Short exact sequences and group homomorphisms

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of internal direct products in abstract algebra. The short exact sequence given is used to show that G is isomorphic to the direct product of N and H. The speaker has already proven several properties, including the injectivity of phi and the surjectivity of psi. They also note that H is isomorphic to G/N. To prove that G is isomorphic to N x H, the speaker suggests using the natural projection mapping and incorporating the mapping j. They also mention that in the finite case, internal direct products are isomorphic to external direct products.
myownsavior
Abstract algebra question. Given the short exact sequence

[tex]$ 1 \longrightarrow N \longrightarrow^{\phi} G \longrightarrow^{\psi} H \longrightarrow 1 $[/tex]

I need to show that given a mapping [tex]$ j: H \longrightarrow G[/tex], and [tex]$ \psi \circ j = Id_h $[/tex] (the identity on H), then [tex]$ G \cong N \times H[/tex]. (The internal direct product).

So far I have proved the following: [tex]$ \phi $[/tex] is injective, [tex]$ \psi $[/tex] is surjective, N is normal in G, and [tex]$ H \cong G/N $[/tex].

Now since I know [tex]$ H \cong G/N $[/tex], for this isomorphism [tex]$ G \cong N \times H[/tex] to be true, wouldn't I need to show that G/N is normal in G?

I think the natural projection mapping is the right path (mapping g in G to its coset in G/N), but I can't get it to be an internal direct product..

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use j at some point. Note that the image of j is isomorphic to H.

Edit: Are N, G, H supposed to be abelian? Otherwise you only get a "twisted direct product".

I think I got it, K: NxH -> G, taking (n,h) -> n*j(h). I forgot that internal direct products are isomorphic to the external direct products in the finite case.

Related to Short exact sequences and group homomorphisms

1. What is a short exact sequence?

A short exact sequence is a sequence of groups, homomorphisms, and exact sequences where each group is connected to the next by a homomorphism, and the sequence is exact at each group. This means that the image of each homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next homomorphism in the sequence.

2. What is the significance of a short exact sequence?

Short exact sequences are important in group theory because they provide a way to break down a larger group into smaller, more manageable pieces. They also allow us to study the relationship between different groups and their structures.

3. How are short exact sequences related to group homomorphisms?

Group homomorphisms are used to connect the different groups in a short exact sequence. Each homomorphism maps elements from one group to another in a way that preserves the group structure. They are crucial in establishing the exactness of the sequence.

4. Can you give an example of a short exact sequence?

One example of a short exact sequence is 0 → Z/2Z → Z/4Z → Z/2Z → 0. This sequence demonstrates the exactness at each group, with the kernel of the first homomorphism being {0}, the image of the first homomorphism being {0}, and the image of the second homomorphism being {0}.

5. How can short exact sequences be used in real-world applications?

Short exact sequences have various applications in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. They are used to study the structure of different groups and their relationships, and also have applications in coding theory and cryptography. They can also be used in algebraic topology to study the topology of spaces.