Shock when touching an electric fence

In summary, if you are grounded and touch an electric fence that is at 10,000V, you will experience a shock.
BLaH!
Hello Everyone,
If you are grounded and touch an electric fence that is at 10,000V, say, you will experience a shock. What happens if you were to jump in the air when touching the fence? Would you still feel a shock?

I'm getting confused because even in the air, your body is still at the potential of ground (say 0V) and thus, there will be a potential difference between the fence and your body. So you will get some charge transferred until you are at the same potential as the fence. However, is this charging enough to shock you?

It seems to me that the shock you feel when you are grounded comes from the sustained current that flows from the fence to ground through your body. Therefore, you wouldn't feel much of a shock if you touched the fence when jumping in the air.

This is similar to why birds don't get shocked when sitting on power lines. Anyone have better though out answers to these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have understood it correctly.

If the fence is at 10000 volts with respect to the ground and you touch it having jumped in the air the only current that will flow is the charge required to charge you (since now you are a capacitor) to the same potential as the fence. Your capacitance is about 100 pF = 10^-10 Farads. A capacitor of capacitance C charged to a voltage V needs a charge of Q given by Q= C*V. Hence Q is about
10^-6 Coulombs

A charge Q flowing in time t is a current of Q/t amps. A reasonable time for t is given by the resistance of the connection R by t = 0.6*R*C and a good estimate for R is 200 ohms so t is
about 1.2 milliseconds hence the current is less than a milliamp for less than a millisecond. Not painful !

But if you stay on the ground and touch the fence you get all the current it can give as long as you are stupid enough to stay connected.

The birds you mention have a much lower capacitance than you so the current is trivial for them.

PS when out in the countryside never take a leak against a bush which may have an electric fence behind it – I did once and it is very defiantly not to be recommended :(

Related to Shock when touching an electric fence

1. What causes a shock when touching an electric fence?

When touching an electric fence, the shock is caused by the flow of electricity from the fence through your body and into the ground. This happens because your body is a conductive material and the electric current is looking for the easiest path to the ground.

2. How much voltage is in an electric fence?

The voltage in an electric fence can vary, but it is typically between 2,000 and 10,000 volts. However, the amperage (the amount of current flowing) is very low, so the shock is not usually dangerous to humans or animals.

3. Can you die from touching an electric fence?

It is highly unlikely to die from touching an electric fence. As mentioned before, the amperage in an electric fence is typically very low, so it is not enough to cause serious harm. However, it is always important to exercise caution and avoid touching an electric fence whenever possible.

4. How can I avoid getting shocked by an electric fence?

The best way to avoid getting shocked by an electric fence is to stay away from it. If you need to work near an electric fence, make sure to turn off the power before doing so. If you accidentally touch an electric fence, do not panic and try to quickly move away from it. It is also important to never touch an electric fence with wet hands or when standing in water.

5. What should I do if I get shocked by an electric fence?

If you get shocked by an electric fence, the first thing to do is to stay calm. The shock is usually brief and not harmful, so there is no need to panic. If you experience any symptoms such as dizziness, heart palpitations, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately. Otherwise, you can simply wait for the shock to pass and then carefully move away from the fence.