating whether to take algebra, computational algebra, or applied algebra. Should I take a statistics course or a stochastic processes course? Of course, it's wise to think seriously about my courseload and the knowledge I'll gain from the courses, but if I am motivated and study a lot, it shouldn't matter very much, right?

Thank you

Why not ask for this advice from an academic advisor at your institution? They will be much better placed to help you than random strangers on the internet

Start by completing the math requirements for the math major. By the time you're done, you may already be graduating. If not, then the experience of taking those upper-division courses will help you to decide what else you're interested in doing.

Don't load up on too many math courses. You can always learn more math later, but after you graduate it will be too late to do anything more about getting a well-rounded education.

jk said:
Why not ask for this advice from an academic advisor at your institution? They will be much better placed to help you than random strangers on the internet

Yep.

Related to Should I be so concerned about which math courses I take?

1. What is the importance of taking specific math courses?

Taking specific math courses can greatly impact your future academic and career opportunities. Math is a fundamental subject that is used in various fields such as science, technology, engineering, and finance. Certain math courses, such as calculus and statistics, are prerequisites for many higher-level courses and are required for certain majors or professions.

2. Will taking more math courses make me a better problem solver?

Yes, taking more math courses can improve your problem-solving skills. Math courses teach critical thinking, logical reasoning, and analytical skills that are essential for problem-solving. These skills can be applied to various real-life situations, making you a more effective problem solver.

3. Can taking advanced math courses benefit me even if I am not majoring in a math-related field?

Yes, taking advanced math courses can benefit you in many ways, even if you are not majoring in a math-related field. These courses help develop abstract thinking, logical reasoning, and problem-solving skills that are transferable to other subjects and fields. Additionally, many employers value candidates who have a strong mathematical background, regardless of their field of study.

4. Is it necessary to take certain math courses in high school to be successful in college?

While it is not necessary to take specific math courses in high school, it can be beneficial. Many colleges require students to have completed certain math courses in high school, such as algebra and geometry, to be eligible for admission. Additionally, taking advanced math courses in high school can prepare you for the rigor of college-level math courses.

5. What should I consider when choosing which math courses to take?

When choosing which math courses to take, you should consider your future academic and career goals, the prerequisites for your desired major or profession, and your strengths and interests in math. It is also helpful to consult with a guidance counselor or academic advisor for guidance on which courses would be most beneficial for you.